Reading 2011 line up prediction

Guest billyjoearmstrongsdad

People who think Soundgarden can headline need a reality check. Oh, and Soundgarden are my second favourite band after Nirvana.

Yes they're massive in America, and if it was 2005, they would headline Reading easily, but in 2010, who in the current Reading demographic is really gonna watch them? The Libertines and Dizzee Rascal got arguably the best crowds of the weekend lets not forget, whilst a band that is hugely relevant this year, and a growing force, Arcade Fire, got a laughable crowd.

The band most like Soundgarden on the line-up this year, in terms of being a hot alternative rock band, was QOTSA, even for their performance it was pretty empty near the back of the D, and they're Reading legends, plus they even get a fair amount of NME coverage and everyone knows the tune to No One Knows. The band they clashed with, Mumford & Sons got a massive crowd, due to the latter band's coverage in NME, further showing what the demographic of the festival will sway to. And to say Soundgarden can headline if Blink-182 can is even more stupid, Blink were on every 13-year-old child's mp3, and everyone knows the words to All The Small Things, What's My Age Again and Rock Show, they were always on every music channel when I was a kid, and I don't think there's anyone at this years festival who wouldn't have heard of them, with the likes of Soundgarden, I bet half the festival wouldn't know who they were. (Which is a shame :(). The fact that even a few people at the festival wouldn't have heard of them is enough concern for their headlining credentials.

'Black Hole Sun' gets a lot of play on Kerrang and Scuzz, but so does 'Epic' by Faith No More. Soundgarden are only a little bit bigger than Faith No More, who played in the NME tent last year, to a half-full tent :S. If Soundgarden play, that's the slot they'll get. Both these bands are influential as hell, but they'll get a tiny crowd if they headline.

However, Download Festival, they could headline, a demographic which fits the band, and one where they will be treated as the legends of grunge they are.

Edited by fishman17

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who think Soundgarden can headline need a reality check. Oh, and Soundgarden are my second favourite band after Nirvana.

Yes they're massive in America, and if it was 2005, they would headline Reading easily, but in 2010, who in the current Reading demographic is really gonna watch them? The Libertines and Dizzee Rascal got arguably the best crowds of the weekend lets not forget, whilst a band that is hugely relevant this year, and a growing force, Arcade Fire, got a laughable crowd.

The band most like Soundgarden on the line-up this year, in terms of being a hot alternative rock band, was QOTSA, even for their performance it was pretty empty near the back of the D, and they're Reading legends, plus they even get a fair amount of NME coverage and everyone knows the tune to No One Knows. The band they clashed with, Mumford & Sons got a massive crowd, due to the latter band's coverage in NME, further showing what the demographic of the festival will sway to. And to say Soundgarden can headline if Blink-182 can is even more stupid, Blink were on every 13-year-old child's mp3, and everyone knows the words to All The Small Things, What's My Age Again and Rock Show, they were always on every music channel when I was a kid, and I don't think there's anyone at this years festival who wouldn't have heard of them, with the likes of Soundgarden, I bet half the festival wouldn't know who they were. (Which is a shame :(). The fact that even a few people at the festival wouldn't have heard of them is enough concern for their headlining credentials.

'Black Hole Sun' gets a lot of play on Kerrang and Scuzz, but so does 'Epic' by Faith No More. Soundgarden are only a little bit bigger than Faith No More, who played in the NME tent last year, to a half-full tent :S. If Soundgarden play, that's the slot they'll get. Both these bands are influential as hell, but they'll get a tiny crowd if they headline.

However, Download Festival, they could headline, a demographic which fits the band, and one where they will be treated as the legends of grunge they are.

this is my prediction, parts if it are wishful thinking but arnt totally unrealistic either

Friday

The Cure

Pixies

Editors

Feeder

Radio 1 Tent : Chase And Status

Saturday

Kasabian

Kaiser Chiefs

The Kooks

Interpol

Radio 1 Tent: Korn or Weezer

Sunday

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

30 Seconds To Mars

Bullet For My Valentine

Radio 1 Tent: Vampire Weekend

Possible Headliners:

Pixies - sub

Soundgarden - nme at reading i played

Green Day - possible

Muse - said taking time off at lcc gig other night

Linkin Park - scrap with download for them maybe

The Strokes - possible

Other less likely ones:

Foo Fighters - possible

REM - love it but no

The Cure - no

Kings Of Leon - iow if any

Kasabian - no, time out

Iron Maiden - could do but doubt it, downlad if any

System Of A Down - sub

My Chemical Romance - sub

My prediction............. i know some of the placing are off. The National would prolly be a lot higher... meh

Friday

Main

Soundgarden or System Of A Down

The Prodigy

Bullet For My Valenine

Public Enemy

Rancid

Coheed & Cambria

Less Than Jake

The Used

Of Montreal

Rolo Tomassi

NME

Limp Bizkit

M.I.A

FR

Mogwai

Saturday

Main

Pixies

Manic Street Preachers

Incubus

Interpol

Feeder

Seasick Steve

The National

The Wombats

The Horrors

Warpaint

NME

Hot Chip

Chase & Status

FR

Laura Marling

Sunday

Main

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

The Offspring

30 Seconds To Mars

Jimmy Eat World

Slash

Frank Turner

Kids In Glass Houses

Zebrahead

NME

The Flaming Lips

The XX

FR

Something New and Funkay for the Kids :)

Edited by Vieuphoria

My prediction............. i know some of the placing are off. The National would prolly be a lot higher... meh

Friday

Main

Soundgarden or System Of A Down

The Prodigy

Bullet For My Valenine

Public Enemy

Rancid

Coheed & Cambria

Less Than Jake

The Used

Of Montreal

Rolo Tomassi

NME

Limp Bizkit

M.I.A

FR

Mogwai

Saturday

Main

Pixies

Manic Street Preachers

Incubus

Interpol

Feeder

Seasick Steve

The National

The Wombats

The Horrors

Warpaint

NME

Hot Chip

Chase & Status

FR

Laura Marling

Sunday

Main

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

The Offspring

30 Seconds To Mars

Jimmy Eat World

Slash

Frank Turner

Kids In Glass Houses

Zebrahead

NME

The Flaming Lips

The XX

FR

Edited by Vacant0

Friday

Main

System Of A Down

The Prodigy

Bullet For My Valenine

Public Enemy

Rancid

Coheed & Cambria

Less Than Jake

The Used

Of Montreal

Rolo Tomassi

NME

Hot Chip

Chase & Status

FR

Mogwai

Saturday

Main

Pixies

Manic Street Preachers

Incubus

Interpol

Feeder

Seasick Steve

The National

The Wombats

The Horrors

Warpaint

NME

Soundgarden

M.I.A

FR

Laura Marling

Sunday

Main

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

The Offspring

30 Seconds To Mars

Jimmy Eat World

Slash

Frank Turner

Kids In Glass Houses

Zebrahead

NME

The Flaming Lips

The XX

FR