Best Albums of the Year so far.

Guest eagles69

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I got an early birthday present.... Okkervil River I Am Very Far and Metronomy The English Riviera ON VINYL. OR is a bit weird cos its 3 sides, not quite sure why, but on first lstening to the whole album it is their best so far, I like it even more that the Stand Ins. It also comes with a free download, how good is that!!!!

Metronomy is a guilty pleasure, and I am hugly surprised by how much it has grown on me, but then there aren't many albums dedicated to my little part of Devon. But not content with two albums I have also got some new cds, and Cloud Control is very EOTR I am loving it, having not really heard any of it before I bought it on impulse. Next on todays listening is Wild Beasts, Breathe Owl Breathe and the new Felice Bros!!!!!! :D:lol::rolleyes:

Yesterday I got an early birthday present.... Okkervil River I Am Very Far and Metronomy The English Riviera ON VINYL. OR is a bit weird cos its 3 sides, not quite sure why, but on first lstening to the whole album it is their best so far, I like it even more that the Stand Ins. It also comes with a free download, how good is that!!!!

New Felice album is a bit of a welcome departure, I am not a huge fan but this album is more to my taste. Its quite adventurous and I didn't hear an accordian once! Wild Beasts, not sure, I think I like it in small doses.... after a while his voice starts to annoy me, a bit like Jonathan Donahue Mercury Rev.

A new best album of the year 4 me now!! I am lucky enough to hear the new My Morning Jacket album (Circuital)early. Ten amazing songs all I can say is that it doesn't let me down. I have to admit I'm a massive fan but the best thing about them is that every album is different. Every song is amazing and so looking forward to hearing the new songs live at Somerset House with another gr8 band The Head and the Heart.

2 albums that have been getting a lot of love round these parts are Everything's Getting Older by Aidan Moffat and Bill Wells, and Everybody Friends Now by Singing Adams.

The Aidan Moffatt / Bill Wells one is some of the former's best work (certainly his best post Arab Strap) and features his usual mix of songs about failed romance, loneliness, getting old and death. It's really rather beautiful in places - particularly love the piano on "The Copper Top".

The Singing Adams effort shows a much more rounded band than the one that played EOTR last year. Saw them last week supporting Okkervil River and they really look like they're enjoying themselves which is good to see. Move On is the standout track for me on this LP...

New Felice Bros album is decent but each time I listen to it I get to the 6th or 7th track and put The Greatest Show On Earth or Penn Station on instead. I like the experimental approach but it's just no fun :( (except for the first track which I enjoy shouting along to).

New Woods album 'Sun & Shade' on the other hand is pure BLISS. Will be the highlight of the festival for sure along with CYHSY and Megafaun.

What about "Into the Murky Water" is the same as "The Sleeper"! I'm pretty disappointed...there are too many chord progressions, harmonies etc that are just too samey...I am fine with a band having a "sound" but it seems to me that some parts of the new songs have been pretty much "copied" (maybe the odd key change?) from songs on "The Sleeper". Still love them because i like their sound...but expected more creativity/difference.

Don't normally moan...sorry :(

Knuckles x

Hey, don't apologise Knuckles - I LOVE responses like that...i.e. someone who listens to, thinks about and analyses music in the rather OCD way that I do.

I don't disagree with your observation that there has not been much in the way of progression of their sound. Saying that, I still think that the quality of the songwriting and particularly the arrangements/production have created another LP of material that sustains interest and keeps you wanting to listen - rather than 'oh God, not more of this, I'm geting bored'. So, whilst perhaps Sleeper Part Deux, I would still say that overall the collection is stronger than its predecessor.

As for tUnE-yArDs...just superfunkalicious. And I'm glad, like me (and any iLiKETRAiNS old-skoolers) you feel the need to use the specific cases in their lettering. However, I'm pretty sure its a hyphen and not a space between 'tUnE' and 'yArDs'! 9/10. House Point.

Ben

Have stayed away from this forum this year because, though we bought tickets for what would be our 4th eotr in a row, it didn't look like we would go as our daughter starts school around that time. So I just couldn't take the pain! But have now managed to swing it that I can go after all, and I can't tell you all how happy that makes me! Addition of Okkervil River swung it, no way could I miss them.

Anyway, some of my albums of the year...

Wild Beasts - Smother (must revisit Limbo, Panto)

Wye Oak - Civilian (love this, a recent find).

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

East River Pipe - We Live In Rented Rooms

Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

Haven't given enough time yet to Bon Iver, Explosions In The Sky, Tune-Yards, Okkervil River, Fleet Foxes and many many others.....

Roll on Sept 2011.... :D

Have stayed away from this forum this year because, though we bought tickets for what would be our 4th eotr in a row, it didn't look like we would go as our daughter starts school around that time. So I just couldn't take the pain! But have now managed to swing it that I can go after all, and I can't tell you all how happy that makes me! Addition of Okkervil River swung it, no way could I miss them.

Anyway, some of my albums of the year...

Wild Beasts - Smother (must revisit Limbo, Panto)

Wye Oak - Civilian (love this, a recent find).

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

East River Pipe - We Live In Rented Rooms

Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

Haven't given enough time yet to Bon Iver, Explosions In The Sky, Tune-Yards, Okkervil River, Fleet Foxes and many many others.....

Roll on Sept 2011.... :D

Edited by perfectpassion

Welcome back....yep Okkervil River sure makes it worthwhile now! I have been looking at the Smith Westerns and wondering if I should buy the cd have only heard the single and hate listening to stuff on the computer, think you might have convinced me to make it my next purchase

Ah Treefight for Sunlight is good too!

I loved Okkeril in 09 but had never seen them before, so maybe you had been spoilt. I thought that it was Fleet Foxes who struggled to fill the space/time, as they didnt seem to have enough material for a whole one and a half hours, whereas Okkervil River have more than enough material to headline. I guess this year as they are so far down the bill they may not even be playing the Garden Stage??? I am really enjoying the latest album on 3 sides of vinyl along with Metronomy The English Rivera.

• 3 weeks later...