Reading 2011 line up prediction

Guest billyjoearmstrongsdad

Would imagine the Saturday would look a bit more indiefied at the top end. Don't see any reason for Limpbizkit to play the NME tent either (even if they did play again, seeing as the reaction this year was apparantly so good) and M.I.A into Limpbizkit is just weird anyway.

Also - bollocks to whoever said Gorillaz were shit at Glasto - they were mostly quite good, just a rubbish crowd and a lack of crowd interaction - ye, I know, opinions...

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys remember, this festival is design to make money. soundgarden arn't headling. their not a widly known enough band and don't have a 'legend' status. if they put 'soundgarden' as a headliner it wouldn't appeal to as many people as 'blink 182' did, enen though soundgarden are probbaly better. yes, arcade fire are not amazingly popular, but they have a lot of momentum behind them and a cult follwing to rival most dieing 80s hair metal bands.

tbh i would of though that download would try and grab soad more than reading? but ethir way i could see them headlining

greenday probbaly will if you ask me, even though there last album is at the bottem of my pond, there still a band with a lot of good songs, and haven't played for ages

can't see muse. its almost too predicatble, and it would be sloppy seconds from glasto. apparently sonisphere and download are wanting them more than america wants osama bin larden...

the strokes. i love them. but i think it depends massivly on their next album. if it goes well then i think definetly.

eminem, i';m on the fence.

possible headliner that i havent seen, Iron madein havent played since 2005, and they have a new album coming out

surly rage is too soon, the demands there but i recon they'll be sonisphere or somehwere else, if they record the new album it'll be 2012

i predcit

Soad/eminem

Muse/strokes

Green day/Iron Maden

My prediction............. i know some of the placing are off. The National would prolly be a lot higher... meh

Friday

Main

Soundgarden or System Of A Down

The Prodigy

Bullet For My Valenine

Public Enemy

Rancid

Coheed & Cambria

Less Than Jake

The Used

Of Montreal

Rolo Tomassi

NME

Limp Bizkit

M.I.A

FR

Mogwai

Saturday

Main

Pixies

Manic Street Preachers

]Incubus]

Interpol

Feeder

Seasick Steve

The National

The Wombats

The Horrors

Warpaint

NME

Hot Chip

Chase & Status

FR

Laura Marling

Sunday

Main

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

The Offspring

30 Seconds To Mars

Jimmy Eat World

Slash

Frank Turner

Kids In Glass Houses

Zebrahead

NME

The Flaming Lips

The XX

FR

Something New and Funkay for the Kids :)

Guys remember, this festival is design to make money. soundgarden arn't headling. their not a widly known enough band and don't have a 'legend' status. if they put 'soundgarden' as a headliner it wouldn't appeal to as many people as 'blink 182' did, enen though soundgarden are probbaly better. yes, arcade fire are not amazingly popular, but they have a lot of momentum behind them and a cult follwing to rival most dieing 80s hair metal bands.

Don't think there really is anything as such called a "reading band".... My thought it this, This year NME headliners were very risks (except Pendulum i guess). LCD Soundsystem really aren't that big, Klaxons everyone has forgotten about. The Flaming Lips won't get a huge crowd, but they'd easily get just as much/more than Klaxons or LCD did. The Lips are all over 6music and NME atm too. Just a possibility i thought would be cool.

I agree, however pretty much any band that has ever gone big has relied on the media. If the media dont get your music on the radio or your nname in magazines how else is a band going to get big enough to headline a festival. People seem to think its only indie bands that get big because of media loving but i think bands of all genres including grunge and metal have benefited from the media as well.

As for soundgarden I think they could headline. I think a few years ago there were a lot more huge bands available. However in the last decade very few came through which means the festival has had to open up to less comerically succesful bands like blink 182 and arcade fire. Without a load of ready made headliners the festival may be more likely to pick someone like soundgarden.

but the fact is Manics never broke up, and their popualrity goes up and down like a yoyo. FNM were added in months after tickets had sold out anyway.

Soundgarden have sold more records or similar amounts to Arcade Fire, Pixies, Faith No More, Arctic Monkeys, Rage Against The Machine, Manic Street Preachers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, The Darkness, The Strokes.... etc etc etc.

I see no reason for them not to be considered a potential Headliner.

but the fact is Manics never broke up, and their popualrity goes up and down like a yoyo. FNM were added in months after tickets had sold out anyway.

Soundgarden have sold more records or similar amounts to Arcade Fire, Pixies, Faith No More, Arctic Monkeys, Rage Against The Machine, Manic Street Preachers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, The Darkness, The Strokes.... etc etc etc.

yeh soundgarden DID sell records, they DID headline festivals. Your stuck in the past. They are big with the generation that grew up listening to them but im affraid at RnL its the younger generation who populate the festival, the generation that didnt grow up with them.

Cypress Hill once headlined, they played 4th this year. Dinosaur Jnr subbed in 1993, they played 5th in 2005. 2 examples of bands moving down the lineup because they are past their prime, just like soundgarden.

No matter what anyone says, they will be wrong to you because you are obviously a die hard soundgarden fan.

yeh soundgarden DID sell records, they DID headline festivals. Your stuck in the past. They are big with the generation that grew up listening to them but im affraid at RnL its the younger generation who populate the festival, the generation that didnt grow up with them.

Cypress Hill once headlined, they played 4th this year. Dinosaur Jnr subbed in 1993, they played 5th in 2005. 2 examples of bands moving down the lineup because they are past their prime, just like soundgarden.

No matter what anyone says, they will be wrong to you because you are obviously a die hard soundgarden fan.

The Darkness prolly not. Manics it would depend entirely on how the new album goes down. Their popularity increases and decreases on an album by album basis. That being said, no i don't think they would headline now. But that being said.. you've missed out all the rest of the bands listed.

Edited by jump

i can't be bothered to read this thread until the stupid idea of soundgarden disappears and people start realising the direction of where reading and leeds is going. why would festival republic take a step back by booking someone like soundgarden as a headliner? Vieuphoria, you should be trying to plug the idea of soundgarden to people on the download and sonisphere section of this forum, not in reading and leeds. give it a break

Edited by stylishkids

he is just a soundgarden fan boy! He has tried suggesting that soundgarden are just as deserving of a headline spot than what blink are. The reason Blink are headline worthy and soundgarden arent is because Blink appeal to THE CURRENT READING AND LEEDS CROWD! as most people who attend the festival grew up with blink. Most people who go to RnL DIDNT grow up with soundgarden.

Edited by sftiz