Roads to avoid

Guest verrymerry

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a local who lives in a farm slightly off of one of these back roads you are talking about. If you don't let me in onto the main road I am going to wee in my cider before selling it to you, give you false 'secret' directions to you for the car park, then proceed to drive my combine harvester at 5mph in front of you until we get to the site...

I'm going for the west.

People, you are all saying avoid the A37 south, I will be coming from Bristol (basically)is there any route other than the A37 that is not going to be ridiculous? I don't think the A37 will matter for us, as we're going through Bristol at about 4am Wednesday BUT is there any better option anyway?

What a great thread! I'm taking a 23 foot camper to the East Campervan fields. As I live in Wales I normally do M5> A39 in a car and go to the West car parks. I'm planning on going Wednesday afternoon. Any suggestions?

Thinking about it, we found a great route from London last year. We missed the turn off to Castle Cary from the A303 so kept going to the next roundabout where we turned back on ourselves.

I can't remember the exact route (and it was a bit chaotic) but we followed road signs to Castle Cary, went past the Bath & West Show ground and seemed to miss any traffic - we arrived about 1.30pm on Wednesday :-)

I think this must have been how we went: Route

aren't people stressing a little too much about this? you will probably sit in a queue for an hour before getting into the carpark, but enjoy it! it's not worth getting lost around some tiny back roads about. if you really want, take a decent map of the area, and if you get stuck in a jam you can plan a route around it. I'll be heading down the A37 about 11am, I doubt it'll be that bad.

We've taken a route for years into the east that cuts out the traffic from the North/Wiltshire. Cut off the A361 onto A359, then through Batcombe and Evercreech. Across the A371 and your there, piss easy. Unfortunately, since they took Williams Grrenfield away from us (the bastards!) my crew are camping west and now looking for an alternative route over to that site, so this thread is very useful.

Not entirely sure what way we're going..

google maps says

we're taking the A500 to the M6 then junction 11a exit onto the M6 toward bham/the sw/m5

junction 15 exit onto M4 then junction 19 exit onto M32 toward A4174 Ring Road

hmm doesn't seem to mention the roads everyone else is talking about?!

aren't people stressing a little too much about this? you will probably sit in a queue for an hour before getting into the carpark, but enjoy it! it's not worth getting lost around some tiny back roads about. if you really want, take a decent map of the area, and if you get stuck in a jam you can plan a route around it. I'll be heading down the A37 about 11am, I doubt it'll be that bad.

Ok so jeep of us heading from Pembroke. I've got as far as the Severn Bridge/redwick sorted. Then comes the problem.

Head down the M5 then A39 , hoping for little traffic and plan back way in if it's jammers?

Stick to the A37 and hope for the best once we hit Shepton Mallet?

Or take a sneakier route suggested here, taking the B3130/B3114 that will bring us straight into Wells and then join the main roads around Shepton Mallet and plan other back ways in if necessary?

We'd be hitting Bristol around half 2.

If anyone can give us any indictation how busy these routes tend to be around that time?

We don't expect to be set up till 6-ish anyway but it'd be nice to know what to expect.

:) Thanks in advance

So why did I get stuck on the A37 for 5 hours last year then, the queue started about 15 miles from the festival. Also, the A39 was backed up all the way to the motorway, so yeah no reason to stress about it, wasting valuable festival time stuck in your car is far more fun