The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

Set list from Johannesburg 1

Venue: FNB Stadium

Opening Act(s): Amadou & Mariam, Springbok Nude Girls

Main Set: Beautiful Day, I Will Follow, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until the End of the World, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, North Star, Pride, In A Little While, Miss Sarajevo, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy (remix), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore(s): One, Amazing Grace - Where the Streets Have No Name, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep

For tonight, at last

I am coming home..."

Yep - Bono made a right hames of the lyrics on the day though.

Support at that Slane show were the Chili's and a youthful (i.e. tolerable) Coldplay. Not the _worst_ day out ive ever had.

:)

I'll take Love is Blindness instead then, thanks.

I had a massive discussion at glastonbury a few years back about Love is Blindness (it was playing on someones radio) whilst me and this fellow were off our faces on allsorts.

We were discussing in great depth about how this song must be about the Omagh bombings - until someone camped nearby kindly informed us the Omagh bomb was about 10 years after the song had been written. I promptly f**ked off to bed

I was out of the country for the Slane shows and still really regret it particularly as I had tickets and somewhere to stay but decided to go abroad for a couple of weeks instead after the Earls Court shows! They were made all the more poignant after the death of his Dad. He's almost keening at the end of 'All I Want is You' into Streets but i'm pretty sure that was the show from 1st September. What the feck ever happened to JJ72 who supported them that day as well?

It wouldn't be a U2 show without Bono f**king up the lyrics at some point!

I wasnt at the 2nd show, which is the one they released on the DVD. What I would say is that the emotions expressed in that 2nd performance pale into insignificance really in comparison to the first show. The setlist geek in me views that first show also as a step up in quality. Always been a bit sceptical as to why the 2nd was released in the end. First Irish show after Bono's Dad passed on... highly emotional experience for me personally aswell.

It could have something to do with the Jason McAteer / Tricolour bit? Hmmm... maybe not. Normally U2 are spot on when it comes to the release of their tour shows. This one they messed up.

what do you lot think they will open with at glastonbury? It needs to be something instant. I know they have been opening with beautiful day but I'm not really feeling the love for that as an opener.

I was just listening to the red rocks album and have to say I reckon new years day would be my ideal opener (I know this wasnt the opener at red rocks).

Whaddayareckon?

what do you lot think they will open with at glastonbury? It needs to be something instant. I know they have been opening with beautiful day but I'm not really feeling the love for that as an opener.

I was just listening to the red rocks album and have to say I reckon new years day would be my ideal opener (I know this wasnt the opener at red rocks).

Whaddayareckon?

Edited by The Nal

When was the last time the band consistently moved away from "playing it safe"? Would love to know the last time they really wowed an audience. It is my biggest issue with the band - there always seems to be a safety net or at the very least a "script" to every show. The dependance of adding codas from other songs to the ends of their own tried and tested standards seems to be a U2 fan's best hope of spontanaeity these days.

Edited by The Nal

Whaddayareckon?

They will open with Beautiful Day. It's not the best and not what U2 fans would want but it's universal so it will be the likely opener.

I liked Elevation as an opener from the Elevation tour. Started with the full house lights on and then hit you with the full stage lights half way through.