Them Crooked Vultures and The Libertines

Guest zeppelin

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are so wrong there. TCV are big amongst a certain crowd but more people know blink than TCV and thats a fact.

oh, I don't disagree that it's very likely that more people are aware of Blink's existence.

But would more people in the UK part with more money to see them than would be the case with TCV? Not a chance in hell.

True to an extent but Blink look so much stronger at the top of a bill than TCV would do

only to laughable-punk kiddies. The world (I'm pleased to say) isn't dominated by these types.

In my opinion to judge a band you have to forget who they are and judge it on the music alone and if you're doing that no band should headline off 1 album and not even two.

the contradiction within that makes your opinion totally laughable. :P

Are you saying sources think they'll headline main?

Our current best info is just that.

How come every one complains about the same bands rotating the festivals every year as headliners and them being to trendy for an alternative festival, then when reading pull something like this off, if it happens (please let it) , then people complain again.

In the blink v TCV arguement, you have a renowned bad live band vs probably one of the best around at the min. I'd still love 2 c blink tho.

I'm sure that the NME will have something good on for those who won't want 2 see TCV.

TCV would be giving the festival exactly what they want, Shitloads of media coverage.

Seriously the ammount of TV stations, radio stations and mags bigging up TCV is unreal and for them to be exclusive headliners for R&L means the festivals will get huge coverage by the mainstreem media.

as much as I love blink, they could never dream of getting R&L the mainstreem attenetion it wants or TCV could bring.

Edited by Leeds_Brett

Kev1664 I complain because the festivals rarely pull anything from a band big enough who does not generally headline festivals. Bruce Springsteen headlining Glasto this year will be an example but instead r+l gets KOL, a band whos playing festivals whenever the moneys there. A band such as REM would be perfect I reckon, a band who has never played the fest before and are generally big enough with a large back catalogue. TCV are new so its hardly groundbreaking, they just haven't had a chance yet to play every fest they possibly can.

And leedsbrett why would they be getting a large amount of coverage? Theyd get the exact same amount as before, its hardly going to be 10 o'clock news stuff is it? The festivals announcement will go through the exact same channels as before and the only thing there might be will be shock because not everyone would have heard of the band.

I haven't even heard about this mass media coverage, I've seen them on Jonathan Ross and in a couple of mags thats it. And even with the media coverage they've had they still haven't done much with it in terms of album and single sales/airplay. Animal Collective have had a quite bit of coverage but they won't be anywhere near the top slots because they simply aren't big enough. You cant force the public to listen to and buy music and if they don't want take to them then they shouldn't be headlining the fest. The public will be going to the fest wanting to see a band that a large amount will listen/buy, not a band with a bit of a repuation because of their previous bands.

I've heard a few people saying Florence and the Machine might headline the nme stage. If that happens on the same night I reckon it would be embarassing. You'd have more people trying to ram into the nme stage and the surrounding area than on the main stage!!

I'll eat my fictional hat if they headline. On the strength of one album that couldn't reach the top 10, a tour where they played 02 academys and a surprise festival show that got some good reviews? surely that isn't enough to headline no matter who's in the band...

Whoever was on about media coverage, i couldnt get away from Bruce Springsteen last year. Everyone was his number one fan all of a sudden. Jay-z also got the most media coverage i can ever remember. There are acts out there who are big enough but arent obvious. TCV are an obvious choice to play, and not big enough to headline.

Right as soon as word got out about these their tour dates sold out immediatly, I think that if they would upgraded the tour to arenas they would sell it out no problem, I think if they announced an arena tour on sale Friday, say Manc, Birm, London & Glasgow, by the time the weekend is over it would have sold out, maybe even come the end of Friday. The demand is there

Also haven't they already written more material and said they want to bring out a second album in 2010?

Reading always takes a gamble on new headliners, The Strokes, The Darkness, they wanted Arctic Monkeys to headline.

But I can't see all three nights being headling by Blink 182, Green Day and TCV.

And as I've been saying for ages, I can't see Green Day playing. I just think V will have threw the moon on a stick at them in terms of money plus how commercial they are, I can just see them doing V. And Reading will want to have an indie headliner as well. Who that is though, im not sure.