£rd Headliner - Place your bets ....

Guest GTG

I did give the new PJH album a listen but not for me......after a few tracks I found myself absent-mindedly going to do the washing-up! Stuck it out to the end but with so many great new albums around at the moment I can't see it improving its impression on me.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of bad production, the worst production I've ever heard on an album was for Breeders "Mountain Battles" , Recorded by Steve Albini (IIRC). They were highly trumpetting the process as well, but it sounds like the band are quietly practising in next door's basement. It also features the worst guitar solo ever as well, but I suspect that was intentional.

I did give the new PJH album a listen but not for me......after a few tracks I found myself absent-mindedly going to do the washing-up! Stuck it out to the end but with so many great new albums around at the moment I can't see it improving its impression on me.

Edited by bennyhana22

I forgot to mention Tindersticks as an outside bet..... Having just seen the lovely line up for Molesey Folk Festival am slightly gutted that its now the same weekend as EOTR....but as Low Anthem are playing there it looks like they could also make EOTR, and am also hoping for Johnny Flynn

That saved me hurrying to the website with a tricky decision to make! I was sure I hadn't seen an e-mail announcement ......

I went to Moseley last year - it was the same weekend and therefore the week before EOTR and had a lovely time (I'd been twice before a couple of years back but I thought last year was a massive improvement all round). One major difference to EOTR, and everything else, is that it's non-camping, which would be a plus or minus, according to taste.

Thought exactly the same when I saw he was on tour. If it was a full band thing I would be delighted but isn't this tour a solo acoustic thing ?

Whatever, I am not usually blown away by the headliner announcements at EOTR. As many have said, its not about the headliners as there are so many other bands I want to see and it looks like it is the same this year. :)

Yes tour does appear to be a solo outing but from the comments on his facebook page - "please don't yell at me" perhaps he is breaking himself in - can't believe the Cardinals will be moth-balled for much longer.

Anyone going to see him - please recognise he is a genius, understand his frailities and please give him love and not tension - especially Manchester audiences with who I feel he can be quite frightened by.

Love him or lose him! The world of music has been poorer for his absence in the last couple of years

I'm so over Blind Pilot, I had Three Rounds and a Sound in 2009 and really liked it, so was excited when they were doing live dates, finally.

Saw them as a support for Surfer Blood and was hugely disappointed, they're still doing the songs off that album with only two new songs as new material. What a let down, I've spent nearly three years listening to that album and they hardly had anything new.

They lost me.

Adams is best off without The Cardinal, it all became very drowned in sound towards the end. He's much better off with doing some solo stuff for a while. Would be awesome to see him back at EOTR. I think he would be fine to headline on his own, get some Heartbreaker, Gold, Cold Roses and Easy Tiger on the go. Think it's a long shot though.

So, the question is, does that constitute a 'festival' appearance? It is called 'I'll Be Your Mirror Festival' on the ATP website. But, it's a single venue, indoor, two-day event. Hmmm. Even prior to this quandary I would have defined a festival as an outdoor event at which the majority of festival goers camped. As such, the Hyde Park Calling bollocks is not a festival. It's a series of outdoor concerts closely approximated in time! But that's obviously just my prejudice, though it pre-dates my anxiety that this announcement places on the chances of PJ Harvey headlining EoTR 2011. So what do you think, guys? If the 'truth' is that it is a festival then that's obviously a bummer, 'though it does mean I am safe from Grinderman! Oh Man! Wish it was Friday, for all sorts of reasons...

Ben

Edit: Sorry should have quoted perfectpassion's post above

Edited by bennyhana22

I just get this strong feeling that tomorrow's headliner announcement is going to be someone we haven't even considered. Like last year's Yo La Tengo announcement. Totally out of the blue and a "UK festival exclusive".

Thinking about it, it is more likely to be someone without something to promote, as it must be a hell of a lot easier to tie down an exclusivity deal if they're not planning on touring.

Oh, I don't know. I guess by this time tomorrow we'll have found out and we'll be celebrating/arguing accordingly.

I really don't get the overwhelming sense of disappointment the Latitude attendees seem to be expressing. That looks like a pretty stellar bill to me. Lots of stuff I would see and would welcome at EOTR. If they don't want The National, Suede, MMJ, Bright Eyes, Deerhunter, BSP etc. I'll gladly take them.

Latitude is getting pretty nasty in general. Shame cos this year's line up is pretty stellar.

Apropos of nothing at all, I like the name of the festival I just read in the top right scrolly thing - The Deer Shed. Sounds like it could be a new venue at EOTR :D sadly the line-up isn't anything like as appealing - Tom Williams and The Boat, and Frankie and the Heartstrings being two of the more underwhelming acts I saw at Latitude last year. The indie landfill site is this way, boys...

Latitude is getting pretty nasty in general. Shame cos this year's line up is pretty stellar.

Apropos of nothing at all, I like the name of the festival I just read in the top right scrolly thing - The Deer Shed. Sounds like it could be a new venue at EOTR :D sadly the line-up isn't anything like as appealing - Tom Williams and The Boat, and Frankie and the Heartstrings being two of the more underwhelming acts I saw at Latitude last year. The indie landfill site is this way, boys...