Football 2010-2011

Guest eFestivals

Sir Alex Ferguson will hold emergency talks with Manchester United's chief executive, David Gill, tomorrow morning to decide whether to sell Wayne Rooney after the player's damning statement accusing the club of not matching his own ambitions and questioning whether they are in decline.

Gill spoke with the Glazer family during the evening and a meeting has been arranged for 10am to decide whether to make Rooney available in the January transfer window. The club are incensed after Rooney went public with his misgivings about whether the club will be in a position to compete for major trophies over the coming years, an explicit admission that he feels United are stagnating under the ownership of the Glazers.

The player's statement prompted a robust defence from Ferguson after the 1-0 Champions League defeat of Bursaspor and it is increasingly likely Rooney will never play for the club again.

"The important thing is that we put it to bed," Ferguson said. "We have a meeting at 10am when we will assess the whole situation. David has already spoken to the owners, which is important. We don't want this carrying on. We don't want a saga and we don't want it becoming more important than the team. It could affect morale. If we carry on with one individual dominating the headlines and our thoughts we would not be doing our job."

Ferguson said it was not an option to suspend Rooney but he did not disguise his anger about the way the England international, seriously considering a potential £260,000-a-week offer to join Manchester City, had publicly questioned United's ambition. "Have I won 30 trophies or what?" the manager said. "I have every confidence in the future of this club.

"We have a good structure, the right staff, the right manager, the right chief executive. There's not a thing wrong with Manchester United. Some players like to think there's a better world somewhere else but it never really works. They look in a field and see a cow and they think it's a better cow than the one in their own field, and it never really works out that way."

Rooney had released his statement barely two hours before a match in which supporters brandished banners attacking his behaviour. "I met David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad," Rooney said. "I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract. For me, it's all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified."

The clear implication was that Rooney believes United are in danger of slipping behind the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City and he went on to question Ferguson's account of what had happened from the manager's press conference yesterday. "I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say and surprised by some of it. It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent [Paul Stretford] and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world."

A spokesman for the Glazers declined to comment but Ferguson's response was delivered emphatically. "We will invest for signature players when the time is ready, and this summer was not right for me. Our policy is to bring in young players and it is the right policy."

The manager was particularly aggrieved by the suggestion that his younger players might not be up to United's standard. "That's the trouble with potential. People don't identify potential – they're very poor at it – whereas I've identified it all my life. Others don't. I had a player once who said to me Rooney and Ronaldo weren't good enough and he was not prepared to wait until they were good enough." Ruud I guess

The developing war of words came on the day City's manager, Roberto Mancini, admitted he was monitoring Rooney's potential availability. "Every manager always works towards what is best for his club," Mancini said. "I'm not surprised [Rooney wants to leave] because I think the world has changed and the top players can change their teams every year now if they want."

Mancini diplomatically suggested that Rooney could stay at Old Trafford but the player cited "recent difficulties" with Ferguson before delivering what appeared to be his farewell line. "I know I will always owe Sir Alex a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18. For United's sake I wish he could go on forever because he's a one-off and a genius."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/20/wayne-rooney-manchester-united1?CMP=twt_gu

edit: some of that above seems to be an excerpt...

Sir Alex was in rousing mood on Wednesday night as he collects his thoughts following one of the more dramatic, and disappointing, weeks in his time as United boss. Here's the transcript of his post-match press conference...

"

To maintain the success at any football club is not a certainty, i.e. I always believe a four-year cycle is probably the most you can achieve in terms of success. Very few teams can create more than that four-year cycle. Last season we almost did it, we were one point short of winning the league for a record fourth time.

"We realised that to maintain that high consistency of being there challenging we had to inject youth into the club and we’ve been doing it for the last three or four years. We realised some years ago that Giggs, Scholes and Neville were never going to last forever and our policy is therefore to develop players within the club. We had a player that once said to me Rooney and Ronaldo weren’t good enough. Can you believe that? He actually said they weren’t good enough and he wasn’t prepared to wait until they were. That’s what happens, that’s the problem with potential – people don’t identify potential, they’re very poor at it. I’ve identified it all my life within young people – I know potential, I know how it can be developed and I know how to have faith in it - young people surprise you when you give them an opportunity. And that’s what this club is about. So when you see Manchester United at the moment with all these young players, you can’t see Manchester United three years ahead because you’re not thinking about that.

"We will invest in players when the time is ready. This summer wasn’t the right time as far as I was concerned; there was no value for me. There was one player who we would have liked to have got but he chose another club. I don’t think he ever wanted to come to England anyway. Some players don’t want

to leave their country, it’s a fact of life, some players are happy in their own country. Some players are happy to leave and Manchester United is always a big attraction for any player. If they don’t want to leave their country then we forget about it.

"In terms of the future of Manchester United there are a lot of things in my favour – history, the respect we have from people – if I told you how many agents phone my secretary every week about players who would love to play for us - and I don’t just mean run of the mill players, I’m talking about players at almost every club in the world - it would amaze you. It’s because this club still has that fantastic romance and respect from everyone.

"Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it’s a better cow than the one you’ve got in your own field. It’s a fact. But it never really works out that way. It’s probably the same cow which is only as good as your own cow. We have to deal with that – some players like to think that it’s a better world somewhere else, it never really works like that.

"As I said, three Premier League titles in a row is fantastic and we were within one point of a record fourth. It didn’t happen for us and we didn’t like that and we want to do something about it. We’ll be okay – I’ve got every confidence in that. We have a structure at the club which is good, we have the right staff, the right manager, the right chief executive, he’s a brilliant man. There’s nothing wrong with Manchester United, not a thing wrong with it. So we’ll carry on.

Edited by ralph250

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

The manager was particularly aggrieved by the suggestion that his younger players might not be up to United's standard. "That's the trouble with potential. People don't identify potential – they're very poor at it – whereas I've identified it all my life. Others don't. I had a player once who said to me Rooney and Ronaldo weren't good enough and he was not prepared to wait until they were good enough." RVN I guess

Edited by st dan

rooney is to good for united, he nos it, rooney wants more money wich united cant give him he wants to win more trophies . but he wont get them at united eather. the likes of giggs scholes and van da sar are all going in the summer because there two old. united are cumbering , city are the new force the ones with the money, ambition, and top players. united have very little of any of them.

rooney is to good for united, he nos it, rooney wants more money wich united cant give him he wants to win more trophies . but he wont get them at united eather. the likes of giggs scholes and van da sar are all going in the summer because there two old. united are cumbering , city are the new force the ones with the money, ambition, and top players. united have very little of any of them.

Edited by funkymp

Very interesting presser from Fergie last night, saying he only went for one top level player last year, Im pretty sure that was David Villa.

Apparently there are two Utd players who are absolutely raging over what Rooney said yesterday.

Main question though: Why wasn’t he sold in August? :blink:

And as for Hodgsons comments about Utd being in for Torres! Signed your own death warrant there Woy.

Edited by The Nal

"I think I'd have to say we'd cross that bridge when we come to it," the Reds boss said when asked about the threat of United possibly trying to sign Torres.

"I am pretty sure when a great player like Wayne Rooney is looking to leave his club, Manchester United will be in a position to target an awful lot of players around the world".

Main question though: Why wasn’t he sold in August? :blink:

perhaps because he didn't actually say he wouldn't sign a new contract and wanted out until last week, which is what Rooney says is the case?

It appears that fergie was doing his more normal thing of bullshitting about players who are on the way out (tho of course it's possible that it's rooney who's told the porkies - but fergie is one with the history of telling porkies with these things).

i don't see it being wise to play him.

Nor does ralph. Fergie thinks different, as he made clear last night.

It's no surprise to me, cos amongst everything else around Rooney, Utd need to perform on the pitch else Rooney's take on where Utd are going certainly becomes the reality.

If fergie's words are true, then Fergie's been happy to play him for the last two months, and no one has been doubting Rooney's commitment and effort over that time, only his form. And form is temporary.

Nothing has changed with any of that with things becoming public, the only thing that has changed is the perception of Rooney from the likes of you and me.

I'd disagree with this based on Rooney's current form. Man U's main problem this season has been their defence if anything, they've been alright down the other end.

Has Rooney helped those goals go in for Utd? Without a doubt.

They'd be weaker without his involvement and they can't afford to be weaker, as fergie has very obviously realised.

Edited by eFestivals

Nor does ralph. Fergie thinks different, as he made clear last night.

It's no surprise to me, cos amongst everything else around Rooney, Utd need to perform on the pitch else Rooney's take on where Utd are going certainly becomes the reality.

If fergie's words are true, then Fergie's been happy to play him for the last two months, and no one has been doubting Rooney's commitment and effort over that time, only his form. And form is temporary.

Nothing has changed with any of that with things becoming public, the only thing that has changed is the perception of Rooney from the likes of you and me.