Flaming Lips v Gorillaz

Guest russycarps

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the flaming lips but decided to see gorillaz even although i'm not really afan, becuase i knew flaming lips would play the same set i seen twice last year, and i expected a really good live show from gorillaz.

after about half an hour of gorilliaz, i left cause they were extremely boring. it seemed like they didn't have enough good songs to fill a headline slot and they were just filling the set with shite. most of the songs sounded the same. utter pish.

i went to see flaming lips and they were amazing. really glad i got to see them.

Edited by _rachelbon

I've no doubt that the Lips were amazing but Im more than happy that I went to see Gorillaz. I really enjoyed their set and thought they were terrific. If the Lips had been bumped to the Pyramid then people would still have left to go elsewhere for mainly the same reason of not knowing enough songs to hold their attention and sing along to.

I left Gorillaz for Flaming Lips, partly because the crowd at Gorillaz were being annoying and partly because I had seen Gorillaz several times before so saw no point in tolerating the annoying crowd. Flaming Lips were good, but nowhere near the best set I've ever seen. I'm not going to shower it with superlatives and hyperboles to make people who saw all of Gorillaz feel bad. It was simply a nice feel good set with all the bells and whistles you'd expect from the Lips.

Was watching Gorillaz and left to take a look at the Flaming Lips. Their set was definitely superior and one of the most impressive of all the big bands on the main stages.

Edited by OSHmusic

I gave The Gorillaz 3 songs to impress me and when they failed to go so I decided to wander to the Other Stage to see the Flaming Lips who arrived on stage 2 minutes after I got myself into a good position in the centre of the crowd. I must say the decision was correct as they played a blinder - what an enterance though I doubt the BBC would broadcast the footage of them arriving on stage, lol ;) Any youtube clips anyone ?

Such a spectacular show as usual : lasers, confetti guns, giant balloons etc - had everyone in great spirits and singing along. Marvellous Show !!!

'Do you realize?' - was my own personal fave song ...

One of the highlights of the festival for me - will post some pics later when I have the time :)

Excellent, excellent, excellent !!!

Edited by DaveMac

Well I'm not one to say I told you so but....

The Lips were absolutely wonderful. Sensational stuff. People were in tears during Do You Realize?? such was the beauty of the moment.

A perfect band for Glastonbury. Everything about the set was awe inspiring.

We're talking an all time great glastonbury performance here.

It was fantastic to see people streaming into the crowd after leaving Damon Albarn's little side project after just a couple of songs. I spoke to several people after the gig who had never seen the flaming lips before and they were astonished by it. "Best thing I have ever seen in my life" was heard numerous times on the way out.

From what I gather the 2 sets were the polar opposite of each other. One was hosted by an engaging, inspiring, grateful, joyous, fun-filled front man and was a life affirming set full of panache and charisma. The other an boring set led from a silent, introverted, self indulgent, arrogant, tedious dullard. Not even a "hello glastonbury" to be heard.

Those of you who chose gorillaz over the lips must be burning with impotent frustration right now. Let me just make this very clear: you missed an extraordinary, legendary set for a set totally lacking in charm and charisma.

When U2 pulled out the Lips should have been bumped to Pyramid headliner immediately. That slot was no place for a side project.

They were awesome, like I said on the other thread I'd gone to Gorillaz as didn't fancy going on my own for the whole night and that's what my mates fancied.

With the size of the crowd at Gorillaz we had bad view, plus Snoop Dogg didn't come on for the intro, mates were bored after 3/4 songs, so I said "if we leave we've got 2 choices- Flaming Lips or Groove Armada are easiest to get to. I fancy Flaming Lips, but it's up to you"

They were brilliant though, my mates really enjoyed the only thing they didn't like, was the preachy bits between every song but realise that it was just because of the set ups.

Re: The crowd. Basically we came around the corner and it a full condensed crowd. What I mean by this is that rather than people being spread about across the other stage like you get through the daytime, it was basically a square crowd in a straight line from out past the speakers that went out to the back. I don't think I've ever actually seen a headliner at the Other Stage so couldn't compare to other crowds.

Ah, still doing the walking in the ball on the crowd and glitter confetti cannons from the set I watched 4 years ago? And nothing from their best album? Sounds ace ;)

I thought Gorillaz were really good. Doesn't bother me how many left because they (surprise) played Gorillaz songs and didn't alternate between Parklife and London Calling to feed the halfwit Pyramid crowd.

If only he'd said 'Hello Glastonbury' at the start it would have been an amazing set...

I've seen The Lips about 10 times now. I don't regret not seeing either them or Faithless at Glastonbury this year. I think the shows are great but haven't really progressed in the past 5 years

with all the glitter cannons and Wayne in the translucent ball walking across the crowd.

I dont regret at all not seeing the lips as Gorillaz nailed it for me.

I knew they would do plastic beach and that's what I went for. Whilst there seems a lot of people who thought it was boring, the people with me all agreed they nailed it.

Now that's not to say the lips did not, I am confident they did, but the crowd for Gorillaz was massive and bigger than Muse (we were at the back of the pyramid and it was SRO whilst we had plenty of room in a similar spot for muse)

Music is a personal preference and there seems to be a lot of dick waving around bands at the weekend "you should not have seen them, you should have seen these", "these were better than that"

What I say you make your choices and you live with it... simple.

Seen the Lips a few times and was worried they would be peddling the same show..... BUT, it was amazing. Totally different from the set they've been doing for years, but with all the brilliance.

Had a good old ball during Do You Realize? with the Mrs.

A definite highlight. Would have liked to have seen Gorillaz but not 100miles away at the back of the Pyramid field.

But The Flaming Lips don't tour that often so for a hell of a lot of people, it was the first time they got to see them.

I was in awe of it and so was everyone around me. Who cares it it's six years old? A lot of their songs are far older than that, yet nobody complains when they are played.

Did anyone else see a young lad balling his eyes out near the front? He must've been 18 give or take a year or two. Some people seemed to be unsure whether he was ill/drunk/high and asked if he was alright but I think it was just overwhelming tears of joy - you just wanted to give the guy a hug! I'm guessing it wasn't Russy?!

Does it really matter if they still have the same elements to their live show? Wayne used the zorbing ball 7 years ago - it's a good way to get the crowd going. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Same goes for the confetti, balloons and dancers etc. It's not as if they're churning the same record out 5 times in a row - I'd happily try and ebay a ticket to Green Man to see them again, and would thoroughly enjoy it even if they did exactly the same set.