Low anthem questions

Guest Yokel Again

Anyone know what the 1st song that the Low Anthem played on the Garden Stage was this year? they started it at the very front of the stage as the stuff wasn't set up yet, then finished it off when all the speakers etc came on.

I think it was something about 'there's always a prettier girl'?

Any ideas? And which (if any) record its on?

Cheers in advance!

• 3 months later...

So.... the gig last night.

I have to say it was at no fault of the band themselves, but it was disappointing last night. The sound was dreaful from the start, and never ever got loud enough. The mix was so muddy. It was only the songs around x1 mic that you could hear anything. Then they had to stop due to more difficulties, but completely fair play to them.. they come up into the theatre to perform some songs .... absolutely brilliant and saved the gig IMHO.

Such a quiet band really do rely on a clear sound and last night it didn't happen.

Still probably my favourite band by a mile at the minute, but had really been looking forward to that gig. I felt disappointed for them too as it was a massive venue and the only one in London on this tour.

I'm glad you posted this. I was beginning to think it was just me - my hearing's not good so I thought it was my fault that things weren't clear. Most people seemed to love the show, but I was disappointed. Thought they were much better the two times I've seen 'em at EOTR, when I was right up the front.

Any idea what songs they played when they went unplugged in the audience? The second one was 'The Auld Triangle', what about the others?

Edited by Yokel Again

I feel bad for even criticising as they are a band a love... but it was very poor. Particulalry the loud songs. 'Smart Flesh' and 'Burn' sounded good. They were much better the x2 times I've seen them also (Glasto & last years EOTR - where the sound was inmpeccable). Such a shame.

They are talking about it on 6 now!......... (and you can't hear them!)

EDIT: Don't know what the songs were, one about whiskey! Def the gig highlight though - if only it wasn't too dark to video it properly.

I really enjoyed last night's gig - but we were sitting very close to the front so maybe that made a difference? Just booked to see them at the Roundhouse in November (and haven't completely given up hope of them appearing as a late booking at EOTR - forlorn as that may be!). One of the songs they sang in the audience was Cigarettes, whiskey and wild, wild women - can't remember any of the others though ...

Sue, I think zahidf means the support band, The Head and The Heart. Check them out, I think you'd like them - definitely EOTR-friendly.

Incidentally, TLA namedropped EOTR, and got some applause from the crowd (apparently EOTR filmed

for 'Boeing 737').

That will be awesome - Sunday morning with a hangover on the Pyramid. Let's just hope the sound is good! (And the big stage doesn't lose 'it' like it did with Fleet Foxes a few years back).

In fact, the first time I saw them was hungover, at The Park on a sunday morning I think. Bloody brilliant. Bought the album the day after. :D

Can I be completely honest and speak up for the silent minority who just "don't get" The Low Anthem. I find them utterly dull and their mid-afternoon Garden Stage set at EOTR 2009 would have tipped anyone on suicide-watch over the point of no return. I do appreciate that others have different tastes to me, but I just can't see what the fuss is about. EOTR showcase far better Americana and folk acts throughout the weekend.

I love them although their latest was a little lacklustre - although not as bad as Pitchfork's reckoning (man, they're up themselves) - but my parents don't really get them either. I felt their set last year would probably have been bettered by throwing in an uptempo song (though in my opinion Boeing 737 off their latest is their best rocker by far).