World Cup clash 2010

Guest puppetmode

Im planning to go to Glastonbury next year but if Scotland did qualify i wouldnt be anywhere near the UK as u never know when scotland will reach another world cup or even major championship. Scotland sometimes manage to punch above our weight but we are under no illusions as to how good a football team we are. England on the other hand probably will reach the world cup, where all their fans will arrogantly expect nothing short of total victory win. I look forward to the stage at which England are disposed from the tournament. I hope its in a similar manner as when rooney was rightfully sent off. Hey if it was Ronaldo again, even better. I dont think football has a place at a festival but it a lot of fans would find it hard to miss out on if their team got to a Q/F, S/F or final.

That said, i have nothing against the English nation. My Dad is English and many of my friends are English, i just blood curdlingly hate the English attitude to Sport. Should never have won the world cup in 66 anyway, but lets not bring cheating into this!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im planning to go to Glastonbury next year but if Scotland did qualify i wouldnt be anywhere near the UK as u never know when scotland will reach another world cup or even major championship. Scotland sometimes manage to punch above our weight but we are under no illusions as to how good a football team we are. England on the other hand probably will reach the world cup, where all their fans will arrogantly expect nothing short of total victory win. I look forward to the stage at which England are disposed from the tournament. I hope its in a similar manner as when rooney was rightfully sent off. Hey if it was Ronaldo again, even better. I dont think football has a place at a festival but it a lot of fans would find it hard to miss out on if their team got to a Q/F, S/F or final.

That said, i have nothing against the English nation. My Dad is English and many of my friends are English, i just blood curdlingly hate the English attitude to Sport. Should never have won the world cup in 66 anyway, but lets not bring cheating into this!

Jealous Scot? Perhaps but not in anyway connected to England. I am jealous of countries such as Spain in sporting terms. There is no reason to be jealous of England whatsoever. Oh wait, i wouldnt mind having a yob reputation throughout the world!

[

"I look forward to the stage at which England are disposed from the tournament"

"i just blood curdlingly hate the English attitude to Sport."

"Oh wait, i wouldnt mind having a yob reputation throughout the world!"

"Dont see how my comments make you think i have a chip on my shoulder mate?"

Think these comments might have given the impression you did, maybe.

Edited by dr_billy

This is true. They would HAVE to show the England game at the Pyramid as the interest would be huge. The 2004 game was immense - there were more people watching at the Pyramid Stage than there were actually inside the stadium! When Owen scored early on the place ERUPTED.

Bastard referee - we'd have won that if he had a brain. :);)

im a huge football fan (as the username suggests) but if its shown at glasto i will definitely be having no part of it, i dont think the two mix. it'd be the same even if it was an everton match, i always give myself the summer off football and leave it for music and that includes not watching the world cups, or euros, so no reason to change this at glastonbury!

I hope Scotland are at the WC and they show a game. Obviously they could use a much smaller stage but there would definately be enough Scots and ancestry at Glasto to have a good ole atmosphere.

Obviously ideal scenario is that any England game does not clash with Fri / Sat / Sun as they would probably have to show on the Pyramid or Other stage given the numbers who would want to watch it.

I don't know if I would go and watch an England game, perhaps depends who they were playing and how important the game was but I could easilly get caught up in the atmosphere despite my Scottishness and being brought up to hate the English football team... as it seems some English do also.

I hope Scotland are at the WC and they show a game. Obviously they could use a much smaller stage but there would definately be enough Scots and ancestry at Glasto to have a good ole atmosphere.

Obviously ideal scenario is that any England game does not clash with Fri / Sat / Sun as they would probably have to show on the Pyramid or Other stage given the numbers who would want to watch it.

I don't know if I would go and watch an England game, perhaps depends who they were playing and how important the game was but I could easilly get caught up in the atmosphere despite my Scottishness and being brought up to hate the English football team... as it seems some English do also.

Hand of god on the radio in a tent in '86?

A different radio and tent for the convincing (cough) win against Egypt in '90?

Jumpers for goalposts, etc.

Thankfully the dark old days of NOT being able to watch have (hopefully) gone.

The almost instant recovery after the Portugal defeat by walking into a beer tent with hundreds of others feeling the same was far easier to cope with than thousands of people who didn't know the score ;)

Edit: I'm fairly sure the 1990 commentary stopped to report on the other game in the group (Republic of Ireland v Netherlands?) just in time to miss the goal! Could have just blacked out...

Edited by YetAnotherOldHippy

[

"I look forward to the stage at which England are disposed from the tournament"

"i just blood curdlingly hate the English attitude to Sport."

"Oh wait, i wouldnt mind having a yob reputation throughout the world!"

"Dont see how my comments make you think i have a chip on my shoulder mate?"

Think these comments might have given the impression you did, maybe.

To be honest if there is an England game on while Glasto is i think they will have to show it somewhere, simply because so many people will want to watch it. From a personal point of view if they decide not to then i will be leaving the site and finding a pub somewhere to watch it. Nothing would make me miss an England game and i feel i might not be the only one. could cause problems with traffic

hai puppetmode,

U.S. Men's National Team head coach Bob Bradley has named a roster of 20 players that will train in advance of the FIFA World Cup qualifier against Mexico that will take place Aug. 12 in Mexico City. The U.S. seeks its first-ever victory on Mexican soil, with kickoff set for 3 p.m. CT at Estadio Azteca, famed for its grueling combination of altitude, smog and more than 100,000 spectators. The match will be broadcast live on Telemundo, mun2, and the Futbol de Primera Radio Networks. Fans can follow live online via ussoccer.com’s newly upgraded MatchTracker and twitter.com/ussoccer.

Additionally, ESPN will provide unprecedented studio coverage, highlighted by a 30-minute SportsCenter 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Special from outside Estadio Azteca beginning at 2:30 p.m. CT. The special marks the first time in its 30-year history that ESPN will air a live pre-match show for a soccer event it is not televising.

bye,

------------------------------------

steven

If they repeat the big screens experiment near the Leftfield Tower, it'll be no good for the football. Even with just the Lions game on this year (which isn't the biggest Rugby attraction of the year), the place was very crowded, and jammed the paths from the Acoustic/Kids, Jazz World and Pyramid directions.

What's needed is an outdoor cinema field, how about that. But surely that'll never catch on and the space would be better [strikethrough]wasted[/strikethrough] used as corporate camping :rolleyes:

Personally, after a pre-Glasto week in Cape Town (not for the footy, but overlapping with it), I think I'll have had enough of it, thanks very much. Either that, or I'll just dig out the long forgotten / much thrown to the back of the wardrobe Welsh shirt and plead ignorance of the whole thing. :rolleyes: