Kendal Calling 2010

Guest SharonStoned

OK, you're maybe right but

<snip>

All returned

Actions speak louder than words!

That's much the same thing again I'm afraid. :lol::lol:

Most of us dislike our jobs to some extent, but we keep on returning to them daily because it pays the bills. It's little different for any act outside of the mega-stars.

I've not posted the above bits to try to suggest that KC is either good or bad - I've not been, so all I really know of it is via things such as the posts in this thread. I'm merely saying that what you've put forwards about bands as proof for it being a good festie can't really be taken as meaning that it is.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with security, except maybe they weren't zealous enough. If you've not got ID you should have your booze taken away. Too many underage kids away for a weekend of drinking and not being able to handle it.

I thought that there did seem to be a fair few youths acting tw@ttish, but there were also lots of young folk behaving in a responsible manner. I.D could be something that needs looking at, maybe no admission to U-18's unless accompanied by a 'responsible' (over 25?) adult.

Kendal Calling was our first festival and we took the kids. In the Emperors Fields with another gang and had bags of space, toilets hung on nearly all weekend, and it was pretty quiet throughout (to say we were at the side of Danny Fontaine and his crowd).

We all thought it was a phenomenal festival, perhaps we were lucky not to see any aggro, but the mix of music, comedy, performance, and REAL ALE and pretty decent food was full value for money. I must have seen 30 or 40 performances over the weekend, which averages out about £2 a show, before you count the camping and the whole atmosphere in the fields.

Highlights for me were Wind Up Birds on Friday doing what sounded like 'Bast@rd Song', Micky P Kerr on Sunday with his 5 year old lead singer, and the Riot Jazz Brass Band (we were singing 'Souza-me-phone' all weekend), and they're 3 acts I'd never heard of before the weekend.

Perhaps the key is to get the campsites more clearly marked early on, and keep it manageably small. The only time I felt it was a bit too lively for our kids was during the Futureheads, who had a big crowd (the biggest?), and there was plenty of swaying and staggering going on, although nothing more than at the local Academy.

Kendal Calling was our first festival and we took the kids. In the Emperors Fields with another gang and had bags of space, toilets hung on nearly all weekend, and it was pretty quiet throughout (to say we were at the side of Danny Fontaine and his crowd).

We all thought it was a phenomenal festival, perhaps we were lucky not to see any aggro, but the mix of music, comedy, performance, and REAL ALE and pretty decent food was full value for money. I must have seen 30 or 40 performances over the weekend, which averages out about £2 a show, before you count the camping and the whole atmosphere in the fields.

Highlights for me were Wind Up Birds on Friday doing what sounded like 'Bast@rd Song', Micky P Kerr on Sunday with his 5 year old lead singer, and the Riot Jazz Brass Band (we were singing 'Souza-me-phone' all weekend), and they're 3 acts I'd never heard of before the weekend.

Perhaps the key is to get the campsites more clearly marked early on, and keep it manageably small. The only time I felt it was a bit too lively for our kids was during the Futureheads, who had a big crowd (the biggest?), and there was plenty of swaying and staggering going on, although nothing more than at the local Academy.

Edited by MickeyMo

Maybe I'll try the Emperor Fields next time. The real ale was a massive bonus for me too - and no problem getting served either. Micky P Kerr was a surprise success for me too, as were General Fiasco and Tankus the Henge. And many others!

Great username, by the way! Be great to see them at KC next year!

I thought that there did seem to be a fair few youths acting tw@ttish, but there were also lots of young folk behaving in a responsible manner. I.D could be something that needs looking at, maybe no admission to U-18's unless accompanied by a 'responsible' (over 25?) adult.

I wondered at the time if this was due to having Calvin Harris headlining Friday, thinking that he might attract a 'certain' type of audience; my daughter told me she was near the front about half-an-hour before he came on, but left because she didn't feel safe because of the pushing.

That and the large amount of glass bottles in the campsite & the arena, I know that to search everyone would be almost impossible, but relying on folk's honesty didn't work.

All that aside, I had a fantastic week-end, camped near some good people, and definitely coming again.

Maybe next time though, Poo F.M. could wind down just a shade earlier...

tommy

Me too! Kendal Calling was the best event i have traded at this summer.

You must have traded at some really crap events then!

And better than last year in every way.

I make it my point to talk to as many traders as possible and that's most. All with only one exception - who was maybe overpriced - were happy. Absolute bollocks! Nearly all traders were at KC last year and hope to return. I didn't speak to one who wouldn't. You certainly mustn't have spoken to the same ones as me then. But you seem to be missing the point of my op which was to highlight just how many knobheads were there. Trading is a different issue.

<blah

blah>

Just who are you 3 or 4 'newbies' who, (2 of you say you met each other)have signed up purely to trash what's a very enjoyable, friendly venue for the rest of us? I'm not sure who the others are and I like to remain anonymous but I can assure you I haven't signed up to trash the event - I am merely telling the truth and relating what I, and others, witnessed the whole weekend. I post here on another account and have been here for a few years. I could ask you the same question with your 9 posts! Are you one of the organisers in disguise? Who are you?!

Refusal- How do you know so much about backstage, staff camping and traders?

All Very Suspicious! What is it that you find suspicious? Why wouldn't people sign up to discuss a festival on a website aimed at, errr, discussing festivals?!!!

You got me FoodFighter, I'm part of a highly secret team of three paid to try and discredit North Eastern festivals on forums. You should see the slating I gave Beatherder.

Now that paranoid Henry has been reassured that he's being silly perhaps the organisers might want to answer a few points? That might be helpful for those people who are worried about attending next year, IMHO it seems mainly to be around theft, security attitudes, late opening of site and alchamohol prices...? The traders will decide based on profits so there isn't much that can be said to them.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I worked there so that's how I know about stuff. You know the trading was terrible and the takings for most were dramatically low. You know the organiser (perhaps even yourself as his right hand man..?) is in talks with people about pitch fees and location, so don't be a Pinnochio to the good people reading this. It's fact, not criticism.

That's it done for me so bye all and have a good festival season, wherever you are.

Edited by refusal

Out of everything good that can be said about the festival, this is not the one. The ales were ok priced at £3.50, but £3.50 for a can of San Miguel was obscene enough, £3.20 for A CAN of Carlsberg - not a cold draught pint - represents the biggest rip off |Ive ever seen at a festival.

In reply to the trader who was complaining about lack of trade, I don't know if you were in the food business, but I know a lot of people who went Self-Catering.

OK, I know that you have to pay for pitches etc, but some folk were just taking the what's-name.

Respect though to the Bacon Bun stall near the swing-boats

There must have been half-a-pig in those rolls, and £1.50 for a whole pint (sorry 500ml) of caffeine, I thought was very reasonable.

I don't think it's fair to call someone miserable if they don't have a good time, it's a bit like kicking someone when they're down! Not very festival minded...!

I for one didn't want to give the impression I was being negative or miserable, but wanted to add my veiws on why the festival didn't work for a lot of people. There seems to be a big difference between punter experience and trader or performer. And that many punters enjoyed it is great..But the problem is...you need the traders and the performers to enjoy the festival to have a festival next year!

And to those who say all festivals are like this are just plain wrong! I travel around the country to festies almost every other week and have done for a couple of years and I like to believe I'm even minded and fair, and I did see some things this weekend that I've never seen before in the attitudes of security, thefts, staff campping facilities, takings, layout, noise bleed, attitudes of punters...etc etc.

Just because my experience may not agree with yours it does not mean it isn't valid and it's one that is important to flag to organisers to make sure as many people can be accommodated as possible. With so much competition I don't think any festie can afford to be complacent.

Out of everything good that can be said about the festival, this is not the one. The ales were ok priced at £3.50, but £3.50 for a can of San Miguel was obscene enough, £3.20 for A CAN of Carlsberg - not a cold draught pint - represents the biggest rip off |Ive ever seen at a festival.

I'm curious by the comment that the organisers are just in it to make money, as I was lead to believe that the focus of this festival was to provide excellent value for money and not to be a particularly profit making exercise. Sounds like that may have changed.

Highlight for me was Dananananaykroyd. Unbeatable Set from them. PLEASE get them on next year too.

I never had any trouble or witnessed any, only some lad trying to get into my brothers tent about 3 am, luckily i was in the doorway of my tent making a err smoke. I just shouted something about tw@tting him round the head with something if he pulled the zip on the tent any higher. He ran off sharpish.

The good weather was a bonus too.

Hey there, as a few of you may know I'm one of the two organisers of Kendal Calling. We're still on site packing up so I've not had chance to log online until now but I thought I might come and answer a few questions.

First of all, personally I think we've had the best festival yet and nearly arrived at where we want to be. The vast, vast majority of feedback both from artists and festival-goers alike has been glowing - we've actually booked a few rather large acts (who weren't playing but were down for the weekend) already for next year!

Now that paranoid Henry has been reassured that he's being silly perhaps the organisers might want to answer a few points? That might be helpful for those people who are worried about attending next year, IMHO it seems mainly to be around theft, security attitudes, late opening of site and alchamohol prices...? The traders will decide based on profits so there isn't much that can be said to them.

Edited by naarjtie

On a positive note, the RJC was amazing, (Danny Fontaine!!) and would like to ask if anyone PLEASE knows the name of the great jazz singer who was on Sun eve. She'd prob hate the description but she sounded a little Amy Winehouse-y...would love to catch her elsewhere..anyone? Ta and happy festivalling.