2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be fine mate, I went for the first time when I was your age, back when the "riots" were on and I was fine then. Personally I've never had anything nicked, but it can happen sometimes, but there's no point bringing anything valuable anyway, worse thing that somebody could filch from you is a couple of tins of beer. Most of the trouble people can run into at Leeds is only stuff you bring on yourself really (ie. drinking too much).

I'm really hoping for a main stage line-up that looks something like this;

Leeds Friday

Kasabian

Bloc Party

Leeds Saturday

Foo Fighters

Pixies

Leeds Sunday

The Cure

Morrissey

Those three undercards will make up for the Foos and Kasabian headlining, and I'd rather finish my weekend at the main stage with the band I most want to see, so I'm hoping that's where The Cure will be. Maybe I'm being over-optimistic but Moz followed by The Cure would be damn near perfect for me, throw Bloc Party and Pixies into that mix and that's the sort of weekend I'd give limbs for. In terms of tent headliners I'd like to see Dinosaur Jr. in FR one night and it would be nice to get a Lock-Up headliner I'd like to see, never actually done that before. Wombats/Chase and Status for NME against The Cure would be ideal, keep away any herberts from main.

The Cure have more record sales than most of last years headliners put together. Pretty sure they have more sales than Muse too. We're talking about a band that could headline any festival, the only problem with Reading is the demographics..in that respect that have a similar amount in common than headliners such as Pixies, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins and Arcade Fire.

Edited by jump

Hello i am currently making a poster. Any idea's of bands you feel would be good behind Green Day as a sub. Alot of other forums seem to suggest SOAD but i feel that they are too big and would if anything get a headline spot.

Although its obvious that Green day + the foos would both want 2hrs. Anyone else thought that it could be SOAD, Kasabian and Foos. Just an idea. Would be epic!

Hello i am currently making a poster. Any idea's of bands you feel would be good behind Green Day as a sub. Alot of other forums seem to suggest SOAD but i feel that they are too big and would if anything get a headline spot.

Although its obvious that Green day + the foos would both want 2hrs. Anyone else thought that it could be SOAD, Kasabian and Foos. Just an idea. Would be epic!

Bit of context and I don't think they have sold more albums than most them put together, they only have 1 platinum album in the UK and that wasn't even a studio album where as all of last year's headliners have had more than 1. Will you stop saying they can headline any festival when the major UK fests have had no intrest in them for at least a decade now. With Pixies & Smashing Punpkins as has already been said to you load of times it was off the back of a reformation and Aracde Fire were a band on the up also NIN have never headline R&L.

Edited by beau1

I didn't say in the UK, I'll be very surprised if The Strokes, Pulp, MCR combined have a total of more than 32 million album sales world-wide (roughly what The Cure's figure is).

Which is the Cure album that went Platinum in the UK? Greatest Hits? I've heard 'Boys Don't Cry' went platinum over here, but I don't believe for a second that went Platinum but Disintegration, Wish and KMKMKM didn't as they are much bigger albums.

Pixies and Smashing Pumkins is the same effect as The Cure are having, they aren't having a 'comeback' but the bestival appearance last year has proved to bookers that they are an act worthy of headlining UK Major festivals, Bestival is on the brink of being a major afterall.

I take your point about them not playing a major UK festival though, they went through a bad period about 12 years ago and have been trying to increase their reputation ever since.

I didn't say in the UK, I'll be very surprised if The Strokes, Pulp, MCR combined have a total of more than 32 million album sales world-wide (roughly what The Cure's figure is).

Which is the Cure album that went Platinum in the UK? Greatest Hits? I've heard 'Boys Don't Cry' went platinum over here, but I don't believe for a second that went Platinum but Disintegration, Wish and KMKMKM didn't as they are much bigger albums.

Pixies and Smashing Pumkins is the same effect as The Cure are having, they aren't having a 'comeback' but the bestival appearance last year has proved to bookers that they are an act worthy of headlining UK Major festivals, Bestival is on the brink of being a major afterall.

I take your point about them not playing a major UK festival though, they went through a very bad live period about 12 years ago and

have been trying to increase their reputation ever since, they even played much smaller euro festivals back then compared to now.

I did say in the UK and your missing the point again, The Cure have studio 13 albums and various best of, live etc albums and yet only 1 has gone planitum where as the others despite only having a handfull have more planitum albums.

Edited by beau1

Well, you've made the point - Bestival is 'on the brink of being a major festival'. There's no question about The Cure being any good as a headliner - Bjork headlined as well, was apparently awesome (according to mates who went anyhow), has she now proved herself 'worthy' of headlining a major UK festival again? or did she just play a great headline set a festival whose audience were already expected to appreciate her?

Yes and take a note of my original post. I did not say in the UK, maybe I should have specified world-wide but I thought that was obvious.

I'd dispute that The Cure have more than one UK platinum album in any case, as the only one which is certified Platinum according to the BPI is 'Boys Don't Cry' which is one of their first albums and is a far, far less popular album than the bigger sellers they've had.

So it's irrelevant and you're still not seeing the point, saying The Cure are massive because of massive sells in Bulgaria (Spinal Tap joke before you start) and the rest of the world have little relevance to a UK fest and that 32 million sales isn't as strong as you make out when they have released 20+ albums compared to bands that have only released 4ish and I suspect they have a better ratio of album sales.

Of course you dispute, fan boys argue always argue. Not that I am saying The Cure couldn't or shouldn't headline I'm saying you need to talk with a bit more logic in your arguements.

The cure, reading and Leeds? (1) no where near big enough after they headlined Bestival (2) Last year at leeds fest I was going to see Jane's addiction but they were called off so I went to see pulp and they had a very small crowd, saying know one was on the NME at the time. If the cure play with someone like enter shikari on the NME stage, the cure would have at least half the crowd pulp had, and they wouldn't make the same mistake again, they also must know about the request of heavier headliners (3)why would they play R&L when they would get a much more respectable crowd at latitude (they are rumoured for both R&L and latitude on efests) , Melvin Benn said on an interview that he is very happy with latitudes line-up this year, my money is on they play latitude and not R&L. I think Green Day could be the third headliner as MB knows they will sell out the tickets and with foo fighters and kasabian who have played alot of festivals last year and many people may have all ready seen them, Green Day are over due the appearance at R&L and many people who will go to R&L this year will have never seen them live.there maybe something about download and R&L swapping headliners (the prodigy and kasabian) which could also hint Green Day's aperance. Foo fighters kasabian and Green Day "Terrific headliners"