Boycott 2010 is something isn't done!

Guest kyjenni

I can't see a boycott working, but once people start sticking their heads over the parapet and and admitting that they didn't enjoy it as much as they are "supposed" to then there is a danger of the bubble bursting. What is trendy (which is what going to Glastonbury has become, something just to tick off the list of thing one's "supposed to do" for many judging by conversations overheard) can become decidedly un-trendy very quickly.

While generally agreeing with you (though I can't for life of me see how sacking volunteer litter pickers can benefit anyone financially) I don't think the festival is fixable so longs as the only question asked by punters is "who is headlining?". Glastonbury used to be about so much more than that.

Doubtless there is so much money invested in hardware (stages, the fence, etc etc) that the direction of the festival has had to become completely commercially oriented to meet existing debt. Just like a 3rd World country in fact.

I won't be joining any boycott I'm afraid, but I have pencilled in somewhere else for next year. Only two stages, no expensive headliners and beer from a really good local brewery cheaper than the local pubs.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I would not boycott the festival. I would be interested to hear what other site workers and the organisers themselves have to say to gain a balanced view. With something as aspirational and emotionally important as Glastonbury there will be no shortage of punters happy to take your place. Shouting, snap decisions and one sided arguments will only turn people off.

Consider your arguments, gather opinions and form a plan (this forum is a good place to start, there are some smart cookies on here) and gain some rational support. The festival is aimed mostly at a certain well healed child owning demographic these days (though not exclusively) and shouty hysteria will get you nowhere fast.

Get some evidence, talk to the officials and come back. If what you say is correct then yes you have an argument that I would consider backing. At the end of the day though it's all down to logistics. This country is ill equipped to deal with recycling on several fronts, not least of which being the will of the people. However Glastonbury portrays itself as a largely green festival and as such its credentials should be exemplary. The first place to start would be the inclusion of the fine guide for next year and more urgency on the pick up after yourself front, 'Love the Farm, Leave no Trace' is a catchy tag line but not much else.

One more thing and I'm done- Part of the problem with this issue is that many of the volunteers are there for a free festival - and not much more. (and yes I know people who have worked there for years in qualification of that statement)

Good luck

grandadcollective.

This is a whole other debate but I get the impression your views on drug dealing are from the Daily Mail. Either that or you're getting a young student selling pills at a festival mixed up with a heroin wholesaler from the inner cities.

And i'd say there's no way a 'huge minority' at Glastonbury want drugs. Must be at least 30-40%.

I won't be joining any boycott I'm afraid, but I have pencilled in somewhere else for next year. Only two stages, no expensive headliners and beer from a really good local brewery cheaper than the local pubs.

When did I ever suggest that was the festivals fault? I dont plan on boycotting, I plan on continuing acting the way I always do at festivals, it would be nice if others did the same, its the human element I am not happy with and their total disregard for other peoples property. This extends much much further than a litter problem, and I wont sit back and think "Oh well there isn't anything I can do about it", when I can!

The title of this thread isn't good but the intention is, there is no need for anyone to get nasty and this extends to all of you before you jump on me Neil.

:(:lol::):D

How the f**k have I got "nasty". I've commented on your comments. If you're allowed your comments I'm similarly allowed to comment on your comments.

Yes, I'm not happy with some of the human element at Glastonbury. Then again, I'm far less happy with the human element outside of Glastonbury. Short of shooting all the w*nkers what can be done? ;);)

Glastonbury says VERY clearly how they'd like their customers to act in regard to litter and the like - LEAVE NO TRACE. Short of each punter having a security person standing over them with a big stick, there's little more that the festival can do.

If you want to get involved to perhaps (and it is only a 'perhaps') change things for the better then the only way to do so will be for you to personally intervene each time you see someone doing something outside of the 'leave no trace' rule, to try and convince people to abide by it. Just don't go posting your disappointment about the numbers of times you'll fail with this. ;)

some good points from Neil there, it's interesting, but it's people who expect pople to behave perfectly at Glastonbury who get disappointed with some of the stuff, but if you accept that people behave badly/normally and then focus on the fact that some people do things better at Glastonbury which is in itself pretty surprising, you won't be nearly as disappointed

As for lots of the other stuff well it ain't nothing new, if you think people in the 70s and 80s were making a loss on their drugs, and that artists played for nothing, well take those rose tinted glasses off. It weren't like that, I'm sure.

:(:lol::):D

How the f**k have I got "nasty". I've commented on your comments. If you're allowed your comments I'm similarly allowed to comment on your comments.

Yes, I'm not happy with some of the human element at Glastonbury. Then again, I'm far less happy with the human element outside of Glastonbury. Short of shooting all the w*nkers what can be done? ;);)

Glastonbury says VERY clearly how they'd like their customers to act in regard to litter and the like - LEAVE NO TRACE. Short of each punter having a security person standing over them with a big stick, there's little more that the festival can do.

If you want to get involved to perhaps (and it is only a 'perhaps') change things for the better then the only way to do so will be for you to personally intervene each time you see someone doing something outside of the 'leave no trace' rule, to try and convince people to abide by it. Just don't go posting your disappointment about the numbers of times you'll fail with this. ;)

it's people who expect pople to behave perfectly at Glastonbury who get disappointed with some of the stuff, but if you accept that people behave badly/normally and then focus on the fact that some people do things better at Glastonbury which is in itself pretty surprising, you won't be nearly as disappointed

Spot on!!!

Glastonbury continues to be a far better place than the world it sits within. From my 20+ years of attending the festival it manages to keep around the same distance ahead of the world around it.

Do I expect it to be perfect? Nope.

As for lots of the other stuff well it ain't nothing new, if you think people in the 70s and 80s were making a loss on their drugs, and that artists played for nothing, well take those rose tinted glasses off. It weren't like that, I'm sure.

You're right to be sure.

In the past there were very many more 'staff' ripping off both the festival (mostly by not doing the role they were supposed to be doing) and the punters. It's better now than it's ever been.

The amount of litter has been much greater in the past than it is now (the late 90s were the worst).

The toilets are hugely cleaner than they ever have been, and there's few festivals that have them cleaner overall for the duration.

The security are FAR better behaved than they've been in the past (while still not being perfect, but they'll never be perfect).

The only thing that's deteriorated recently that I've seen is the amount of camping stuff that gets left behind. The festival has a little responsibility for this, via the poorly worded "you can leave your stuff behind and we'll get it to a good cause" they put out a few years ago without making clear that the stuff had to be packed up .... but the main reason for this is people's laziness and the throwaway society in which we live.

The above doesn't apply to everyone and this isn't a difinitive list of the issues, but these are just some areas that are seriously lacking at Glastonbury Festival. My favourite place in the world got seriously tainted this year. If things don't change I won't be attending next year and that would be a huge shame.

deleted

Edited by Fairies for Change

This thread reminds me of a guy called 'Spoons' i met at Strummercamp. He is an oldish guy probably in his 50's who is a long time festival goer and pays his way through the summer busking spoons playing and litter picking - a great guy - tho we did get into a heated debate about how Glastonbury had lost its soul, Micheal would not talk to him anymore and that the festival pays really bad wages to all the staff/technical people and generally treat even volunteers badly. There were quite a few of the tech guys that agreed with him. I defended the fest to the hilt. Spoons said he would never come back.

So walking through the fest on Thursday night up on the main drag i think just before Jazz...who do i see at the side of the path, but Spoons, playing his spoons with gusto. We greeted eachother and i asked - i thought you were not coming back - 'needs must' he replied. Hmmm 500 people at Strummercamp - nearly 200, 000 at Glasto - much better pickings fora busker. and a litter picker maybe?

Also I don't think tents have ever been cheaper. Folding chairs too - especially them.

So in the past you might have been leaving £100 worth of kit behind - few would do that.

Now you're tired from partying, you've got a longish walk and possibly a bus/train journey, and by abandoning £25 worth of stuff (a drop in the ocean after what you've spent over the weekend) you can be carrying significantly less weight. Unfortunately many people see it that way.