World Cup clash 2010

Guest puppetmode

Does anyone think that the Football World Cup being on between 11th June and 11th July 2010 will have any bearing on ticket sales. At least ease the rush for them.

The end of the group stages and the last 16's are whilst Glastonbury are on. I guess its down to whether anyone thinks England will do well enough to get into the semis. I'm sure Glastonbury would put England matches up during the festival like the Lions Tour this year. (Im saying England as it doesn't look like any other home nation will get through, remotely maybe Scotland)

I know a couple of friends who might put the World Cup before Glastonbury, but having said that, that would be on a normal Glastonbury, not the 40th anniversary.

Guess Ive answered this myself then

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll show England's game.

Done a bit of research here and it's very likely that an England game will be shown between the Wednesday to Sunday. If it's a group game, it'll be on the Wednesday or Thursday, in which case they'll almost certainly do what they did for the Euro 2004 1/4 final v Portugal - that was an unreal atmosphere!!

That's the base case scenario IMHO, because I can see problems occuring if England play on the Fr/Sat/Sun during performances.

Someone said James refused to play in 1998 during the England v Columbia match so the schedules were shifted so people could still watch it.

They'll show England's game.

Done a bit of research here and it's very likely that an England game will be shown between the Wednesday to Sunday. If it's a group game, it'll be on the Wednesday or Thursday, in which case they'll almost certainly do what they did for the Euro 2004 1/4 final v Portugal - that was an unreal atmosphere!!

That's the base case scenario IMHO, because I can see problems occuring if England play on the Fr/Sat/Sun during performances.

Someone said James refused to play in 1998 during the England v Columbia match so the schedules were shifted so people could still watch it.

It looks like there will be at least one England game during Glasto, and depending on the draw and England getting through the group stage there could well be two.

A game on the weds/thurs would be no problem, a repeat of 2004 when England-Portugal was on the Pyramid screens.

A game on the fri-sat-sun is obviously more of a problem, this did happen in 1998 when half of an England game was shown between bands. That year they also had a dedicated world cup screen in the old cinema field. The potential saturday or sunday 2nd round game would only be confirmed a few days before, and obviously would be more important than the group game. The Williams Green area would be nowhere near big enough for all those who would want to watch it, nor is the new location of the cinema screen.

I think the best solution would be the reinstatement of the old cinema field, with the return of the world cup screen.

I know there will be complaints that football should have no part of Glasto, perhaps you are right, but the fact is that rightly or wrongly a huge number of people attending will be more interested in the football than some of the bands.

I know that a lot of people can't stand football but for the maximum of 4 hours then its worth the excitement, added interest to an already brilliant weekend and what would be a fantastic atmosphere. after all there was a world cup in Glastonbury this year.

I meant earlier that some people just love football and watch every game on tv rather than going to South Africa. Can't see it being better than Glasters 40th anniversary myself but if it means less clammer for a ticket the better

It looks like there will be at least one England game during Glasto, and depending on the draw and England getting through the group stage there could well be two.

A game on the weds/thurs would be no problem, a repeat of 2004 when England-Portugal was on the Pyramid screens.

A game on the fri-sat-sun is obviously more of a problem, this did happen in 1998 when half of an England game was shown between bands. That year they also had a dedicated world cup screen in the old cinema field. The potential saturday or sunday 2nd round game would only be confirmed a few days before, and obviously would be more important than the group game. The Williams Green area would be nowhere near big enough for all those who would want to watch it, nor is the new location of the cinema screen.

I think the best solution would be the reinstatement of the old cinema field, with the return of the world cup screen.

I know there will be complaints that football should have no part of Glasto, perhaps you are right, but the fact is that rightly or wrongly a huge number of people attending will be more interested in the football than some of the bands.

If a huge number of people are more interested in the football than the bands then should they choose to give Glastonbury a miss that year, Personally I have found the football when shown has produced an atmosphere in the crowd that I have felt very uncomfortable with, more in 2004 than in 1998. I do enjoy football but I feel it brings a nasty element to people or has the capacity to.

I think it would be brilliant if they showed some of the footie, I think there would be an electric atmosphere and couldn't think of a better way to watch England at the world cup than Glasto:P. I didn't think of this when deciding that 2010 would be my first glasto, but since I doubt England will win, scores will probs get anounced and some of the match at least is likely to be shown Glasto wins, and I think alot of people wouldn't mind missing a few games for glasto so tickets, I doubt will ease.