Name Your Shame

Guest paulo999

We've all got a few. Seeing Sean Rowland's Guilty Pleasures, or Baggy Mondays, rammed up at the Park every year. There's takers. Are we really as cool as we think we are?

I'm not, so here goes:

A-Ha: because of a post on here, actually went to see them live a few months back. Marvellous synth pop fun.

E, L f**king O: Out of the Blue was my first album. Rather weirdly, they seem to be doing the full 'cool' loop, and might be cool againH??

MR R WILLIAMS: once and once only: Glastonbury 1998 was it? Blimey. Whoda thought? Car crash gig ended in non-car crash. Unlike East 17.

Roll up folks, roll up your favourite cheese.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't be ashamed of anything you listen to, it doesn't matter if its uncool. :P

Your musical taste is part of what defines you, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you were really ashamed you wouldn't listen to it.

And besides, whatever you think is embarrassing to listen to, you've always got to remember; somewhere out there, someone is listening to Lady Gaga.

(And for the record, E.L.O. are amazing. I only wish Jeff Lynne would do something! Anything! It doesn't even have to be new, he could re-record/tour old songs for all I care, but the guy is great, he needs to get active!!! )

Edited by judyblue110

My very first concert attendance was at Wembley at the Tango in the Night Tour for Fleetwood Mac when I was 9. I have seen them twice more since then (once when I was 14 and they played Earl's Court - the whole family in tow) and also the last show at Wembley this past Nov/Dec. Bloody marvellous! (I have my dad to thank for this fandom).

Will be getting tickets to see Aha at the end of the year on their Farewell Tour (cos I have never got around to seeing them - so def taking the opportunity while it's there).

Have attended a Meatloaf concert in the early 90s and saw the 'Quo at the Brighton Centre in the same year. (Partly cos of my dad buying tix I have to say).

Loved every minute of the Robbie show at the G in 98.

Would love to go and catch a Take That concert but have never pulled my finger out in time to get tix.

You shouldn't be ashamed of anything you listen to, it doesn't matter if its uncool. :P

Your musical taste is part of what defines you, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you were really ashamed you wouldn't listen to it.

And besides, whatever you think is embarrassing to listen to, you've always got to remember; somewhere out there, someone is listening to Lady Gaga.

(And for the record, E.L.O. are amazing. I only wish Jeff Lynne would do something! Anything! It doesn't even have to be new, he could re-record/tour old songs for all I care, but the guy is great, he needs to get active!!! )

My musical uncool is a little different.

I never really listened to much music from the 80s, despite growing up during them. Parents preferred listening to Classical, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, Country (My Mum) and Jazz (My Dad), and rarely had the radio on. I didn't develop my own love of music until the early 90s, by which time a lot of the music from the 80s was discounted as crap.

It has only been this year where I have started listening to 80s Pop and Indie, and discovered how good it was. This came to a head 2 weeks ago when my mate introduced me to The Smiths. Despite coming from Manchester, and hearing the occassional Smiths song on the radio or at Indie nights, I'd never paid them any attention. Suddenly realising what a fantastic band they were, I'm now wondering what else passed me by.

I also *gulp* quite like Scouting for Girls. th_blush.gif

My very first concert attendance was at Wembley at the Tango in the Night Tour for Fleetwood Mac when I was 9. I have seen them twice more since then (once when I was 14 and they played Earl's Court - the whole family in tow) and also the last show at Wembley this past Nov/Dec. Bloody marvellous! (I have my dad to thank for this fandom).

Will be getting tickets to see Aha at the end of the year on their Farewell Tour (cos I have never got around to seeing them - so def taking the opportunity while it's there).

Have attended a Meatloaf concert in the early 90s and saw the 'Quo at the Brighton Centre in the same year. (Partly cos of my dad buying tix I have to say).

Loved every minute of the Robbie show at the G in 98.

Would love to go and catch a Take That concert but have never pulled my finger out in time to get tix.

My musical uncool is a little different.

I never really listened to much music from the 80s, despite growing up during them. Parents preferred listening to Classical, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, Country (My Mum) and Jazz (My Dad), and rarely had the radio on. I didn't develop my own love of music until the early 90s, by which time a lot of the music from the 80s was discounted as crap.

It has only been this year where I have started listening to 80s Pop and Indie, and discovered how good it was. This came to a head 2 weeks ago when my mate introduced me to The Smiths. Despite coming from Manchester, and hearing the occassional Smiths song on the radio or at Indie nights, I'd never paid them any attention. Suddenly realising what a fantastic band they were, I'm now wondering what else passed me by.

I also *gulp* quite like Scouting for Girls. th_blush.gif

Illegal move.

You cannot cite The Smiths as uncoolness, despite the sneaky intro.

For 80s, there's a plenty of synth pop to try, for example. But don't you be coming on this thread with your "I accidentally just discovered what is commonly regarded as a seminal band". Grrr.

I have a 3 disc 'Best of Country Classics' set in the car that gets played regularly on my travels for work! Love it! Reminds me of being a kid and my Mum blasting out Tammy Wynette records on a Saturday morning when we'd do the housework! Seriously uncool but I don't care! :P

In order of Shame

1...Neil Diamond at Glastonbury....Went under strict orders from her indoors to get sme photos...Managed to get to front,but could only stand about 6 songs before i departed.

2... UB 40....Manchester Nynex with my ex....

3...B B King......NEC 2007 ?...bitterly dissapointed...very poor and to top it all,Gary Moore was support...2.75 hour trip there....Not a good night.

4...This was a Glastonbury suprise,last year i was with my daughter and we went to watch Will Young, i was very apprehensive...But wow i had a great time....If hes there again this year we will be back

Bloody hell i forgot the worst...Lionel Richie at the NEC..Pass the sick bucket please.

Edited by denwyn

I once sat through So Solid Crew and Five while waiting for Ash to come on at a free festival in Plymouth. The guilty part is that I actually quite enjoyed Five :P