Virus?

Guest NeilVJ

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever pushed the malware on to your computers is certainly responsible, but there's not much you can do about them without going into the realm of illegal activity.

Sun are to blame for not having a mechanism for pushing out a critical fix, leaving an unpatched vulnerability on everyone's PC for the best part of a month. You can get back at them by uninstalling Java or disabling the plugin, most of you probably don't use it anyway.

If you've got a bought and paid for antivirus solution and you still got owned, then your AV provider is partly responsible too. You could both complain and switch to a free AV solution.

The site owner is responsible for looking after their servers, keeping their users calm, offering advice and telling everyone what actually happened. I don't see any announcements or information about the hack, which is where this site fails.

Oh FFS, what's with the fcuking blame game and sh!t stirring bollox that always has to come along whenever anything happens anywhere ? ... sh!t sometimes happens, it can often be a PITA but life goes on. Please get used to and/or over it. As said bl**dy ages ago now but god knows how many pages up that I can't be @rsed to find it in this thread and quote it properly:

I've no idea exactly what the problem is, exactly where it is or exactly who is technically responsible for hosting the cr@p in the first place ... but it most certainly does appear to me that anyone who has been unfortunate enough to get nailed by it must also take their fair share of the blame as well.
Edited by mikeb

I don't see any announcements or information about the hack, which is where this site fails.

The more that is revealed, the more at risk this website is into the future.

I have said (tho maybe in the thread in Discussions) that it's the result of some open source software getting hacked, using a flaw that wasn't known of on Friday evening so impossible to protect against. That software has been disabled so it can't happen again via that route.

Such things are impossible to firewall against - if there's a firewall, then you can't get at this website.

I think a simple

"We all know how these things work, Its not my fault, but sorry if its mucked up your computer"

would have been nice. common courtesy doesnt cost anything.

Its nice to be nice.

I was far more concerned with addressing the problem so that no more people were infected than I was thinking about an apology. Care to tell me that was the wrong way to go about things?

Since that initial panic, I've realised that efestivals is no less of victim of this than anyone else. As the victim of a crime, what is there to apologise for?

Ive said this before, and a few techy types have agreed, so Im saying it again - theres more to not getting infected than just your antivirus.

I have exactly this setup, with AVG on auto-update. I got the virus.

While it requires a user to have certain software installed (Java, Acrobat), decent AV software that was fully up-to-date (so it defo contained the relevant virus definition) would simply not allow the virus file onto your hard disk without at least asking the user first if it should be allowed.

I have stayed away from this because IT is my job and I love it.

However, I do feel like starting a poll here.

How many of the infected people are using AVG or any other free AV program and got infected?

How many people are using a fully loaded version of Norton or Symantec and got infected?

We are willing to pay up to £1000 for a computer and then use AVG when a proper AV program costs less than £50.

Enough Said

For all the AVG users out there, update to the latest definitions, run a scan on the whole computer and it will probably pick up 2 or 3 infections. Confine them to the vault and then clear the fault. This should fix the problem, if not, run a full scan every day until it does.

And if I ask you for more details without grovelling, you'll do all you can to unnecessarily scare people over a problem that you say exist but won't give further details over. Yeah, I've got that.

Do you have anything useful to add? Or is scaring people unnecessarily the limits of your talents?

Good to see everyone rallying round, surely this is what the festival spirit is all about?

This site is great and has helped us all in one way or another and it would be a sad day if it ever dissapeared.

For the record, I was using AVG Free and it notified me of the virus and I took care of it.

I was far more concerned with addressing the problem so that no more people were infected than I was thinking about an apology. Care to tell me that was the wrong way to go about things?

Since that initial panic, I've realised that efestivals is no less of victim of this than anyone else. As the victim of a crime, what is there to apologise for?

Edited by webstl