Reading 2011 line up prediction

Guest billyjoearmstrongsdad

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would class Soundgarden in the same grouping as The Smashing Pumpkins and Pixies, both amazingly good with great back catalouges. Both got a pretty mediocre reaction at the festival. Now are we saying that Melvin Benn is stupid and would make the same mistake a 3rd time? I doubt it. The festival will sell out no matter what but he still wants it to look credible. Unless they're skint I recon they'll be going for the big hitters.

Nope, SG and FNM are about as similar as you can get. Both bands that were big in the 90's but not world-beaters like bands such as RATM and Pumpkins (By world-beaters I mean bands that would and did easily headline Reading back in the nineties, SG and FNM only subbed).

There is a small chance of SG headlining, there is also a very very small chance of The Offspring headlining, if they are booked and bands above them pull out days before the festival.

It is a lot more likely SG will headline NME, as if fits with the most recent example of a big (But not huge) band from the nineties reforming and playing Reading (FNM being that example).

Also FNM are arguable bigger in Europe than SG, of which are huge in America. Hence FNM's decision to tour Europe rigorously and hold their first shows here, and SG's decision to leave it a year.

Edited by Vieuphoria

Weren't Soundgarden Co-headliners that year? because they pulled out the year before as subs, but came back the year later to sub Niel Young as a kind of 4th headliner? Either way there is f**k all chance of seeing them in the tent.

I'm ending this now. It's gotten dull.

Ultimatly we'll see next year what happens. If Soundgarden come over here and do a decent sized tour and it sells well. Great. If they do headline R/L's brilliant, it's a wonderful booking. If not fine, i'll catch em at one of their other shows in the tour. But this is really dull now... Can we just agree to disagree here?

Oh so there's a 100% definite chance of them not being in the tent now? How arrogant. Despite the last example of a big (But not world-beating) nineties band playing Reading Festival being in the tent, for some reason the next big (But not world-beating) nineties band to potentially play Reading Festival will definately not be in the tent? :S

Likeliehood of Soundgarden being in the tent >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Likliehood of them headlining > Likliehood of The Offspring headlining

f**k all in my world means very small. But this situation is not as simple as 90's bands always go in the tent. Like i said, we'll see come next year won't we.

in my eyes it goes like this...

Likelihood of Soundgarden headlining Download>>Likelihood of Soundgarden headlining Reading>>>>Likelihood of Soundgarden Subbing at Reading>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Likelihood of seeing them in the NME tent>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Likelihood of Offspring headlining.

No, but the festival's biggest change has come in the past few years, 2006 probably being the start of the more mainstream line-up. Nowadays Reading Festival is a fashionable festival, hence the massive influx in Radio 1/NME bands and topman-wearing teens. From 2006 onwards the festival has become more and more mainstream, and more and more a place to be seen rather than a place for bands. I'd argue the biggest change in line-up was seen between 2008 and 2009, the previous year having two alternative rock heavyweights headlining (RATM and the Killers Metallica), whilst the latter year only had arguably one out and out 'heavy' band on the whole mainstage (Noah and the Whale Deftones).

So the closest example of a big nineties band playing at the new, fashionable Reading Festival is Faith No More. Therefore Soundgarden will most likely headline the tent, if they play, which they probably won't, as they won't headline, because Reading Festival is too fashionable and mainstream now, and Soundgarden are far too alternative and would have a tiny crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

xin_300104020908287175633.jpg

300 × 300 - ... of "Greatest British Band of All Time" in a vote organized by BBC Radio.

chinadaily.com.cn

Similar ‑ More sizes ‑

Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Page 7Page 8Page 9Page 10Page 11Page 12Page 13Page 14Page 15Page 16Page 17Page 18Page 19Page 20Page 21Page 22Page 23Page 24Page 25Page 26Page 27Page 28Page 29Page 30Page 31Page 32Page 33Page 34Page 35Page 36Page 37Page 38Page 39Page 4040Everything

ImagesVideosMapsNewsShoppingBooksBlogsUpdatesDiscussions

MoreFewer

Search Options

Any size

Large

Medium

Icon

Larger than...Select a size...400×300640×480800×6001024×7682 MP (1600×1200)4 MP (2272×1704)6 MP (2816×2112)8 MP (3264×2448)10 MP (3648×2736)12 MP (4096×3072)15 MP (4480×3360)20 MP (5120×3840)40 MP (7216×5412)70 MP (9600×7200)

Exactly...Width: px

Height: px

Search

Any type

Face

Photo

Clip art

Line drawing

Any color

Full color

Black and white

Specific color

Standard view

Show sizes

Reset tools

britsh bands

Google Images Home Switch to basic versionHelpGive us feedback

Google HomeAdvertising ProgrammesBusiness SolutionsPrivacyAbout Google

Weren't Soundgarden Co-headliners that year? because they pulled out the year before as subs, but came back the year later to sub Niel Young as a kind of 4th headliner? Either way there is f**k all chance of seeing them in the tent.

I'm ending this now. It's gotten dull.

Ultimatly we'll see next year what happens. If Soundgarden come over here and do a decent sized tour and it sells well. Great. If they do headline R/L's brilliant, it's a wonderful booking. If not fine, i'll catch em at one of their other shows in the tour. But this is really dull now... Can we just agree to disagree here?

thought this had died :(

but first off i don't think Pixies are no longer headlining material. They have a long history with the festival, and for that reason alone they can still remain potential headliners at this festival alone. As for other festivals they are definatly no longer headliners. Until they release new stuff that is.

but over a big tour wouldn't have to mean over exposure... especially as its a reunion tour. But by the sound of it... this tour is a cash in. they will play piss all shows and will charge a lot. So again they'll prolly go either were will pay most (Reading) or where they can headline (Download)