Increase in scum this year

Guest ministe2003

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with most of what the OP said (apart from the flags... I'm ambivalent about them). It seems that some people in some areas of the site are becoming more... selfish, maybe? Corporate, perhaps.

The litter this year was utterly disgusting, but not as bad as the last couple of years I suppose. Seeing people drop litter when they are just metres from a bin is horrible. Pissing in places other than the toilets seemed to be happening a bit less this year though. Still shouldn't happen at all, but maybe people are getting the message at last?

Taping off was much worse this year, and tents seem to get bigger and bigger - people next to us had three of them in a great nine-man behemoth. Some groups on the Big Ground seemed to have used duct tape so it wouldn't snap when people walked through it. I actually had to cut through some tape to get past with all my kit.

The thing I saw most of that annoyed me was glass bottles. Evidently they'd been smuggled in, but it seems the people who brought them in couldn't be bothered to recycle them, and so they were left on the floor to break and potentially injure someone badly.

my first glastonbury and i loved every minute although the chair thing did get a tad annoying...but then at times when i wanted to sit down and could find a odd bit of the daily glasto to park my backside on!

i was in the hospitality camping though, which i was glad of when i kept hearing reports of tents being opened!

all in all it was AMAZING!!!

Haha, I'm loving the people who are getting hot and flustered at some of the tinyest little things, my particular favourite is the comment stating guide ropes should be no more than 6-9 inchs away from the tent ( :(:D:) ) and someone who thought it was extraordinary that a girl took hair straigteners with her. It reminds me of the sweet old racist lady who writes into our local paper complaining that there are to many arabs and that national service should be introduced.

I just keep picturing you standing in a crowd thinking. "Grrrrr! I can't wait till this damn festival is over and I can tell the internet about things I don't like" :)

You guys have a great day! ;)

This was my first Glasto, and agree with the whole taping off issue, it's disgusting behavior. I was on Hitchin Hill camped near a group of the chavviest people you could ever meet and kept trying to offer us coke all weekend. Plus the had a huge gazebo the refused to move! I can understand if you pitched your tents under the gazebo, and had a small communal space in the middle, but not they way these guys did it, could have fitted at least 4 more tents in "their" space.

More direction signs

Better access to car parks

Pissing Steward Patrols....Stop the ignorant TW*TS pissing anyplace while young children about, never mind the hygene problem

Excessive prices from ice-cream vans..£2.00 for a small bottle of water??? Come on !!!

Sort the Flag situation out, and stop selling them and poles on site.

Some sort of taxi service to and from your car... I would have willingly paid £15 to get my stuff back to West 35 car park

Haha, I'm loving the people who are getting hot and flustered at some of the tinyest little things, my particular favourite is the comment stating guide ropes should be no more than 6-9 inchs away from the tent ( :D:(:D ) and someone who thought it was extraordinary that a girl took hair straigteners with her. It reminds me of the sweet old racist lady who writes into our local paper complaining that there are to many arabs and that national service should be introduced.

I just keep picturing you standing in a crowd thinking. "Grrrrr! I can't wait till this damn festival is over and I can tell the internet about things I don't like" :)

You guys have a great day! :)

Regarding the pissing against fences, i did see a funny moment up in the park saturday night. A guy was pissing up a fence right next to the bbc introducing stage as he was pissing 3 stewards came out of the tent and rather than asking him to stop one of them just pushed him in the back so he pissed all overhimself. BRILLIANT serves him right for being to lazy to walk to a urinal.

rant mode on.

I noticed a massive increase in c***s this year at the festival, selfish people who look out for number one, costing the festival it's spirit and risking it's license.

1) flags this year, ..........

2) Litter. ...............

3) Pissing in the streams /.................

4) tapped of tents.................

5) Stools, seats and picnic mats. .........................

Now I know..............................

rant mode off.

When I was listening to nick cave behind the disabled viewing platform, there was a bloke got his cock out and starting pissing everywhere like a firehose, another bloke was puking up in his hands, I started to wonder if I'd ended up at Leeds by mistake!

The Pyramid generally annoyed me this year with people pushing and shoving constantly.

Food and drink prices seemed to have rocketed? £4 for a hot and spicy cider? £3.50 for a bacon roll? Maybe the prices were that high last year and I was too drunk to notice :( but I seem to remember bacon rolls £2 and under?

I don't like that taping off areas, doesn't worry me though.

Someone tried to grab my tent off me on the way in and ran away with it. On the way back, someone on the shuttle bus nicked it! Hopefully accidental, but who knows?

Overall though, in the no doubt words of Michael Eavis at some point, for me it was the best one yet!

The flags were to much, leave them at your tent.

I'm sure this was probably the original intention of the flag.

The I love sausage man? I hope somebody was paying you to carry that around because you must have been given some grief!

I felt the tickets were over sold. The site was a lot more rammed than last year, predominately a younger crowd.

This is also probably the reason people experienced more yobbish behavior, teenagers and alcohol/drugs have never been pretty.

I really hope ME & EE don't oversell tickets again next year, it doesn't make anyones festival fun having to shuffle to a stage and realize its so packed you have to shuffle back!

I don't have a problem with the smaller tripod seats, maybe the fest could be limited to selling those?

The screens between sets should be used to make people aware of acting responsibly.

ie. Please don't bring your flag down the front, please don't piss on the fences....

Regarding the litter, as a foreigner to these shores, it seems to me that litter dropping is ingrained in the British! I see it every day from all walks of life so it is no surprise to me seeing it at Glasto. It honestly was a real shock to me when I moved to London from New Zealand some 5 years ago (this could be move prevalent in London).

Haha, I'm loving the people who are getting hot and flustered at some of the tinyest little things, my particular favourite is the comment stating guide ropes should be no more than 6-9 inchs away from the tent ( ;):(:D ) and someone who thought it was extraordinary that a girl took hair straigteners with her. It reminds me of the sweet old racist lady who writes into our local paper complaining that there are to many arabs and that national service should be introduced.

You guys have a great day! :)

Regarding the pissing against fences, i did see a funny moment up in the park saturday night. A guy was pissing up a fence right next to the bbc introducing stage as he was pissing 3 stewards came out of the tent and rather than asking him to stop one of them just pushed him in the back so he pissed all overhimself. BRILLIANT serves him right for being to lazy to walk to a urinal.

Wow! Looks like the righteous middle class festival goers returned in force this year!

Talk of chavs, people making a noise at night, a taxi services to the car parks wanted, coked up scum, 3 blokes out of a whole audience ruining it for the rest, not enough camping space for you when you decided to show up, people having fires, etc. etc. etc.

WELCOME TO GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL! A massive party on a farm in a rural area, where people come for fun.

Can't stand the noise, get ear plugs.

Bloke in the crowd pissing you off, move - the likelihood is that all your tutting is pissing him off too!

Don't like scum, stick to Glyndebourne.

Edited by Busterrr!

Wow! Looks like the righteous middle class festival goers returned in force this year!

Talk of chavs, people making a noise at night, a taxi services to the car parks wanted, coked up scum, 3 blokes out of a whole audience ruining it for the rest, not enough camping space for you when you decided to show up, people having fires, etc. etc. etc.

WELCOME TO GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL! A massive party on a farm in a rural area, where people come for fun.

Bloke in the crowd pissing you off, move - the likelihood is that all your tutting is pissing him off too!

On sunday at Madness, a gobby drunk bloke behind me started pissing in a cup. Fair enough I thought, as long as he dispose of it after. Thankfully I had caught sight of it, becuase he then preceeded to throw it all over my girlfriends flipped-flopped foot.

I advised to him gtfo out of my face within three secs, and his less pissed mate saw sense and removed him. With all been pissed and stupid, but throwing piss at someone else?????

I definately noticed lots of younger people this year, and not just 18-25. Lots of I presume 14-18 y.o.'s. Can't say i saw that as much of a problem. Indeed on the last night i was sat on a bench in between the Other stage and Dance village. A group of teenagers came and sat down and asked for drugs, apologising when I pointed out I didn't have any. A while later they asked if I had any booze. Gave them a can of Strongbow and as I was walking away one of the lads caught me, gave me a big kiss on the cheek, and thanked me "man, for being cool".

A nice moment.

Edited by mooro

personal hates form this year:

Big flags, don't mind the smallr ones on poles as they add a bit of colour, but when you get people who hang several, or have a massive flag naming everyone in your group it gets a bit stupid - couldn't see the stage during Bruce, neither could the cameraman either, so hopefully that'll spur them to limit the size.

People who chatter. If you want to chat with your mates then go to a bar and do it, but don't stand in a large group next to me shouting at one another when a bands on. several times I couldn't hear what was being said on stage because of the chatter around me - Rolf Harris was especially bad for this. People say it was overcrowded, but if this shower of twats got out the way there would have been more space!

That said he should have been on Pyramid not Jazzworld.

Anyway, enough ranting, was my first glastonbury and thought overall it was just a fantastic weekend, it was my girlfriend's first ever festival and by Sunday afternoon she'd already managed to con her parents into buying us tickets for 2010 as Christmas presents :(

have been going to glastonbury for the past 15 years and have always thought of it as the most polite and pleasant of all festivals ..amazing considering the scale. But this year at the main stages the litter was appalling and the attitude of those dropping it even more so. I saw people pissing in paper cups and duly leaving it on floor amongst the crowd, as well as pissing on the signs telling you not to pee in the stream . I got throughly p'd off with what seemed to be a compulsive of burning things made of plastic making acrid smoke for everyone else .. during Blur had to move repeatedly to be able to breathe. This isn't about class, festivals don't come much more middle class than latitude and that has plenty of selfish b*****ds, or about age, this is respect - plenty in the audience lost mine...

(still had a great festival though! Just worried how it will survive if we all don't help protect it)

My experience in the pit for Kasabian is very similar to yours. Groups of yobs who think it is more fun to jump into people as aggresively as they can, including my wife and daughters.

To top it all my brother in law was hit smack in the back of the head with a full beer can, giving him a very sore head and a lost pair of sunglasses. Given the comments above, beer would be a good thing to be hit with!

Reminded me of an Oasis crowd. Very sad.

Agreed on the points about chairs in the pit, shouldn't be allowed. Nothing wrong with taking a chair, but sit further back.

Still, a great time was had by all in our group. Decent weather, fantastic entertainment and all the beer I could drink. What more could you want?

Kev

i had a really bad experience at bloc party on the friday night, i was near the front for ting tings and when their set finished the whole crowd just seemed to push forward, which at first i quite liked cos i thought it might help me get nearer to the front. i have been in the front for gigs before so i know to expect a bit of pushing and i can give as good as i get but then this group of about 20 lads who must have been about 18-20 where just pushing and squashing everyone for no reason except to try and crush people and when i started getting crushed from on top i had to move further back. i still had a wicked time cos bloc party were awesome but it was just such a shame to have some people acting like that as this was my first glasto and i had heard loads of stories about how nice and chill glasto is and to have tw*ts like that spoiling it was just really annoying. i still had a good overall time though and would defo go back next year.

It wasn't so much the tw@ts that caused the prblems, more the 'daddy's little trust fund' that really got my goat - they seem to be everywhere like cockroaches - mobs of stupid little girls more concerned about being seen than interested in the bloody event itself, deciding to yammer in those godawful almost - valley girl from kent accents, trying to look cool swaying to dizzie rascal - the closest most of these irritating gits get to the street is when they're stepping out of a chelsea tractor.

We also had a group who thought they were funny shouting all the way through Tom Jones - nobody thought they were funny with their 'stop living a lie - you're form Norfolk' craptastic jokes - some of us wanted to hear Tom sing!

Or the lad who was left by his group, comatose on the floor, only to wake up half an hour later and throw up (the best bit was that his girlfriend I assume, tested hi sblood sugar first before buggering off) - thanks!

Chairs - we knew we wanted to sit down, as all the acts we wanted to see on Struday were on the main stage - so we setup with our backs to the speaker on the right side of the stage - no one to worry about behinf us, the chairs were on the raised platform (so my wife had a good view)- not bothering anyone!

Funniest line of the weekend? 'So who is Bruce Springsteen anyway?'!

personal hates form this year:

Big flags, don't mind the smallr ones on poles as they add a bit of colour, but when you get people who hang several, or have a massive flag naming everyone in your group it gets a bit stupid - couldn't see the stage during Bruce, neither could the cameraman either, so hopefully that'll spur them to limit the size.

People who chatter. If you want to chat with your mates then go to a bar and do it, but don't stand in a large group next to me shouting at one another when a bands on. several times I couldn't hear what was being said on stage because of the chatter around me - Rolf Harris was especially bad for this. People say it was overcrowded, but if this shower of twats got out the way there would have been more space!

That said he should have been on Pyramid not Jazzworld.

Anyway, enough ranting, was my first glastonbury and thought overall it was just a fantastic weekend, it was my girlfriend's first ever festival and by Sunday afternoon she'd already managed to con her parents into buying us tickets for 2010 as Christmas presents :P