Increase in scum this year

Guest ministe2003

I would like to say thanks to the lady in the flashing policemans hats and her scummy mates during Bruce Springsteen.

Thanks for talking all the way through his set, ruining it for me and the people around.

Thanks for shouting 'BORN IN THE USA', during every song.

Thanks for barging your way right at the last minute and cramming yourself in front of us.

Gratefully you left before his encore, and then I could enjoy it!

Selfish B1tch

Apart from her, great festival :P

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way less rubbish bin emptying this year than normally seen (presumably due to the higher crowd sizes so they decided they couldn't get the bin collection tractors through?) leading to massive piles of rubbish around all the bins which makes a lot of people think it's OK to just dump their rubbish where they are standing anyway.

huge numbers of giant tents probably all with just one or two people in them

idiots that had put the tents up stringing their guy ropes out for miles when on a relatively wind free farm like Glastonbury you're better just putting them 6-9 inches away from your tent

people pitching tents in stupid places like clear pathways when there was actually space if you bothered to look for it

the millions of muppets with chairs, was seriously unimpressed at Rolf Harris when they were closing the field but there were all these flumps sat on their chairs in the middle of it

plonks that don't look where they're going and just launch into the crowd at the stages knocking over your valuable and expensive beer

but I think I was mostly annoyed this year by the "pretty boys" taking ten minutes washing their hair or trying to take a shower at the limited tap facilities when people just wanted to chuck their toilet hands under the taps for a five second rinse. that was the one time my rage boiled over when there was a massive queue for the sinks at one toilet set because of these plonks washing their hair. I waited a few minutes but then lost it and marched past the queue and told these scum to back out of the way a bit and let people share.

The chairs were a nightmare, particually during Rolf Harris where there was a barrier of tents stopping thousands of people moving towards the Jazz World Stage. The marshalls at the tents simply told 'the sitters' to take their chairs outside and they did. Simple.

It was funny to watch a moody girl move her chair everytime someone stood up during Blur. We were half way up the hill overlooking the 3 screens, everytime somone new appeared to watch Blue she had to pick up her chair and move 6' along the hill. A game she was never going to win.

If you want to sit in your f**king chair, save yourself £175 and stay at home.

way less rubbish bin emptying this year than normally seen (presumably due to the higher crowd sizes so they decided they couldn't get the bin collection tractors through?) leading to massive piles of rubbish around all the bins which makes a lot of people think it's OK to just dump their rubbish where they are standing anyway.

huge numbers of giant tents probably all with just one or two people in them

idiots that had put the tents up stringing their guy ropes out for miles when on a relatively wind free farm like Glastonbury you're better just putting them 6-9 inches away from your tent

people pitching tents in stupid places like clear pathways when there was actually space if you bothered to look for it

the millions of muppets with chairs, was seriously unimpressed at Rolf Harris when they were closing the field but there were all these flumps sat on their chairs in the middle of it

plonks that don't look where they're going and just launch into the crowd at the stages knocking over your valuable and expensive beer

but I think I was mostly annoyed this year by the "pretty boys" taking ten minutes washing their hair or trying to take a shower at the limited tap facilities when people just wanted to chuck their toilet hands under the taps for a five second rinse. that was the one time my rage boiled over when there was a massive queue for the sinks at one toilet set because of these plonks washing their hair. I waited a few minutes but then lost it and marched past the queue and told these scum to back out of the way a bit and let people share.

I agree with all of your points. We ended up camping off site in a newly opened field because there was no space anywhere Friday morning. The amount of gazebos and taped off areas was really annoying, especially as we had to walk miles there and back. Maybe they should ask people who want to have large group pitches to camp in the further away fields. Then again, that kind of spoils things for them.

A personal moan is that people kept having a go at me because I was getting upset, having just last my mum. Having some total pissed up skinhead telling me to "cheer up you miserable sod" isn't what I expect from Glasto. It happened a few times too.

Saying that, we had a fantastic time, especially getting my Mum Tattoo in the Park field :P

This year was my 4th Glasto since 2003 - I'm not sure why but the atmosphere and spirit has never matched 2003. Perhaps I was oblivious to any annoying activity then or just indicative of a larger crowd. People were certainly friendlier then.

Big annoyances this year included: a (seemingly used..) condom being left outside a tent on the ground, some of our neighbours taping off their tents before later adding more tape between theirs and one of ours, selfish idiots intent on pushing their way out in the car park queue this morning - and not letting others out when clearly it would make no difference whatsoever.

I agree with most of your points. I didn't notice too much extra crowding this year (though maybe I'm just not very observant!).

The litter thing is really annoying - I agree people shouldn't dump their rubbish on the floor, but a deposit system would immediately eliminate the problem of beer cups. Genius as he is, I don't buy ME's "too complicated" line; it works really well at Reading.

Far too many big tents for sure, taping off is just rude and antisocial ... but I do wonder sometimes if people don't look hard enough for spaces. We were in Park Home and there was a space big enough for a 3-4 person tent right in front of us. I was sure someone was going to nab it at some point, but bizarrely it stayed clear all weekend.

Chairs ... dammit people, you don't need them. Seriously, you don't. I had real issues with then at the start of Springsteen's set. And I'm absolutely astounded people had them in front of the 'D' crush barrier. Seriously?!

Anyway, awesome festival on the whole I thought, none of these things put much of a dent in my enjoyment of it.

Huge amount of scum at kasbian, sadly.

We went into the pit straight after their set for Bruce, at were greeted by at least 4 different groups of teenagers pissing into bottles and throwing it.

Nice. Put a dampener (no pun intended) on an otherwise perfect week.

I noticed a group of lads last night at the other stage after the prodigy and they were gathering up all the plastic and little and set fire to it all along with a discarded camping chair. They then threw a few more highly flamable things on top and just walked away from it and started another further up the field.

The hospitality camping area was my biggest annoyance from wicket ground we used to have a few routes out cutting across the cinema to jp and the dances tents, or along the path to pyramid, but we had to slap all the way round the massive fence. why couldn't they be put it outside if the celebs want privacy

Seems that everyone was thinking the same as me!

Got there at 9.30am on Thurs and there was hardly any camping space left. They really need to do something about that for next year - either more camping space, less people, or rules about massive tents and gazebos. Don't get me wrong, if you do have that kinda stuff and a big group it's fine, but each year there seems to be more and more 6+ man tents and gazebos, I guess mainly because that kind of thing is far more affordable these days than they would have been 5 or more years ago. Same goes for chairs - when they're selling them everywhere for less than a tenner it's no surprise so many people have them, just unfortunate that everyone is so selfish in taking up so much crowd space.

Anyway, nothing dampened the spirits too much, had a fantastic weekend. My biggest problem was sore feet & blisters from wearing wellies for 3 days (especially when the mud dried and the ground became rock hard!), which I can't blame on anyone!!

Plenty of camping space around Pedestrian Gate D all weekend. Sure, it's a fair way out and you might struggle to be able to camp right together if you have more than one tent, but certainly space.

The Acoustic Tent had the best compromise regarding chairs: a designated area for them (basically the back quarter of the tent). Not much acoustic music on there though. That was odd.

but I think I was mostly annoyed this year by the "pretty boys" taking ten minutes washing their hair or trying to take a shower at the limited tap facilities when people just wanted to chuck their toilet hands under the taps for a five second rinse.

It definitely seemed much more crowded to me this year. Obviously there was the camping space issue with people coming into the site earlier, but there also seemed to be a lot more people about generally. I found myself caught up in a lot more crowds and crushes than usual.

Didn't really notice more rubbish than usual or more taping off of camps, but maybe that's just me.

The flags i really do agree with - it's getting silly now. There were SOOO many - especially during Bruce. The cameramen were having a hard time getting a clear shot of him.

Camping chairs/blankets - i understand why people use them, especially in the mud. We had a picnic blanket ourselves this year. But they need to be used sensibly, towards the backs of the fields rather than close to the front.

Plenty of camping space around Pedestrian Gate D all weekend. Sure, it's a fair way out and you might struggle to be able to camp right together if you have more than one tent, but certainly space.

The Acoustic Tent had the best compromise regarding chairs: a designated area for them (basically the back quarter of the tent). Not much acoustic music on there though. That was odd.

Really glad this thread has been up and running as was going to make nearly all the same points myself.

We camped in Park Home Ground and a group next to us were the most vile people you could want next to you at a festival. They littered everything they used including half eaten pot noodles and glass bottles. They pissed in the hedges behind our tents. They came back to the tents at around 4.30am and proceeded to shriek uncontrollably at each other, presumably thinking they were being funny or more likely because they were out of their heads on something far stronger than a bit of weed (we saw them popping what looked like E's). The thing was they never seemed to be away from the tents except from about 2am to 4.30am, any other time we came back they were there.

The litter is depressing, but I fear that unless they put a bin every five yards including in front of the stages you are going to have a problem.

After Blur we wandered around the Pyramid area and saw endless abandoned chairs, presumably the ones that were on sale at "£5 each, two for £8". Perhaps ME and EE should tell their traders that such cheap tat is not permitted for sale as it only encourages people to leave them behind. If they had to bring them with them and carry them around each day instead of buying each day on their way into the arena, it might deter a few.

People leaving their tents behind is also a sad and depressing state of affairs. Again not sure what we can do about this.

Does the tagline "love the farm, leave no trace, zero waste" need to be more prominently highlighted?

But overall we all loved our five days! This is not a rant, just things that could be improved to make the festival even better!