WEATHER 2009 !

Guest sdaveak47

For what its worth.

We live about 20 miles from Pilton - so weather here is pretty much weather there of course.

I've been following Metcheck all week and AT LEAST with their short term forecasting they've been almost spookily accurate for days now. So - my advice is keep that one in your sights. Still showing no rain for next weekend.

This if you forgive one day in the last few when they had showers down for 12:00 and it actually started at 11:52.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year looked like becoming a washout on Thursday evening, when the mud appeared under the weight of rain and all those feet. One of my mates looked close to tears as he said, "Aww, why does it always have to do this?"

The next day the sun came out, and whether it was the improved drainage that Eavis always talks about, or the fact that the ground hadn't seen much rain leading up to the festival, the mud dried up and it was Converse All-Stars time for the rest of the festival.

Who would have thought on Thursday night that we'd be watching Leonard Cohen in our t-shirts as the sun set in the most glorious fashion over the last day of the festival?

I'm taking waterproofs, no question of that whatever the forecast says, but I'm quietly optimistic. Even the worse forecasts at the moment sound no worse than last year, which was really good overall IMHO.

Be warmned people, that one is very capable of near-crashing your library's computer.....

I briefly saw that forecast though (it was for Bath), and it looked fantastic.

Possibly a little unrealisticily so ...

I've never seen Intellicast before, what's its provenance/reliability/origin?

Edited by steve murr

Nearly All Weather site location forecasts are driven by model input data- this includes Net weather, Metcheck, Accuweather, Weather underground, Intel.............. & so on....

You physically couldnt have a forecaster doing forecasts at that local level- it would take to long-

A slightly better run on overnight from ECMWF, still the risk of those easterly winds, although the 'squeeze' from the south does look a little weaker- which will enhance the warmer 'feeling'-

Also less pronounced will be the Showery zones- the SW may end up in the void of nothing- which will be good, as it would then almost certainly default to dry & sunny-

A better day overall- back to 7.5/10 75% conf.....

S

Nearly All Weather site location forecasts are driven by model input data- this includes Net weather, Metcheck, Accuweather, Weather underground, Intel.............. & so on....

You physically couldnt have a forecaster doing forecasts at that local level- it would take to long-

A slightly better run on overnight from ECMWF, still the risk of those easterly winds, although the 'squeeze' from the south does look a little weaker- which will enhance the warmer 'feeling'-

Also less pronounced will be the Showery zones- the SW may end up in the void of nothing- which will be good, as it would then almost certainly default to dry & sunny-

A better day overall- back to 7.5/10 75% conf.....

S

Met Office Update:

UK Outlook for Wednesday 24 Jun 2009 to Friday 3 Jul 2009:

The weather will be fine and dry for most of the country, with any patchy rain and drizzle in northern Scotland clearing by Thursday. North Sea coasts may be affected by some cloud, and a brisk easterly wind may affect parts of the south, but the warm and dry weather is expected for most of the country, and is set to continue into the weekend. Temperatures will be warm or very warm although it will feel cooler on the coasts as sea breezes develop during the day. There is a chance of some heavy, thundery showers in the south east towards the end of the weekend. The risk of thundery showers continues into next week, although some drier spells are also expected. Temperatures falling a little.

Updated: 1254 on Fri 19 Jun 2009

Met Office update for next week recently added :

UK Outlook for Tuesday 23 Jun 2009 to Thursday 2 Jul 2009:

High pressure dominates the weather for the last week or so of June bringing plenty of fine, dry and sunny conditions across the UK once initial rain in Scotland clears. Winds will be light to moderate, leading to cooling sea breezes on many coasts. However, the high pressure is expected to gradually decline away to the northeast near the end of the month, and showers may develop across some southern and southeastern parts of England. Fine and dry conditions with spells of sunshine should continue though across Scotland and Northern Ireland. Temperatures will be warm or very warm at first, especially across inland central and southern Britain at first, falling closer to normal across eastern and southern parts later.

Updated: 1213 on Thu 18 Jun 2009

Edited by William of Walworth

Be warned people, that one is very capable of near-crashing your library's computer.....

I briefly saw that forecast though (it was for Bath), and it looked fantastic.

Possibly a little unrealisticily so ...

I've never seen Intellicast before, what's its provenance/reliability/origin?

Met Office Update:

UK Outlook for Wednesday 24 Jun 2009 to Friday 3 Jul 2009:

The weather will be fine and dry for most of the country, with any patchy rain and drizzle in northern Scotland clearing by Thursday. North Sea coasts may be affected by some cloud, and a brisk easterly wind may affect parts of the south, but the warm and dry weather is expected for most of the country, and is set to continue into the weekend. Temperatures will be warm or very warm although it will feel cooler on the coasts as sea breezes develop during the day. There is a chance of some heavy, thundery showers in the south east towards the end of the weekend. The risk of thundery showers continues into next week, although some drier spells are also expected. Temperatures falling a little.

Updated: 1254 on Fri 19 Jun 2009