Things that make you feel old

Guest sifi

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being able to get through an entire conversation with someone without tapping at an iPhone.

Knowing how to do extensive research on a subject without once consulting Wikipedia.

Not liking the Transformers movies, at all.

Noticing fashion trends, and being appalled by them (every shop seems to have too many flannel shirts - they look like shit!)

I hate Hollyoaks.

Making snarky comments on an internet site about the intelligence of those that are several years younger than me in order to feel superior.

Edited by Purple Monkey

• 2 weeks later...

Walking past HMV and remembering the days of buying Reading ticekts there and there was never any rush or any queue and they were really cheap.

Finding that a work colleague was born in 1991 and has a newer car than me :blink:

Remembering Take That the first time round.

Saying things like "Aren't the years flying by?" when seeing relatives children who have grown up a lot in what seems to be a short space of time.

Discovering the hideous indoctrination of American 'School Proms' now blights the lives of UK teenagers. My daughter feels this capitalist excuse to make money out of poor young people is "Huugely important, Dad!"

And any attempt to try and explain that these companies who supply prom shnizzle are preying on the young who have no funds to pay for it, falls on deaf ears, and prove hugely upsetting for someone who has been caught hook, line, and sinker, in the 'romance' of such a stupid idea.

Despite the cost of the evening (in some plush venue), the limo (WTF?), the dress (the one she wants is hundreds of pounds), and the accessories.

Despite this country's economy being in the doledrums parents have to shell out fortunes! This must be for many a dreadful strain on household funds at a time when many will be out of work before next year's big day - which also clashes with Glastonbury!

what ever happened to the leaving school disco? I feel so out of touch/against the idea, yet my hands are tied, I blame pulp teen American TV!

Edited by 5co77ie

Discovering the hideous indoctrination of American 'School Proms' now blights the lives of UK teenagers. My daughter feels this capitalist excuse to make money out of poor young people is "Huugely important, Dad!"

And any attempt to try and explain that these companies who supply prom shnizzle are preying on the young who have no funds to pay for it, falls on deaf ears, and prove hugely upsetting for someone who has been caught hook, line, and sinker, in the 'romance' of such a stupid idea.

Despite the cost of the evening (in some plush venue), the limo (WTF?), the dress (the one she wants is hundreds of pounds), and the accessories.

Despite this country's economy being in the doledrums parents have to shell out fortunes! This must be for many a dreadful strain on household funds at a time when many will be out of work before next year's big day - which also clashes with Glastonbury!

what ever happened to the leaving school disco? I feel so out of touch/against the idea, yet my hands are tied, I blame pulp teen American TV!

We had something that was like a prom, except it wasn't called a prom, because my Classics teacher kicked up a massive fuss, saying we weren't a bunch of red necks or something. He was the kind of guy who didn't set his watch to BST. What a rebel.

In fact, I can't actually remember what it was called. Leavers' Ball or something probably.

Anyone wearing a tux was immediately humiliated. f**k tuxedos. I think I wore jeans, a shirt and a suit jacket. Bloody kids today, with their fancy dancy dresses and tuxedos and limousines.

I'm just jealous, really.

Edited by dakyras

Edited by oafc0000

I think also it's down to the parents to put their feet down and just laugh in the face of any child who wants a dress costing hundreds of pounds. Kids will always push for the maximum they can get, it's in their nature. Nothing wrong with ebay or similar. And if everyone shares a limo probably not that much more than a cab?

There's nothing wrong with a prom or disco (same thing, different name) for 16 year olds, they are just allowed to go over the top. All kids want is to get dressed up, get drunk and snog the person they fancy,it's a ritual.

Edited by Josie's Cat