I am very sad to be the bearer of bad news.

Guest mr_bizarre

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this part of the efestivals story

A spokesman for Glastonbury Festival exclusively tells us "Glastonbury Festival is constantly evolving. Although the Left Field area will not be happening next year in its current format, Glastonbury always likes to spring surprises, so at this point we can't confirm exactly what new element and areas will make up the 2009 Festival. We will be making announcements about new attractions in the new year."

I was also at the Leftfield film last night and was merry but certainly not drunk! From the explanation given (and to be fair to Geoff Martin and the other speakers they were very careful not to be critical of Glastonbury, but were clearly disappointed as they wanted the stage to continue) it does boil down to money - my interpretation of what was said (and they were deliberately vague) was that whereas in the past Leftfield had been given the space for free Glastonbury was having to adopt a more commercial approach to avoid the risk of loss that looked likely in 2008 (but didn't materialise) and Leftfield couldn't afford this. I took that to mean they would have to pay for the stage rather than get it for free?

On a similar note it was also implied that Workers Beer Company may not be providing the bars, or at least as many bars next year?

As to the film - it was great and brought back many happy memories of what was a fabulous Leftfield line up this year. About an hour long and basically a chronological run through of the 4 days, interspersed with back stage footage and commentary about the causes they were supporting and how it had influenced the musicians performing. My only (slight!) criticism would be that it was virtually all clips of songs rather than whole performances. They said they expect it to be available on DVD early in the New Year.

Dave

I was also at the Leftfield film last night and was merry but certainly not drunk! From the explanation given (and to be fair to Geoff Martin and the other speakers they were very careful not to be critical of Glastonbury, but were clearly disappointed as they wanted the stage to continue) it does boil down to money - my interpretation of what was said (and they were deliberately vague) was that whereas in the past Leftfield had been given the space for free Glastonbury was having to adopt a more commercial approach to avoid the risk of loss that looked likely in 2008 (but didn't materialise) and Leftfield couldn't afford this. I took that to mean they would have to pay for the stage rather than get it for free?

On a similar note it was also implied that Workers Beer Company may not be providing the bars, or at least as many bars next year?

As to the film - it was great and brought back many happy memories of what was a fabulous Leftfield line up this year. About an hour long and basically a chronological run through of the 4 days, interspersed with back stage footage and commentary about the causes they were supporting and how it had influenced the musicians performing. My only (slight!) criticism would be that it was virtually all clips of songs rather than whole performances. They said they expect it to be available on DVD early in the New Year.

Dave

aw man, only really discovered it this year and now it's gone!

could never remember wherabouts it was but spent a nice morning/early afternoon there on the saturday, there were some really good bands on.

and i vaguely remember stumbling across a Clash covers band(i think) there in the early hours on monday morning this year. think it was actually the last band i saw there this year :rolleyes:

I dont know the ins and outs of this behind the scenes but it does seem to be more along the lines of the festival become more like a big pop concert than being part of a social movement. Glastonury was restarted in the 80s explicitly to support nuclear disarmament and the peace movement. It took pride of being a ceter for resistance to the right wing neoliberalism of the 80s and the abandonment of the whole concept of society and social responsibility.

I fear that whatever replaces the Leftfield will be a sanitized, toned down political stage\ tent. I await being impressed by the orginisers.

Shame !

My last two memories of the Leftfield will be

"The crush that was The Levellers "

"Sat outside on the Sunday evening as Mr Barat joined Billy Bragg on stage , or was it the other way round "

:(

I am saddened by this news, as I feel important for the festival to have somewhere that politics can have a voice.

I dearly hope that this can act as a catalyst for a greater representation of the politics that makes this festival so great. I believe that not only a suitable replacement to the Leftfield is needed, but to have back speakers on the Pyramid stage to reach a greater audience.

So the Left Field, I'm sad to see you go. I hope your successor can bring the same positive message!