Increase in scum this year

Guest ministe2003

have been going to glastonbury for the past 15 years and have always thought of it as the most polite and pleasant of all festivals ..amazing considering the scale. But this year at the main stages the litter was appalling and the attitude of those dropping it even more so. I saw people pissing in paper cups and duly leaving it on floor amongst the crowd, as well as pissing on the signs telling you not to pee in the stream . I got throughly p'd off with what seemed to be a compulsive of burning things made of plastic making acrid smoke for everyone else .. during Blur had to move repeatedly to be able to breathe. This isn't about class, festivals don't come much more middle class than latitude and that has plenty of selfish b*****ds, or about age, this is respect - plenty in the audience lost mine...

(still had a great festival though! Just worried how it will survive if we all don't help protect it)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were 6 "lads" behind me who were all shouting at each other to use elbows to get what they wanted. Steel toe caps soon saw to that, I worry sometimes how many people get into danger in these crowds because of some of these stupid people. I understand people getting into a moving crowd and dealing with it but when people are trying to hurt others it is no fun.

Apparently I am getting old!

Ahh. Perfect thread! I was a litter picker and am still ranting since this monday mornings shift. I feel rather bad now for my grumpiness to the rest of the team but I was just totally beat.

Also someone mentioned they never saw daytime pickers, that was me but we had to spend our whole day in the jazz field due to the pieminister and brothers litter. So depressing to totally clear an area to come back half hour later and its exactly the same as it was before you started!

ALSO ALSO, SOMEONE had the cheek to ask me directions to then walk off and chuck their plastic bottle over their shoulder! (>!@?#) I WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE. Though, thank you so much to all the people that gave encouragement and made it that little bit more enjoyable...

Everyone should be made to be a litter picker one time. You see a totally different side to it.

To the person who posted the 5am photo of the pyramid stage, when I finished shift at 12 today it was looking a whole lot better! They do need a whole lot more bins around there though. I hate rubbish. I hate noodles/chips/rice. I hate brother cups. I hate the little plastic bit that cigarette packets come in. HAHA. I need sleep. I'm becoming rather manic about this all now. Blur, neil Young and 4 poofs and a piano all made it worth it... The flags didnt bother me, but thats only because my glasses broke so I couldn't see anyway!

It wasn't so much the tw@ts that caused the prblems, more the 'daddy's little trust fund' that really got my goat - they seem to be everywhere like cockroaches - mobs of stupid little girls more concerned about being seen than interested in the bloody event itself, deciding to yammer in those godawful almost - valley girl from kent accents, trying to look cool swaying to dizzie rascal - the closest most of these irritating gits get to the street is when they're stepping out of a chelsea tractor.

We also had a group who thought they were funny shouting all the way through Tom Jones - nobody thought they were funny with their 'stop living a lie - you're form Norfolk' craptastic jokes - some of us wanted to hear Tom sing!

Or the lad who was left by his group, comatose on the floor, only to wake up half an hour later and throw up (the best bit was that his girlfriend I assume, tested hi sblood sugar first before buggering off) - thanks!

Chairs - we knew we wanted to sit down, as all the acts we wanted to see on Struday were on the main stage - so we setup with our backs to the speaker on the right side of the stage - no one to worry about behinf us, the chairs were on the raised platform (so my wife had a good view)- not bothering anyone!

Funniest line of the weekend? 'So who is Bruce Springsteen anyway?'!

the litter was pretty bad but was what i expected from a festival, but one guy who annoyed me was at pyramid stage during dizzee rascal he was using one of those cream squirty things and filling balloons with gas to inhale and he was throwing all the little empty cannisters on the ground round him and if anyone deined to walk over where he was sprawled on the floor they got one lobbed at their feet.

i dont care about what he was doing i just dont see why he could bring a carrier bag with him for his empties & take them away with him.

Wow! Looks like the righteous middle class festival goers returned in force this year!

Talk of chavs, people making a noise at night, a taxi services to the car parks wanted, coked up scum, 3 blokes out of a whole audience ruining it for the rest, not enough camping space for you when you decided to show up, people having fires, etc. etc. etc.

WELCOME TO GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL! A massive party on a farm in a rural area, where people come for fun.

Can't stand the noise, get ear plugs.

Bloke in the crowd pissing you off, move - the likelihood is that all your tutting is pissing him off too!

Don't like scum, stick to Glyndebourne.

Yes, we thought that the crowd seemed alot less considerate of each other and the farm this year than in previous years. It was quite depressing. But thankfully there will still plenty of kind souls and free spirits wandering about the place, so it was still largely a peaceful and fun place to be.

The littering really upset me alot this year. It looked just as bad as Reading or Leeds around the Pyramid. We stamped out a few fires up round the stone circle where people had started burning plastic bin bags and even foldable chairs. The waste is disgusting and the attitude sucks. We were quite lucky, the neighbours in the surrounding tents in Dragon's field were all very responsible and thoughtful. When we left this afternoon the area was pretty much clean.

By the way, does anyone have any idea what happened on Saturday night/ Sunday morning to the toilet doors near the Pennards entrance to Kings Meadows or to the protective fencing in the entrance to Dragons Field? The doors were missing off some cubicles and the fencing near Dragons was torn down.

have been going to glastonbury for the past 15 years and have always thought of it as the most polite and pleasant of all festivals ..amazing considering the scale. But this year at the main stages the litter was appalling and the attitude of those dropping it even more so. I saw people pissing in paper cups and duly leaving it on floor amongst the crowd, as well as pissing on the signs telling you not to pee in the stream . I got throughly p'd off with what seemed to be a compulsive of burning things made of plastic making acrid smoke for everyone else .. during Blur had to move repeatedly to be able to breathe. This isn't about class, festivals don't come much more middle class than latitude and that has plenty of selfish b*****ds, or about age, this is respect - plenty in the audience lost mine...

(still had a great festival though! Just worried how it will survive if we all don't help protect it)

Edited by hippy linda

I was rather impressed with Glastonbury and thought the other people there were mostly lovely.

However there were a few annoying points, both what people have mentioned and what hasn't been. In particular was the amount of tents and other camping equipment that was left behind, such a waste! My girlfriend and I did take some of the abandoned stuff, ended up completely filling my car (we checked to make sure they were abandoned).

I was near the front for Nick Cave and the crowd became frankly dangerous after he finished. I'm used to metal gigs but a lot of indie kids in it were a bit dangerous, I guess their clique hasn't had too many crushings or whatever that metal has had so aren't as careful. I didn't mind it too much as I was 2-3 people back for Blur but I was glad my gf had gone to see Prodigy.

The taping was a little annoying but much of it had been broken down after Thursday/Friday around me.

There was a nasty event of perhaps bullying very near me, my campmates told me all about it (I was asleep). In the early hours, perhaps three or four some guys had tied one of their mates up and thrown him into the ditch near us. It woke up a lot of campers, at first everyone was laughing, even the guy in the ditch, then his calls for help took a different tone (the guys wouldn't let anyone help him out apparently) and he was in there a long time. It kept quite a lot of people nearby awake for ages and meant my friends hardly had any sleep. If it had woken me up, I wouldn't have been happy to say the least.

We also had a few people pissing in hedges near us though most stayed away. On the first night this guy went there about three times in an hour, (we all shouted a few things at him, shined torch at him and told him to get lost).

But the nice people I met certainly outweigh the bad eggs :P.

I've only been to Glastonbury four times and one of the things I love most about it is the spirit and how friendly everyone is; I love striking up conversations with complete strangers, listening to their experiences of the festival. For the most part, the great Glastonbury vibe has survived this year BUT with a few exceptions.

1. At the long drops by the Pyramid, rather than peeing into the toilet a lovely gentleman decide to pee against the door so there was urine pouring out from inside, through the hinge of the cubicle door. Pleasant.

2. Considering we were at a Festival that contributes MASSIVELY to Water Aid, this particularly annoyed me . . . one of the drains at the stainless steel sinks had been slightly blocked by a bar of soap. Despite the fact that the water was pouring over the top of the sink and onto the floor, nobody had thought to turn the tap off so I did. A girl then comes over to wash her hands and rather than rinse them in the perfectly clean water that was already in the sink, (It hadn't been sitting there for very long at all) she turns the tap back on! :P Grrrrrrr! I did have to point out that there are people in the world who drink water dirtier than that and that it would more than suffice to rinse her hands. I don't think I made a friend.

3. Walking back to the car this morning, the ground was obviously very muddy following the deluge of rain in the early hours and a lady was just spinning her wheels in the mud, not going anywhere. She only had children with her so I stopped, fully laden with rucksack still on, to help push the car. An entire queue of traffic watch as me and a couple of kids struggled to push her car. It was only after I'd fallen over in the mud and sliced my finger open that someone reluctantly got out of their car to help. What is wrong with people?

All this being said, I had a wonderful festival with 99.9% of the people reminding me why I love it so much.

Jesus, some right snobs in this thread. I thought Glasto was about embracing folk from all walks of life!? It was my first time there and my only complaints were people sitting on chairs in the D barrier and people cordening off areas with tape.

It isn't snobbery to expect a little consideration. Everyone from all walks of life has an equal right to enjoy Glastonbury and do as they please but, like it or not, it's a major event with a lot of people all trying to move around in a small space. If everyone were a little more thoughtful and a little less selfish, it would actually make it a lot easier for people to get around as they please.

I was more referring to people having a go at 'Essex types' and what not. Who cares? Live and let live. Surely one of the greatest things about the festival is being around people you wouldn't usually get to be around?

The hospitality camping area was my biggest annoyance from wicket ground we used to have a few routes out cutting across the cinema to jp and the dances tents, or along the path to pyramid, but we had to slap all the way round the massive fence. why couldn't they be put it outside if the celebs want privacy

When I was listening to nick cave behind the disabled viewing platform, there was a bloke got his cock out and starting pissing everywhere like a firehose, another bloke was puking up in his hands, I started to wonder if I'd ended up at Leeds by mistake!

The Pyramid generally annoyed me this year with people pushing and shoving constantly.

I'm slightly concerned that the girl I pissed off will show up in this thread and talk about the w*nker she met! I was attempting to get through the pre-Bruce crush, she was sat on a stool, I accidently glanced against her white plimsolls with my wellies and apologised. She said "you f**king stupid c**t, you've got my shoes dirty". That made me laugh!

Just to add a bit more, some things that annoyed me...

1/ The girl who poured cider on my head. We were queing for a bar and she accidentally poured about a 1/4 of her pint of cider on my head. I screeched in drunken surprise and said to my friend 'Someone's just poured cider on my head'. The other girl turned around and said 'what me?' to which I told her 'yes'. She turned back to the bar looking really angry, picked up her pint and walked off. What is wrong with saying sorry?

2/ I know that not everyone likes chairs but we were far back during Bruce and had chairs there. A girl tried to get through and there were our 4 chairs and a few rows of others. She apologised as she went through before barging through and knocking one of our group totally off her feet! To her credit, she turned round and said she was sorry. I expalined that there were chairs all along that way and she would struggle to get through so her response was 'mwwah!' and a glare at us!

3/ People pitching tents very badly - i.e. practically on top of others because they have brought a huge tent and turned up later and can't find a spot. We were actually asked to move a friends tent to make space for a bigger one. We did and I didn't see any point in arguing about it as it is nice to get on with neighbours but it was a bit annoying.

As a long time Woodsies camper, I found the walk from gate A a bit, errm, ENORMOUS compared with previous years... although the lack of through traffic and the bar/24hr cafe generator wasn't missed as much as an easy route to TOILETS and WATER!

HOWEVER, the general crush around the bottom of the JP stage field (where it always floods) seemed to cope surprisingly well with the fewer exits, despite the obviously hastily-erected urinals and the regular queues.

I'm not surprised people further up in Woodsies started p155ing in the ditches as they were a very long walk from a toilet, although if it was the ditch near me I tried to get an address so I could visit and p155 in their garden too.

Enough ranting, but no "scum" camped near me. Loads of those beautiful people that keep bringing me back year after year. I'm now off for a pee in MY garden... because I can :lol:

Must say I'm shocked some people are so naive. Its a festival, a popular festival that embraces all walks of life. If Michael Eavis could pick every person he wanted there I'm sure he wouldn't want to do so. Its a public sale of tickets going to all sorts of different characters. Sure theres a few idiots here and there but crikey isn't that to be expected at a festival!!? Generally speaking Glastonbury is the friendliest festival you could find. And what the hell is wrong with people chatting next to you? Are people not allowed to chat FFS!!!

So if you're easily shocked then festivals arn't the place for you :lol:

I do agree with the chair and tent taping things though.

the litter was AWFUL. i was suprised at how much they wernt emptied. also they should have had stewards at each set of bins making sure people separated properly.

they did this @ lat last year so the mid boggles as to why @ glasto litter strewn all over the bins is acceptable?

the only time the place was clean was @ like 6am when no1 but litter pickers was about.