Hawkwind to replace U2

Guest Bloke down the pub

They can light up my night sky any day!

I like this bit ' U2 manager Paul McGuinness rejected the protestors' accusations, insisting that "U2 is a global business and it pays taxes globally". "At least 95% of U2's business ... takes place outside of Ireland and as a result the band pays many different kinds of taxes all over the world," he told the Belfast Telegraph.

The band are "personal investors and employers" in Ireland, McGuinness said, but "like any other business, U2 operates in a tax-efficient manner".

I have to point out here that I used to be a Tax Inspector in the Special Office { which was the Inland Revenues Serious Fraud Office } but never dealt with U2's accounts but have dealt with many famous bands.{ but cant list them here as I am still bound by the official secrets act }

The Stones Tax avoidance scheme { evasion is illegal - avoidance is not } used to be used when training new Tax Inspectors as they were the first major UK group to employ a Dutch Company over in the Dutch Antilles { in the Caribbean Sea } so I am not breaking any official secrets as its well known in the tax community and in fact they paved the way for many other famous bands to do the same.

As far as I am aware The Who has kept the bands tax affairs in the UK so really they should be applauded for doing so.

it used to kill me when I would see the tax Collector chasing some OAP who had earned £ 20 over a year more than their tax allowance and they would be hit with a bill { that could be backdated six years } and they were paying more tax than 90 % of famous UK bands who had ran for cover in Countries they may never have even visited.

Now most of us in the UK would love to run our tax affairs in a tax-efficient manner but the rules are stacked against us .

Funny enough the USA who used to have very lax tax laws now has very strict laws and they can nail you no matter where you try to hide it - labour did claim they were going to harmonise tax Law with the states which would remove most tax loop holes but 13 years later they never did get around to doing it.

Sure none of us like paying tax and VAT but most of us don't have a choice and at least some of it does some good { NHS - Education - Welfare etc etc } but it kills me when a famous person will bend over backwards to avoid even a penny of tax.

So If Bono does make it and he starts spouting off about World debt I do hope that people remember he does not practice what he preaches.

Or perhaps I am wrong and he is shifting the bands earnings about so that he can help other Countries - call me a old bastard but Charity begins at home.

I will never be a famous rock star but if I was I would rather hold my head up proud and pay taxes in the Country of my birth than hiding behind the phrase tax-efficient manner

Noticed this from clashfinder... then on Nik Turners website..

24th June

Inner City Unit

Glastonbury Festival (Shangri-La Stage)

25th June

Inner City Unit

Glastonbury Festival (Shangri-La Stage)

26th June

Space Ritual

Glastonbury Festival (Rabbit Hole Stage)

He's doing a space ritual 40th anniversary concert at the hub stage on thursday night

worth a look for hawkwind fans

a memory that will allways stay with me was a weekend at greenham common during the womens peace camp in the early 80`s, went into the woods (to do what bears do in the woods) and heard the sound of a sax playing nearby, went to investigate and it was nik turner wandering around playing to himself. AWESOME.....!