The National

Guest Flobadobalob

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see these guys, one of my favourite bands. Was so happy to see them in the lineup after it looked unlike that they'd be playing due to already headlining latitude.

For anyone that hasn't listened to them, get 'Alligator' and 'Boxer'. I remember when i first listened to them a couple of times and didn't think it was anything special, but then suddenly it clicked.

to be honest they could have headlined Reading. why not?

when arcade fire headlined last year some thought they were unworthy and they won the Grammys (which isn't a big deal)

and they performed one of the most memorable headlining slot (IMO)

if they had headlined, they would be regarded as one of the best books reading had done by next year.

i doubt if anyone's gonna be talking about MCR by next year but... i could be wrong. who knows?

i probably won't see them anyway. high hopes for lock up.

I can't really see them headlining personally. Arcade Fire have always had the sound, similar to Elbow, which could pull a headline audience and satisfy even those not into that sort of music. I can't see the National ever getting big enough to headline, but who knows their sound could develop.

I could see them headlining the NME tent in a few years though if the next album goes well (and follow the AF route of bringing out another 5* album after their original propulsion to the forefront of their genre).

I can't really see them headlining personally. Arcade Fire have always had the sound, similar to Elbow, which could pull a headline audience and satisfy even those not into that sort of music. I can't see the National ever getting big enough to headline, but who knows their sound could develop.

I could see them headlining the NME tent in a few years though if the next album goes well (and follow the AF route of bringing out another 5* album after their original propulsion to the forefront of their genre).

After reading through this thread last night I thought it would only be fair to give them a chance, already loving Bloodbuzz Ohio & can see the other albums growing on me up until Reading (much like Arcade Fire last year) and culminating in them being one of the bands I want to see most by the time the festival starts.

Well you are clearly not a good judge. Even if they're not your cup of tea, anyone with a touch of taste can see they're the best at what they do right now.

And the lack of popularity thing is just b/s. They are headlining Latitude, they are playing high up in festivals throughout Europe, they sold out successive nights at Brixton, they were in virtually all of the 'top 5 albums of 2010' lists (3rd in that 'aggregated' list I saw somewhere').

But yeah, maybe no need to come onto a thread about a band you've never listened to and make vacuous remarks.

Everyone should download Boxer, it's a great album. Like Elbow they are a hard working band who has been around for a while, and are great live. Unfortunately most people don't respect that because they are only becoming more popular now.

Great addition, can't wait to see them

The National's spot this year kinda reminds me of Arcade Fire in 2006. Similar situation. Massive cult fanbase for a band that hasn't yet really broken the mainstream. The critics love them, the NME readers love them, it's just the casual Radio 1 and MTV listeners that are yet to catch up. Given the Reading and Leeds audience that spot isn't far out of where thet should be. Maybe some festivals would put them third fourth from top (much like Arcade Fire cold have played 3rd from top in 2006 without anyone complaining) but this is just how R&L roll. They'll pull a big crowd.