corporate hospitality ? did they pay for it

Guest crashnburn

i was just wondering was a bit put out on the wednesday that i had to walk a long way round to get in round the newly errected hospitality area who was it for . how much did they pay did they get extortionally expensive beer to help the rest or was it free. do random celebs get in free which seem s a bit weird when they are richer than us and glastonbury didn't make as much profit last year and they get better campsites and it seems exclusive stages and bars . it sort of feels against the spirit of the event as they are not really a benefit to the evnt unless they are paying lots of money into glaston bury coffers which would be ok as it would keep prices a bit down for the rest. inever saw hospitality packages advertised ?

does any one know about this ?

sorry about the ramble but heres another one with an example of why its bad.

in 97 robbie williams hung around with oasis backstage at glaston bury and get himself a bit of credability (not from me id like to point out) williams plays the pyramid stage gets lauded?(think about this next time you go and watch a cheesy pop band and say they were great) and launches himself a pretty successfull solo career quite quickly music in the mainstream goes a bit shit (i know i was at university at this time only 3 bands played remotly locally) not a coincidence williams took the space normally given to guitar bands not from other pop bands. it took a while to recover sterophoniocs and travis were theonly bands you hear on main stream media i disapeared into obscure indie bands doomed never to see them live.

all down to the corporate hospitalilty at glastonbury

thank you eavis

i was just wondering was a bit put out on the wednesday that i had to walk a long way round to get in round the newly errected hospitality area who was it for . how much did they pay did they get extortionally expensive beer to help the rest or was it free. do random celebs get in free which seem s a bit weird when they are richer than us and glastonbury didn't make as much profit last year and they get better campsites and it seems exclusive stages and bars . it sort of feels against the spirit of the event as they are not really a benefit to the evnt unless they are paying lots of money into glaston bury coffers which would be ok as it would keep prices a bit down for the rest. inever saw hospitality packages advertised ?

does any one know about this ?

Edited by Troop Dogg

in 97 robbie williams hung around with oasis backstage at glaston bury and get himself a bit of credability (not from me id like to point out) williams plays the pyramid stage gets lauded?(think about this next time you go and watch a cheesy pop band and say they were great) and launches himself a pretty successfull solo career quite quickly music in the mainstream goes a bit shit (i know i was at university at this time only 3 bands played remotly locally) not a coincidence williams took the space normally given to guitar bands not from other pop bands. it took a while to recover sterophoniocs and travis were theonly bands you hear on main stream media i disapeared into obscure indie bands doomed never to see them live.

thank you eavis

The people who get access to the hospitality area varies, as does their cost of access.

There are working people - such as press - who require access. This access is given free, tho not necessarily with a free entrance-to-the-festival ticket. There's a limited number of free tickets for the likes of press, so some end up paying for a standard ticket and then being 'upgraded'. And some - like the eFestivals team - choose to pay, for the benefit of the good causes the festival supports.

Then there are the major-stage performers (in fact, likely to be just Pyramid/Other & JP Stage ones, tho possibly others) who get access, along with their accredited hangers-on and workers (roadies). These will get that access free.

Then there's the hoxton whores - record company types, etc. While as individuals they might not pay personally, I know from a friend who used to work at Warners that the record company pay for their tickets (or at least some of them - they might get some freebies) and at a premium compared to the standard punter ticket. I did get to hear of this year's price for these, tho can't 100% remember what it was - I think it was £250. The record company will decide who of their staff will get these free, who might pay some of the cost, and sometimes they get sold at full price to people outside of the record co if there's not enough take-up within the record co.

I remember listening to a radio 1 interview the other year with Jack Johnson. Now I ain't a fan

but because it was about Glasto I kept listening.

When asked about facilites etc , he said his g/f had not been given special help and was camping with

the masses !

:rolleyes:

thank you eavis

thank you eavis

I know it sounds a lot but when I worked in the BBC compound in 2005 you don't realise how much staff they do need. Obviously there will be some who bring a friend/wife/husband etc but considering you have crew for BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBCi, BBC Radio (National and Local), Internet team, Catering etc then it all adds up as it's a huge operation.

Thinking about this, would we get the big screen coverage at the Pyramid and Other stages if it wasn't for the BBC? Someones got to film it, and I would imagine the deal with the BBC is quite favourable for Glastonbury. I've read an interview with ME on here somewhere when he was saying they did a fantastic job.

Robbie Williams at the Pyramid in 98 was one of my all time Glasto highlights! :(

Nowt wrong with a bit of pop at Glasto and certainly nowt wrong with other acts that folks bemoan eg. look at all the whingings about the Dad Rock nature of the Pyramid offerings this year. This year just went to show that G's diversity is one of the most important parts TO the fest.

Ok...cant say I rushed to see Mystique or the Sugababes when they were on in whatever years...but old East 17 got a big enough crowd despite the delayed set this year AND without the original singer too! :) And I am sure you would have enjoyed Kylie had she been able to play in 05...cos the rest of us would have f**king loved it thats for sure!!!

Cant see where corporate hospitality has anything to do with this issue...and if the lad Robbie needed to do what he did back in 97 and partying with Oasis helped him on his life at the time...so fecking what! Ok...he aint so huge now but he was certainly riding the crest of a very lucrative and big wave while it lasted thanks to that fun he had with Oasis backstage that year!

Ok...cant say I rushed to see Mystique or the Sugababes when they were on in whatever years...but old East 17 got a big enough crowd despite the delayed set this year AND without the original singer too! :( And I am sure you would have enjoyed Kylie had she been able to play in 05...cos the rest of us would have f**king loved it thats for sure!!!

Sorry... a bit off topic, but, what happened with that? We got there to see them at 7.30 or whenever, then they were postponed till 10pm and we couldn't be faffed to go back. Did Brian Harvey not play?

We opted to go to Zane Lowe because The Streets, Mr Hudson and Jamie T were all appearing on his set and they were all artists I wanted to see who were on the losing end of clashes through the weekend.

If I'd known E17 weren't on til 10.00 I would've seen them too!

I was referring to Tony...kind of essential part to the group seeing as he sang most of the tunes yes?

I reckon they should just make people wear headcams and record the footage from that. It would be great. you'd probably get lots of wobbly shots of people making their way across endless fields of tents though, looking for their mates.

Or falling over.