Campervan Parking Open From MID-DAY Tuesday - Is This True?

Guest zakmatt

I was checking out Glastonburys new licence which runs from 2010 until 2016 - And have copied part of it below:

Glastonbury Festival has been granted a new licence to run until 2016, the full details of which are below.

Some highlights of the new licence are

•Licence granted until 2016

•The Park to open on Thursday and licensed until 3am each night.

•Car parks open from 9pm on Tuesday

•Campervan fields open from midday Tuesday

•Shangri La to be made larger

Official notification from Mendip District Council

As you can see - It states that parking is available from 9.00pm from the Tuesday evening for main car parks, but campervan/motorhome parking is open from MID-DAY on Tuesday -

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE CONFIRM IF THIS IS THE CASE ? As it does not really seem to be ''public knowledge''.

As far as I am aware this is still the official take on things:

As with the car parks, we're planning to open the campervan/caravan fields slightly earlier this year, with access expected to be available from the Tuesday evening. However, the Festival site itself will still not open until 8am on Wednesday morning.

I was checking out Glastonburys new licence which runs from 2010 until 2016 - And have copied part of it below:

Glastonbury Festival has been granted a new licence to run until 2016, the full details of which are below.

Some highlights of the new licence are

•Licence granted until 2016

•The Park to open on Thursday and licensed until 3am each night.

•Car parks open from 9pm on Tuesday

•Campervan fields open from midday Tuesday

•Shangri La to be made larger

Official notification from Mendip District Council

As you can see - It states that parking is available from 9.00pm from the Tuesday evening for main car parks, but campervan/motorhome parking is open from MID-DAY on Tuesday -

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE CONFIRM IF THIS IS THE CASE ? As it does not really seem to be ''public knowledge''.

I'm guessing it'll be midday Tuesday rather than 9pm. Up until this year early campervan arrivals have been during daylight hours and thats when most of the stewards all get broken in, so to speak. It gets quite stressful up there, campervans need to be organised properly and safely and I can't see all those freshly volunteered stewards coping too well with all the shunting about in the dark.

Anyway, midday or 9pm I'm quite looking forward to chilling in the cv fields for a couple of days before the mayhem begins.

On a different subject re the licence, does the new 3am extension for the Park mean Park stage bands are going on until this time or just the surrounding entertainment? Anyone know? Thanks

I'm guessing it'll be midday Tuesday rather than 9pm. Up until this year early campervan arrivals have been during daylight hours and thats when most of the stewards all get broken in, so to speak. It gets quite stressful up there, campervans need to be organised properly and safely and I can't see all those freshly volunteered stewards coping too well with all the shunting about in the dark.

Anyway, midday or 9pm I'm quite looking forward to chilling in the cv fields for a couple of days before the mayhem begins.

On a different subject re the licence, does the new 3am extension for the Park mean Park stage bands are going on until this time or just the surrounding entertainment? Anyone know? Thanks

Here's the reply I got from the festival office.

Hello there,

We are still finalising the logistics of potentially opening the campervan fields & car parks Tuesday…it’s possible that the caravan/campervan field may be available for people to park up in from Tuesday evening around 8pm, but all is still to be confirmed.

Best wishes,

Glasfestoffice

Hmmm 8pm is hardly ideal, I suppose at that time there will be a couple of hours of daylight left but by opening the gates then there really isn't much time to get into the field, get parked up, get awning up and get the van uppakced before darkness sets in. Surely then opening at 8 will still mean that people will be queueing waiting for the gates to open so they don't have to struggle in the dark. Mid afternoon at say 4 o'clock or something sounds more sensible in my head and will mean less vans for the stewards to park up in the dark. Manovering a caravan in a dark field sounds like a nightmare to me.

Hmmm 8pm is hardly ideal, I suppose at that time there will be a couple of hours of daylight left but by opening the gates then there really isn't much time to get into the field, get parked up, get awning up and get the van uppakced before darkness sets in. Surely then opening at 8 will still mean that people will be queueing waiting for the gates to open so they don't have to struggle in the dark. Mid afternoon at say 4 o'clock or something sounds more sensible in my head and will mean less vans for the stewards to park up in the dark. Manovering a caravan in a dark field sounds like a nightmare to me.
Edited by psychology

How thourough are the searches? I've heard they are mostly looking for glass which is fair enough but I don't want to spend ages organising and packing everything away neatly in the van to only have ragged out when we arrive on site

For our last two trips to Glasto our camper was 'searched'. This just involved the security coming on board and having a chat.

We have found that so far, if you are courteous and friendly to them AND reassure them that you know the rules, mostly that there is no glass on board they let you go with no hassle.