£rd Headliner - Place your bets ....

Guest GTG

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very underwhelmed by the Harpy. Saw her at the Green Man last year. Didn't like her. Wanted a proper band like the Decemberists. Quite disappointed that the EoTR should choose a headliner from last year's GM. Thousands of great bands to book. End up with rival festival's headliner from last year. However, overall line-up is excellent and can't wait for September.

f**k NOOOOOOOOOOO !

Really hard to be excited :(

Shouldn't of got my hopes up. Thats all 3 headliners now I wont be bothered about.

I have my tickets , and have loved EOTR the last 2 years but for me personally this years line up is a little low on thrills.

Ah well - I'm sure I'll come away with new faves as always B)

Oh, slightly mixed feelings for me. I really like her. Saw her at Latitude in '08 having done only a tiny bit of homework and was enchanted. Have never quite got to grips with Have One On Me as I feel I should have done. Perhaps the sheer size of it continues to intimidate me! But, I love The Milk-Eyed Mender and Y's. So why am I not slightly more excited? I think I was expecting something a little more 'middle-volume' for headliner no.3, to complement the softness of Beirut and the brutality of Mogwai. That, for me, would have hit the diversity nail on the head. And, I guess that was PJH for me. Having said all of that, I will now re-immerse myself in the JN portfolio and no doubt reach fever pitch come September. In fact, the Big Top headliners are going to need to be pretty good to disuade me from three evenings at the Garden Stage and I can't remember ever watching all three main stage headlining festival acts at one event...

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

I just don't see the appeal of JN. Girl on stage with harp, possibly the quietest instrument in the world other than a banjo. I'd see her as an afternoon act, but hardly likely to excite a late evening crowd. Still, maybe she will clash with The Fall in the Big Top so I won't be missing anything by going to see MES and co.

I saw Joanna Newsom at a tiny little show supporting Bill Callahan (of Smog, as he was referring to himself back then) at some Literary Society place in London just as Milk Eyed Mender came out. I walked away not really getting it, the affected vocals were just a little too grating.

Anyway, a year or so later, just before Vs came out, she played the United Sounds Of ATP thing (Sleater Kinney's day, I think) and she finally clicked with me. That was a totally solo show, but the Dirty 3 show a year later, she had a small backing band and it really worked. Not sure if she'll have accompaniment here or not, but I kind of hope so.

Anyway, despite being a little underwhelmed by Have One On Me, I'm pretty excited about this announcement. She'll be fantastic.

Sarabeth Tucek and Emmy the Great!!!!! Fabulous.

Am another not sure about Joanna Newsom headlining - not really one for standing about in the cold for. Though Have One On Me is not "just a girl and a harp" - a lot of the album is piano based anyway.

But then she was impossibly lovely at Latitude and I do love Ys - having not liked The milk-eyed mender at all.

Wonder if EOTR will get flexible like Wychwood? Ian Anderson is headlining the main stage on the Sunday - but he isn't on last - Transglobal Underground are. They did the same with Seth Lakeman last year to great success.

Happy with Joanna Newsom and will most likely be seeing all three Garden stage headliners for the second year in a row. Not really into Best Coast, Lykke Li or Emmy The Great though. As always I'll have to give all of the Local bands a listen as I haven't heard of many - the Cambodian Space Project sounds incredible though. :)

Hi All,

Long time no post ;)

I have said it before and I will say it again...Joanna Newsom is the only woman in the world that a married man is allowed to fall in love with...it is OK...it is expected. Her pixie-like, sideways singing and Latitude-word-forget endearment is truly enchanting, nay mesmerising and I for one will be stoked to see her play some of the intensely beautiful songs from Have One on Me...which in my mind is a masterpiece.

No "rocking out" but then look at the quiet brilliance of The Low Anthem and Iron and Wine last year. Here's hoping for another clear, crisp night and a bit of "81"..."I found a little plot of land..."

Lovin' It

Knuckles x