2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rolling Stones will be celebrating their 50th anniversary next year, would a classic era rock and roll band be welcome at Reading and Leeds?

They appeared at the first (National Jazz and Blues Festival ) Festival in 63 and were the headliners in 1964

Unlikely suggestions:

- A billionnaire celebrating their birthday at Reading and treating their friends

- A billionnaire getting married (not interested in Reading at all)

- Festival Republic better organising accommodation for staff, journos, guests (don't know what they normally do)

- A very introverted rock band who don't want to mix with anyone (Rush)

- An egotistical band / artist (suggestions as above)

- A very big band (apologies, but you'd really be looking at someone like Take That or JLS!)

Most Likely

- Crowne Plaza booking system failure / cock up

Edited by micawber

dream line up (just list of bands...not considering which stages they'd be in...and also trying to be a little realistic with the rumours so far or this could go on for ages):

the strokes (again..not gonna happen..but i wish!!)

radiohead

pixies

placebo

foo fighters

yuck

killers

daft punk

editors

interpol

dinasour jr (more of a wish than a prediction)

gorillaz

smith westerns

band of horses

little comets

bloc party

metronomy

best coast

the xx (havent performed in a while..)

mystery jets

also i dont understand why people are saying jay z/kanye west/dizzee rascal. r&b/hip hop acts hardly ever perform at reading, and if they do i think it will only be one of them, not all three..personally i'd prefer if NEITHER performed..if you want to see computer-generated top 40 trash then go to glasto where they have a mix of the reading line up and top 40 mainstream stuff...but reading should be left for more alternative/rock acts.

edit//: looking at previous line ups, 2009 looked so good! wish i could have been there...

Edited by bestsundaydress

FRIDAY

Kasabian, Mumford & sons, Youmeatsix, The Specials, Rancid, Modest mouse, The shins, The Drums, Four year strong, Best Coast, Arcane roots

NME/RADIO 1

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nero, Wolf Gang, Passion pit, Chad valley, VersaEmerge, My Passion, The Qemists, Tek one, Midi midis, Hawk eyes

FESTIVAL REPUBLIC

Beruit, Edward sharpe & the magnetic zeros, Gordon gano, Screaming females, fever fever

LOCK UP

Afi, Reel Big Fish, The Plight, Me vs Hero

SATURDAY

Blur, Beastie boys, The Courteeners, Snoop Dogg, Animal Collective, The Vaccines, Jamie t, OFWGKTA, Sound of rum, Tuneyards

NME/RADIO 1

Justice, Everything Everything, Delphic, M83, Dutch Uncles, Esben & the witch, Factory floor, High wire, Worriedaboutsatan

FESTIVAL REPUBLIC

Doom, Ghostface Killa, Hyro da Hero

LOCK UP

Yellowcard Fucked up, Melvins, This is hell, Turbogeist

SUNDAY

Tool, System of a down (Joint headline), Bullet for my valentine, Hole, Alice in chains, The Blackout, Killswitch engage, Billy talent, Cancer bats, Jim Jones Revue, Trash Talk

NME/RADIO 1

The xx, Death cab for cutie, Yuck, The Joy formidable, And so I watch you from afar, The sunshine underground, The Subways, Fixers, Christian aids, O children, Castrovalva

FESTIVAL REPUBLIC

Feeder, Benjamin Francis Leftwich

DANCE

CSS, Trentmoller, Kissy Sell out, Tensnake, The 2 Bears, Girl talk, Jamie xx, Jaguar Skills,

This Jay-Z and Kanye West thing is looking slightly likely now. It is the main option I could see if Kasabian don't play. Maybe Pheonix have grabbed them. And Dizzee 3rd under them is pretty logical.

I reckon the above poster pretty much has it spot on for the other days top 3 except Noel moving to 3rd and Vampire if playing, in a tent.

This Jay-Z and Kanye West thing is looking slightly likely now. It is the main option I could see if Kasabian don't play. Maybe Pheonix have grabbed them. And Dizzee 3rd under them is pretty logical.

I reckon the above poster pretty much has it spot on for the other days top 3 except Noel moving to 3rd and Vampire if playing, in a tent.

Friday Reading/Saturday Leeds

Kasabian

Bloc Party

Mumford and Sons

Vampire Weekend

The Vaccines

NME

Maximo Park

Saturday Reading/Sunday Leeds

Foo Fighters

Biffy Clyro

Limp Bizkit

BFMV

YouMeAtSix

NME

Chase and Status

Sunday Reading/Friday Leeds

Jay-Z

Kayne West

Dizzee Rascal

???

???

NME

Noel Gallagher

Regarding Jay-Z/Kanye West/Dizzy, I just can't see FR giving over the last four-and-a-half hours of the main stage to hip-hop/rnb. Having a bit of diversity and branching out is one thing but that seems way too much of a leap, essentially writing off the main stage for a whole evening for anyone who doesn't like a type of music that R&L isn't exactly well-known for.

Regarding Jay-Z/Kanye West/Dizzy, I just can't see FR giving over the last four-and-a-half hours of the main stage to hip-hop/rnb. Having a bit of diversity and branching out is one thing but that seems way too much of a leap, essentially writing off the main stage for a whole evening for anyone who doesn't like a type of music that R&L isn't exactly well-known for.

I can see it happening, watch the throne (jay z and kanye west) is going to be one of the biggest things to happen in years, both have crossover appeal, and throw in them playing the album and their own hits, you've got one memorable show. As for dizzee, he's as mainstream as it gets, and brings in the punters.

People have to bear in mind that the organisers played it safe this year, and it backfired on them, indie music in general isn't the in thing right now, it's all acts like example, swedish house mafia, and when the competition is as high as ever, with another big festival getting thrown into the fray next year, change is needed.