Guest ApacheAnderson

It's a different festival but at Leeds 2007 it was baking hot all weekend, and eing my first festival I naively returned in 2008 thinking "Ah well if it rains then it rains!".

The Wednesday night was torrential, mud everywhere, my tent wasn't waterproof and I didn't have wellies. I enjoyed the rest of the weekend but I hated those few hours.

Will definitely be going armed with the essentials. Rain is the worst when you go unequipped, otherwise you can take it on the chin.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd but I really can't remember that much about 2007. I suppose because the 5 Glastos I've been to (2004 onwards) have ALL seen some rain I don't really think about it.

That said I know last year had the best weather, with 2008 second best.

I remember 2005 for the storm and the absurd amount of water that was dumped on the site - it was more flood than mud.

There is no denying that I'd prefer it to be dry (I dream of a year when there's no rain whatsoever) but I know I'll have a good time what ever.

Loved it! Didn't bother me at all. As a few other people have said, i don't remember the rain either really. The mud yes, sticky some places and sloppy others, but not the rain. Only remember it during the chemical brothers cos the lasers looked amazing.

It's a different festival but at Leeds 2007 it was baking hot all weekend, and eing my first festival I naively returned in 2008 thinking "Ah well if it rains then it rains!".

The Wednesday night was torrential, mud everywhere, my tent wasn't waterproof and I didn't have wellies. I enjoyed the rest of the weekend but I hated those few hours.

Will definitely be going armed with the essentials. Rain is the worst when you go unequipped, otherwise you can take it on the chin.

What people tend to forget about 2007 was that it was scorching hot the first two days (which is exactly what happened in 2005)

I just looked through the photos on facebook from 2007, and our camp did have a "just make the best of it" attitude and we are smiling in the photos that were taken in the camp after we'd returned from seeing Bill Bailey.

Though I will admit I did just want to get out of there as fast as possible once I'd woken up on the Monday, but then I'm like that at most festivals dry or wet, my brain has usually taken enough abuse from booze, drugs and lack of sleep by then!

I've seen lots of 'OMG I hope it's not like 2007' comments in the weather threads and such.

Personally I had a brilliant time in 2007, My (all be it slightly weird) wife says she preferred it to 2008.

Are we the only two people who enjoyed it?

2007 was still a brilliant year but it was stupidly wet. Everything you bought to eat turned to mush in minutes and our tent was full of mud!

It was a really strange quiet year because at night everyone went to find shelter so you could walk around freely. I remember going to sleep on the last night and saying to my girlfriend that by morning the rain would stop but then we were awake and it was just as heavy! Packing up our tent in the rain was a laugh(!)

My abiding memory however, was seeing Chemical Brothers. An amazing set and the only time we noticed the driving rain was when the lasers danced off the drops creating sheets of light. Amazing.

Edited by Harrow Strongbow Ciderman!

And actually I agree with some of the other postings. We had some nice sunny spells in 2007, I remember Sunday Pm was glorious during Shirley Bassey. :)

Plus I caught some sun that year from the 1st 2 days too.

& I'm pretty sure 'Katster' had "Panda Eyes" in 2007 cos she got shitfaced in the sun! :lol:

I think 2007 was harder for people who has already suffered a largely muddy 2004 & a flooded 2005. It was too many in a row that had turned out like that.

I missed out on tickets in 2005 despite trying everything and watched the floods on the telly and still thought I'd give anything to be there. So I went to 2007 with a "Golden Ticket" attitude. I honestly thought - this could be the last time I am ever lucky enough to get a ticket, I might never be lucky again, so I am going to make sure I enjoy this Glastonbury like it's my last!

I think that attitude meant I sailed through it. I got wet and muddy, and just stayed muddy, but I saw so many bands because it wasn't "wandering about" weather. It wasn't a festival for "chillin'" - at least not in any sense that you'd want to! So at the end of each act I was out with my programme and trudging off somewhere else - I really got about and had a great time!

I too ended the festival with The Chemical Brothers and didn't notice the rain! That may have been the rum though!

yeah, that's spot on. I like to wander about, see what takes my fancy and just mooch for 4 days, maybe catch 1 or 2 bands a day, but without any plan/agenda. In 2007, you couldn't really do that, you had decide who you wanted to see and then go see them. Took a lot of fun out of it for me.

I have been going since the early 80s and experienced just about every sort of weather at Glastonbury over the years, but 2007 just has to be the worst ever experienced. I still enjoyed plenty of things in 2007 - you wouldn't bother staying unless you had decided to make the most of it and have as good a time as possible - but anyone who says they positively enjoyed the fun & excitement of 4 days of rain and mud is really very strange.

God forbid Langdale Wolf and the NRNC sun-worshipers over on the proper weather thread get a whiff of this talk.

2007 was a nightmare. We always camp at Lime Kilm field (up near the coach drop off point). During the course of Sunday evening / Monday morning, they was the constant noise of a loud hailer / tannoy announcing the buses that were leaving, or which had been delayed, or cancelled. We could tell, just from the tannoy announcements, that is was madness and chaos rolled into one.

For example we heard: "Portsmouth, Portsmouth - this coach has been cancelled. For everyone who wants to go to Portsmouth take the London coach....there are no coaches to Portsmouth" (!)

We woke (even though that we didn't sleep particularly well!) at about 6.00am to torrential rain. I remember packing up and taking the tent down etc whilst shivering. We then had the walk to the West car parks; I remember getting to the John Peel stage, with mud, water and god knows what up to my knees and telling my (then girlfriend) wife: "I'm not coming next year - I have had enough!"..

Of course I did go in 2008..and in 2009..

I have been every year since 1998 (which was also a very wet one - anyone remember England v Columbia in the Cinema Field on the friday night?!?) and 2007 was the worse for me, even though compared to 1998, I was much better prepared.

Like most of us, I still have a great time when it is wet - it is just a completely different vibe and feel and clearly sunny is better...

Here is a photo from 2007. One of my fav taken by a friend in our group that year.

I call this one 'Straw Island'

as you can see there is just a touch of mud about, but at the time the photo is taken it isn't raining & some peeps are sitting enjoying the sun. :D

gallery_60699_685_63378.jpg

I think this was near the Cider Bus so alot of traffic passing to & from The Pyramid. But f**k, was that some "Mud Swamp" :blink:

Yep, there was defo some sun out in 2007 B)

Look lots of peeps sitting about having a drink & a chat, soaking up the vibes while the sun is out.

This is how it shud be :blink:

gallery_60699_685_163677.jpg

2007 was my first Glastonbury, and I loved it, especially when the sun did come out!

But i have to confess I enjoyed 2008 and 2009 much more when I was able to swap the wellies for the trainers and be able to walk around a lot easier. I remember leaving the Pyramid Stage after Arctic Monkeys, took me 45 minutes to get back to Park Home, with the shin high clay-esque mud to the Other Stage and the agony of athletes foot kicking in!

:(:(

Last night I went to the gym and actually had to stay in the car for 10 minutes because the rain was so heavy that i knew i would be soaked through in the short walk from the car park and end up with no dry clothes to put back on at the end of my session.

When it eased off a bit (still chucking it down mind), I literally paddled ankle deep in water from the car park - it was like walking up a stream.

Inside the gym, it had started to look like a scene from Titanic - water was edging up along all the corridors and all the staff were frantically running round looking for mops and towels!

I just started laughing and said to another girl who was coming into the gym - "in exactly 2 weeks time i'm going to Glastonbury!"....and she just said "Wow" How Fantastic!" ....so I said "Are you sure?....In this?" and she just said "Yes but the atmosphere there always looks so amazing - i would love to go!"

It just really made me think that it is just great to be there, and I thought how I'd been out in that awful rain for a few minutes and it had been OK, even in sandals and work clothes. I remembered laughing at the mud in 97 & 98 when I was so ill equipped and wandered round with binliners over my trainers skidding all over the place, and I remembered 2007 with my proper kagoule and walking boots, treking from stage to stage, high fiving people who looked sad to make them smile, and just having a good time because it was Glastonbury!

I really really want it not to be wet and muddy, but if it is wet & muddy, it's still Glastonbury.

Last night I went to the gym and actually had to stay in the car for 10 minutes because the rain was so heavy that i knew i would be soaked through in the short walk from the car park and end up with no dry clothes to put back on at the end of my session.

When it eased off a bit (still chucking it down mind), I literally paddled ankle deep in water from the car park - it was like walking up a stream.

Inside the gym, it had started to look like a scene from Titanic - water was edging up along all the corridors and all the staff were frantically running round looking for mops and towels!

I just started laughing and said to another girl who was coming into the gym - "in exactly 2 weeks time i'm going to Glastonbury!"....and she just said "Wow" How Fantastic!" ....so I said "Are you sure?....In this?" and she just said "Yes but the atmosphere there always looks so amazing - i would love to go!"

It just really made me think that it is just great to be there, and I thought how I'd been out in that awful rain for a few minutes and it had been OK, even in sandals and work clothes. I remembered laughing at the mud in 97 & 98 when I was so ill equipped and wandered round with binliners over my trainers skidding all over the place, and I remembered 2007 with my proper kagoule and walking boots, treking from stage to stage, high fiving people who looked sad to make them smile, and just having a good time because it was Glastonbury!

I really really want it not to be wet and muddy, but if it is wet & muddy, it's still Glastonbury.

2007 made me give up on Glastonbury ... again :rolleyes:

Gave up after 11 years in 2000 ... went back in 2005 and had a great time, went in 2007 and several factors just made me give up ... again..

..I am weak tho, sure I'll return sometime :P Hope everyone has a fookin blast this year!! B)

Nah, 2007 was a pain in the arse. 2005 was brilliant (and I think up until last year, my favourite)...it's not the mud (it was mental in '05), but the constant rain in '07 started to piss me off by Sunday night. It's a competely different festival when you can flake out and have a beer on the grass.