World Cup clash 2010

Guest puppetmode

If a huge number of people are more interested in the football than the bands then should they choose to give Glastonbury a miss that year, Personally I have found the football when shown has produced an atmosphere in the crowd that I have felt very uncomfortable with, more in 2004 than in 1998. I do enjoy football but I feel it brings a nasty element to people or has the capacity to.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like there will be at least one England game during Glasto, and depending on the draw and England getting through the group stage there could well be two.

I don't agree.

In 2004 when England bombed out, there was no nastiness or violence. In fact, iirc, the crowd were in pretty good, albeit resigned, spirits.

Great atmosphere.

Ha Ha !

i love my footie

I watched the match in the Pyramid field with my mates , but due to certain things I was more interested in the colour of the sky or the shape of the clouds.

And within a few seconds of the end of the match , I was all smiles

"Can we go clubbing now ! "

:rolleyes:

I agree with llcoolphil, maninkilt and pinktequila - Glasto should be a football free zone !! Showing the rugby this year caused massive chaos at the meeting point with lots of security around stopping people going through.

Would have agreed with you prior to 2004 - but the atmosphere at the Pyramid was something unique in my festival going experience - imagine if England won.

The problems with showing the rugby are completely irrelevent - they had nothing to do with showing a sporting event and everything to do with showing it somewhere idiotically small for the crowd that would assemble. (Just as the Maximo park gig down there was a disaster waiting to happen).

Watching the england v portugal game at the pyramid in 04 was fantastic, such a good atmosphere. Obviously it was only there coz it was on a thursday evening so the pyramid hadnt started. Im a big football fan, and would love to watch some england games there, but only if the games didnt clash with any bands I wanted to see.

And, Chaz, I'll score against you next year too! :O

A wednesday game might be a problem. The pyramid isn't usually ready on wednesday for one, and there may be long traffic queues again. If glasto declare the game will be shown that could create even more traffic issues as people try to get on site in time for the game so GF might be obliged to declare no footy.

A wednesday game might be a problem. The pyramid isn't usually ready on wednesday for one, and there may be long traffic queues again. If glasto declare the game will be shown that could create even more traffic issues as people try to get on site in time for the game so GF might be obliged to declare no footy.

I think there's enough drama and hammy acting in football to consider it a valid contemporary performing art :(

I say put some footy on. I'm not really a footy fan but I'm all for inclusion. Saying something has no place at Glasto seems a little closed-off to me. Anyway, I reckon it would add to the atmosphere, not detract from it.

Anyway someone somewhere will set something up

Edited by Tiddles

I remember watching England play someone in the pouring rain in 1998 (I think)? The Lightning Seeds had just played the Pyramid Stage - finishing with guess what song?

Trying to roll a joint under a brolly and failing miserably.

Anyone help with who it was?

J

I remember watching England play someone in the pouring rain in 1998 (I think)? The Lightning Seeds had just played the Pyramid Stage - finishing with guess what song?

Trying to roll a joint under a brolly and failing miserably.

Anyone help with who it was?

J

Think it was Colombia but I could be wrong - was apparently chaotic with tents being trampled iirc.

I watched it in the dry in a little known boarded out tent (with it's own bar) in the greenfields called lost vagueness :(

Think it was Colombia but I could be wrong - was apparently chaotic with tents being trampled iirc.

I watched it in the dry in a little known boarded out tent (with it's own bar) in the greenfields called lost vagueness :(

I love the assumption made by many that you can't like music and be interested in the national team playing in a massive tournament. The atmosphere after we beat Columbia in '98 was incredible, despite the rain. James came on and got an awesome reception.

As far as comedy basics go my cousin's fiance slipping onto her arse on the stroke of "oh sit down" takes some beating.

When its rugby we get "I don't like toffs" and when its footie "I don't like hooligans", less of the predjudice please.

Got to be honest, it turns me off a lot. I loved football for years and years, pretty much from when I was born till I was about 30. I just got sick of the money floating around, the way the clubs treat you like a c**t from start to finish, the johnny come latelys kissing their shirts who'd never been interested in football until 3 lions came out, and most of all the behaviour of footballers. Do I want to cheer for team that's made up of a couple of rapists, few wifebeaters and other moral lowlifes?

Hardest thign I ever did was give up football, but if your bird treated you as badly as a football club does, you'd give her the elbow pronto.

It looks like there will be at least one England game during Glasto, and depending on the draw and England getting through the group stage there could well be two.

A game on the weds/thurs would be no problem, a repeat of 2004 when England-Portugal was on the Pyramid screens.

A game on the fri-sat-sun is obviously more of a problem, this did happen in 1998 when half of an England game was shown between bands. That year they also had a dedicated world cup screen in the old cinema field. The potential saturday or sunday 2nd round game would only be confirmed a few days before, and obviously would be more important than the group game. The Williams Green area would be nowhere near big enough for all those who would want to watch it, nor is the new location of the cinema screen.

I think the best solution would be the reinstatement of the old cinema field, with the return of the world cup screen.

I know there will be complaints that football should have no part of Glasto, perhaps you are right, but the fact is that rightly or wrongly a huge number of people attending will be more interested in the football than some of the bands.

Glasto and World Cup...... I have an idea, let me get back to you :(:D