Campervan Parking Open From MID-DAY Tuesday - Is This True?

Guest zakmatt

Ive been searched every year, but not a problem, although they do seem to take a load of glass bottles of beer off people every year, I went in their container to collect stuff one year and it was loaded with booze.

Last year there was a bunch of lads all drinking beer from glass bottles while we were checked.

Ive been searched every year, but not a problem, although they do seem to take a load of glass bottles of beer off people every year, I went in their container to collect stuff one year and it was loaded with booze.

Last year there was a bunch of lads all drinking beer from glass bottles while we were checked.

When we arrived last year the security guy popped his head in the window and asked if we had any glass. I had just decanted a small bottle of vodka in to a plastic bottle and handed the empty glass bottle to him which seemed to reassure him that there was nothing else worth searching for.

Van searches are pretty random to say the least. You'll probably get a quick search by way of opening the back door while someone pops their head in. However on the very rare pccasion they'll also be ripping the odd camper apart because they are paid to get results. If they don't get results then the bosses will question! Kind of a catch 22 situation really. Don't panic tho, the van searching people are some of the nicest security on the whole site, I've always found them to be extremely pleasant and very welcoming.

On a different subject...........how does the 8pm campervan thing stand with the potential England world cup match on the Tuesday. I think it kicks off at 3pm so will some of us be driving around the M25 while watching the telly at the same time! I was planning to get in and settled down well before this.

Full list (from the BBC) of games on over the festival - NO England game on Tuesday so no rush

Tuesday, 22 June 2010

France v South Africa, Gp A, 15:00

Mexico v Uruguay, Gp A, 15:00

Greece v Argentina, Gp B, 19:30

Nigeria v South Korea, Gp B, 19:30

Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Slovenia v ENGLAND, Gp C, 15:00

USA v Algeria, Gp C, 15:00

Australia v Serbia, Gp D, 19:30

Ghana v Germany, Gp D, 19:30

Thursday, 24 June 2010

Paraguay v New Zealand, Gp F, 15:00

Slovakia v Italy, Gp F, 15:00

Cameroon v Netherlands, Gp E, 19:30

Denmark v Japan, Gp E, 19:30

Friday, 25 June 2010

North Korea v Ivory Coast, Gp G, 15:00

Portugal v Brazil, Gp G, 15:00

Chile v Spain, Gp H, 19:30

Switzerland v Honduras, Gp H, 19:30

Saturday, 26 June 2010

Winner Gp A v Runner-up Gp B, 16R, 15:00

Winner Gp C v Runner-up Gp D, 16R, 19:30

Sunday, 27 June 2010

Winner Gp D v Runner-up Gp C, 16R, 15:00

Winner Gp B v Runner-up Gp A, 16R, 19:30

Monday, 28 June 2010

Winner Gp E v Runner-up Gp F, 16R, 15:00

Winner Gp G v Runner-up Gp H, 16R, 19:30

Hmmm 8pm is hardly ideal, I suppose at that time there will be a couple of hours of daylight left but by opening the gates then there really isn't much time to get into the field, get parked up, get awning up and get the van uppakced before darkness sets in. Surely then opening at 8 will still mean that people will be queueing waiting for the gates to open so they don't have to struggle in the dark. Mid afternoon at say 4 o'clock or something sounds more sensible in my head and will mean less vans for the stewards to park up in the dark. Manovering a caravan in a dark field sounds like a nightmare to me.
Edited by farewellandgoodnight

As far as I understand it you're not allowed to set anything up until the newt morning anyway. It may be different to the regular campsites but i'd not be surprised if you were told to remain in your camper van until the Wednesday morning before setting anything up.

Might be worth querying this. i don't think they want people out of vehicles and wandering around until the festival actually opens.

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

This year we'll have a trailer tent. The only way to search it is to set it up first. I'd love to find a security team prepared to help me put it up in order to do a search.

Seriously, no glass is important and not a hard rule to follow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...