Reading 2011 line up prediction

Guest billyjoearmstrongsdad

But why book a band that they're pretty sure would get a mediocre crowd? I completely agree that it's a damn shame an act like Soundgarden would get a shit crowd compared to someone like The Klaxons but that's the way the festival has gone. I would say Soundgarden are sub headliners, who wouuld they be below? I couldn't tell you.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it translates to this.... "This exact conversation has happened numerous times over the past week or so and it spans several pages on here and everyone is bored of the arguement".

BUT if you really want an answer then here.

Faith No More were booked to headline a major festival as their comeback gig. They were booked as an exclusive by this festival. However Reading wanted them too. So stuck them on the lineup several months after tickets sold out completely. Thus meaning everyone who wanted to see Faith No More at a festival that year would have gone to Download. You could stick anyone into a tent if none of their fans bought tickets.

This will not happen again.

If Soundgarden come over they will almost certainly headline Download. They will not headline any tent. If they were to play Reading it would be a mainstage headliner, or possibly subbing to someone big. If they didn't get it, they'd go somewhere else.

please now can we end this shite

What you are doing is choosing a band at random and comparing them to Soundgarden. I shall do this also.

Pixies headlined in 2004 (i think).... They headlined ont he back of their reunion. Similar sized bands at their peak. They could headline main.

It's already been said that Melvin has stated he woudl want either SOAD or SG to headline next year but not both. I would assume he'll gun for SOAD.

I honestly think there is little chance of SG playing. But in the small chance there is i think there is a potential for them to headline. You honestly saying their chance of mainstage headlining is 0%? You aren't willing to accept there could be even the slightest chace they could potentially be booked as headliners?

What you are doing is choosing a band at random and comparing them to Soundgarden. I shall do this also.

Pixies headlined in 2004 (i think).... They headlined ont he back of their reunion. Similar sized bands at their peak. They could headline main.

It's already been said that Melvin has stated he woudl want either SOAD or SG to headline next year but not both. I would assume he'll gun for SOAD.

I honestly think there is little chance of SG playing. But in the small chance there is i think there is a potential for them to headline. You honestly saying their chance of mainstage headlining is 0%? You aren't willing to accept there could be even the slightest chace they could potentially be booked as headliners?

Realistic headliners I think for main are

Linkin Park

The Strokes (also sub)

The Foo Fighters

Red Hot Chili Peppers

R.E.M have an outside chance

Green Day

Eminem

Sub headliners for main I think

The Strokes as above

The Manics

Pixies

The Offspring

The Prodigy

NME Headliners

Interpol

30 Seconds To Mars

The Offspring

Noel Gallagher

Hole

Brandon Flowers

The Charlatans

Soundgarden will not play the tent, it would be crazy. Their situation is somewhat confused by having reformed (if they had never split up nobody would be that bothered about hearing their back caralogue, one of those weird anomolies) but I'd pitch them somewhere inbetween FNM and Pixies. They deserve a semi-legendary status for being at the head of a musical movement that was extremely popular and changed a lot (as well as making some damn good music), but were never as seminal, difficult or unlikely to reform as the Pixies, which was half of the Pixies' allure.

As much as I like them I agree that they would be a reach for a headliner and would be more likely to fill that spot at Download simply because the casual fan at Download would be more likely to have heard of Soundgarden and would be more likely to appreciate them having never heard a song before. At Reading I could see them subbing but it would have to be with someone they respect/like (Foo Fighters? AC/DC?) rather than a new band or they'd probably choose Download.

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

30stm

Offspring

Sum 41

Rise Against

White Lies

Crystal Castles

Jack Penate

Kasabian

Beady Eye

Vampire Weekend

Friendly Fires

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Subways

Interpol

Black Keys

Joy Formidable

Foo Fighters

The Strokes

Florence & The Machine

Wu Tang Clan

Feeder

Bowling For Soup

Maximo Park

Hurts

The View

Yeah far too much time on my hands on this Wednesday afternoon.

the point is though that pixies could nt heasline really now. pixies headlined in 2005, 2009 at a smaller fest being isle of wight they only subbed, as did razorkight who wouldn't headline reading nor would phonics who were above them, n the other header the prodigy probs wouldn't still either

Edited by Vieuphoria

No i agree. Pixies would potentially sub now. i agree. But the fact is, they did headline off the back of their reunion.

As did Rage Against The Machine.

As did Blink-182.

Tool would have an even smaller crowd that Arcade Fire did, Let alone SG. SG may not draw epic sized crowds.... but Tool???

that said... if you weren;t in fact refering to the band but rather calling me a tool... then you're mean :(

Ha i was actually going to edit my post to stick in that word. Didn;t think it's matter.

That said we are on a website that is based soley around rumours. So i say it's fine :)

This. 100%..ish? but yeah i agree with this.

Now you are just being facetious.

But SG and FNM are two completely different bands, who are not connected in any way other than they were big in the late 80's and throughout the 90s. SG were a lot bigger.

The thing about Sg in the tent is this. Yeah they could (but it would involve a lot of moolah, and there is a very slim chance of it happening)... but the fact of the matter is, the band will want to either Headline, or Sub if the money is right. Hence why i think they'll be at Download.

"There is a chance".... why are we still dicussing this then. I say there is a small chance of them headlining, you admit there is a small chane of them headlining... we both have these opinion for different reasons.... Can this now please end?

Green Day

My Chemical Romance

30stm

Offspring

Sum 41

Rise Against

White Lies

Crystal Castles

Jack Penate

Kasabian

Beady Eye

Vampire Weekend

Friendly Fires

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Subways

Interpol

Black Keys

Joy Formidable

Foo Fighters

The Strokes

Florence & The Machine

Wu Tang Clan

Feeder

Bowling For Soup

Maximo Park

Hurts

The View

Yeah far too much time on my hands on this Wednesday afternoon.

The Offspring headlining the NME Tent during the "indie" day would be fantastic, would give many people an alternative choice to Muse/Kasabian/whatever NME is plugging in the next year.

Sub-headlining, or being third to two huge bands, would be satisfactory but would be likely ruined by the "play that one song I know" brigade.

Still, we need an appearence by The Offspring at some point next year.

Far too many indie type bands there plus the offspring would never be that low surely, they would sub or maybe third at a push,Sum41 may also be a bit low.Plus i was nearly sick when i saw that you put Beady Eye subbing they have actually done NOTHING yet and youve put them above Vampire Weekend.Plus the mount of idiots that would be there to watch them and Kasabian would be unbearable

No i agree. Pixies would potentially sub now. i agree. But the fact is, they did headline off the back of their reunion.

As did Rage Against The Machine.

As did Blink-182.

Tool would have an even smaller crowd that Arcade Fire did, Let alone SG. SG may not draw epic sized crowds.... but Tool???

that said... if you weren;t in fact refering to the band but rather calling me a tool... then you're mean :(

Ha i was actually going to edit my post to stick in that word. Didn;t think it's matter.

That said we are on a website that is based soley around rumours. So i say it's fine :)

This. 100%..ish? but yeah i agree with this.

Now you are just being facetious.

But SG and FNM are two completely different bands, who are not connected in any way other than they were big in the late 80's and throughout the 90s. SG were a lot bigger.

The thing about Sg in the tent is this. Yeah they could (but it would involve a lot of moolah, and there is a very slim chance of it happening)... but the fact of the matter is, the band will want to either Headline, or Sub if the money is right. Hence why i think they'll be at Download.

"There is a chance".... why are we still dicussing this then. I say there is a small chance of them headlining, you admit there is a small chane of them headlining... we both have these opinion for different reasons.... Can this now please end?