Labour Leadership Contest

Guest oafc0000

Who should lead Labour  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who should lead Labour

Whilst not strictly a question about the current leadership vote, I thought that people here might be able to tell me why Tony Blair, who is the Middle East peace envoy for the United Nations, European Union, United States, and Russia is currently on a book signing tour whilst a peace conference is taking place in Washington between Palestine and Israel?

I realise that Blair was a Bush recruit to the role, and the current administration will want to be seen to be fixing the Middle East, but does the job mean so little that he actually isn't needed. Did he have anything to do with making this happen, or is it just that he is being paid no matter what he actually does?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can you explain how the voice of 258 MPs (I think, it's about that) is worth the same as 60,000 ordinary members? Are you sure this is a democratic process? Because from where Im sat, it takes 232 ordinary members to have the same say as 1 MP. The figures will be even worse for TU members and affiliates. Are you sure this isn't a top down driven party that doesn't ignore the ordinary member as you keep telling me?

Whilst not strictly a question about the current leadership vote, I thought that people here might be able to tell me why Tony Blair, who is the Middle East peace envoy for the United Nations, European Union, United States, and Russia is currently on a book signing tour whilst a peace conference is taking place in Washington between Palestine and Israel?

I realise that Blair was a Bush recruit to the role, and the current administration will want to be seen to be fixing the Middle East, but does the job mean so little that he actually isn't needed. Did he have anything to do with making this happen, or is it just that he is being paid no matter what he actually does?

You're incorrect in thinking that Blair is "the Middle East peace envoy for the United Nations, European Union, United States, and Russia".

Blair is NOT a peace envoy. His role is limited to economic aspects of the situation, perhaps just limited to the effects of the Israeli economic blockade of Gaza.

Thanks.

Nonsense. What that means is that ordinary members in a constituency with a labour MP have a greater say than ordinary members in a constituency without a labour MP. Though this would also assume that everyone in a CLP would be voting for the same candidate and it also assumes a CLP has some control over how an MP votes.

The fact remains that 1 MP has the same influence as 232 ordinary members and significantly more trades union and other affiliate members. It's basic maths. And this was the exact purpose of the reform because the CLP didn't want a leader they couldn't live with being foisted on them by the party.

One of the best Ive been to this summer

Well with that kind of argument do you expect every CLP to support every vote that their MP makes in parliament. It's the same kind of scenario but I agree with you and at the same time don't as well. It would be fairer, in my opinion, if every prospective MP had the same voting rights as a sitting MP. That way every CLP is covered.

However, this is the election where the voting system for electing leaders is challenged, and has been challenged with 'success' because members under one year like oaf can vote, and so it is something to vote on when choosing the leader. If you paid your fee's you would know.

Well if you care so much you come and make change in the way you believe it. If you aren't willing to do that then mind your own buisness and put your efforts into your own way of making change.

And the people who are in the PLP are choosen by the CLP, choosen from the grass roots!

complete and utter bullshit. :rolleyes:

The local parties have candidates forced on them by the NEC.

• 2 weeks later...