Glastonbury to start Tuesday in 2010?

Guest UEF

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20090625_...buryEavis.shtml

Elsewhere at Glastonbury the weather (on Friday lunchtime) is hot and sunny and thousands of punters have already arrived at the site. Michael said people are arriving earlier every year:

"60 000 people came yesterday by 6 o clock last night which is 40,000 more than a normal Wednesday night. "

This means the festival might start a day early as he explained:

"People are coming earlier so next year we’ll have to start on Tuesday and people will get an extra day for nothing. The problems with the traffic around Somerset were horrendous this year so we do need to start earlier to even it out a bit. And that means there will have to be a bit more entertainment."

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Q&A session and a lady explained she and her family travelled down by train - as is the glastonbury spirit - but they had to queue for a long time* to get onto a bus, and she asked Eavis what could be done. He said it was a lot to do with the buses not being able to get through due to the cars (although it seemed clear to me, just a lack of buses) so HE said

"would you like to come down on Tuesday next year then" and we all cheered :lol:

I'm thinking open the site on Tuesday for public transport ONLY - it will free the roads for buses and coaches and is an insentive to not drive in cars, rather than a penalty to car drivers by saying they can't come til Thurs etc

*I drove past Castle Cary station around 1pm on Weds and it looked like it was heaving

sounds good and all, but it would cost more for people attending, food and drink, whether you bring your own or buy there

plus it could make getting the time off harder for some people, if like me you like to book a few days off either side of the festival especially

Tuesday opening would be awesome. In that article ME talks of having to offer more entertainment if they do open a day earlier, I don't know why though, I'm quite happy to camp and make our own entertainment. Wouldn't even be opposed to having to bring own food or alcohol for the early start, if need be.

E2A: Not sure about the public transport only thing for Tuesday though, probably wouldn't bother then, and if it meant missing our camping spots, might have to consider whether to bother at all.

Edited by r0cky

I went to the Q&A session and a lady explained she and her family travelled down by train - as is the glastonbury spirit - but they had to queue for a long time* to get onto a bus, and she asked Eavis what could be done. He said it was a lot to do with the buses not being able to get through due to the cars (although it seemed clear to me, just a lack of buses) so HE said

"would you like to come down on Tuesday next year then" and we all cheered :lol:

I'm thinking open the site on Tuesday for public transport ONLY - it will free the roads for buses and coaches and is an insentive to not drive in cars, rather than a penalty to car drivers by saying they can't come til Thurs etc

*I drove past Castle Cary station around 1pm on Weds and it looked like it was heaving

As a car driver living in Bristol, I have to admit that if they said public transport only on the Tuesday/Wednesday and no car parks open until Thursday then I would think twice about coming by car.

As it stands, £10 to park, even with the traffic issues, it is hardly going to deter people. They should increase the car parking prices. £50 standard or maybe £75 to park Tuesday, £50 on Wednesday and £25 on Thursday onwards. Or have a surcharge if cars only have 1/2 (3?) people in them.

With Castle Cary bursting at the seams already we need to look at finding some out of town, reasonably local, easily accessible stations where people can be bussed from (providing they have arrived there by train!).

Or a lower limit on the amount of car park spaces for sale, first come first served. That would also free up space for the camping overspill which is getting worse year on year.

Possibly all an administrative nightmare but things that have to be considered. Especially if we want Radiohead to play!!

As a car driver living in Bristol, I have to admit that if they said public transport only on the Tuesday/Wednesday and no car parks open until Thursday then I would think twice about coming by car.

As it stands, £10 to park, even with the traffic issues, it is hardly going to deter people. They should increase the car parking prices. £50 standard or maybe £75 to park Tuesday, £50 on Wednesday and £25 on Thursday onwards. Or have a surcharge if cars only have 1/2 (3?) people in them.

With Castle Cary bursting at the seams already we need to look at finding some out of town, reasonably local, easily accessible stations where people can be bussed from (providing they have arrived there by train!).

Or a lower limit on the amount of car park spaces for sale, first come first served. That would also free up space for the camping overspill which is getting worse year on year.

Possibly all an administrative nightmare but things that have to be considered. Especially if we want Radiohead to play!!

What about an 'early entry' system like a few of the other festivals apply (TITP, Leeds, etc)? It would give people the opportunity to choose whether to go down on the Tues, Wed or Thurs? Just charge extra few £££ on top of the actual ticket for anyone wanting to head to the site on Tues. Means the organisers can also monitor the numbers of people travelling onto the site.

I don't think it should be public transport only on Weds, just Tuesday. If people drive and arrive on Weds thats no different to any other year, but if it means people who can take public transport but choose not to change their minds to go early then I think its a good thing. I am fairly hypocritical in that I drove from London but if I could go on Tues on a bus or train I would.

I wouldn't want to penalise anyone who really has to drive but I think there should be more encouragement to get buses and coaches and trains.

Realistically how many people do you think would go on Tuesday if this was the case?