Festival on the wall

Muppetmark

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've not looked into it, but are the geezers running this experienced promoters?

Cos it's one thing following and wanting bands like Coldplay and Catfish because they're big sellers, but it's another thing entirely to be a promoter that an agent will be happy to give that act to. Any agent will want only the top bookings for its top acts.

In the 20 years I've been sat here i've seen endless big plans from small geezers, and as far as I can remember none of those events have ended up anything like how they presented it at the start (if they ever happened at all).

It would be great if all it took was booking the bands and the bands could be booked, but that's not how the real world works unfortunately.

Done a bit of digging and can't find any past experience.  I know one of themy has something to do wit has a recruitment agency and that's about it. Presumably he owns it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, stuart hall said:

Done a bit of digging and can't find any past experience.  I know one of themy has something to do wit has a recruitment agency and that's about it. Presumably he owns it.

then it's probably wise to not expect too much.

The acts announced so far are definitely 2nd tier at best, and I'll be surprised if anything gets above that.

11 minutes ago, liambarton said:

its Apollo Entertainment and Kilimanjaro live who are involved with it.

you may know more about them than what i have read on there websites

hmmm ... just did some digging on Apollo and they appear to be new - and claiming no experience, with this is their first event. I'm guessing it's the vehicle of the geezers who are putting it together.

Kilimanjaro is better, tho a failed festival operator itself - tho one with very decent contacts, all the same. From googling, tho, they appear more likely to be doing production-for-money than having an organiser's role.

Kili's involvement makes it better than just a couple of random geezers, but how much better would depend on how deep their involvement is. The confirmed acts so far suggest it's not very deep or committed, tho perhaps I'm thinking about it wrongly.

Edited by eFestivals

Kinda weird the choice of images they're using on their media. I know it hasn't run yet but I don't see the point in being insincere about it. There are a few on here.

The image they're using for the Witchcraft Woods is a picture from the Electric Forest festival in Michigan. People would rather see how it's coming along, ie. what they're building for it, rather than something it is not going to be, surely?

I'd say you're being a bit harsh. The festival hasn't happened yet, and they presumably want to give an impression of what they're aiming at, so to use images from another festival is their only real choice.

I agree that doing a bloggy type thing of progress would be a great idea, both for publicity and for building confidence in the event, but they'd still probably want to have images of what they're aiming at.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say you're being a bit harsh. The festival hasn't happened yet, and they presumably want to give an impression of what they're aiming at, so to use images from another festival is their only real choice.

I agree that doing a bloggy type thing of progress would be a great idea, both for publicity and for building confidence in the event, but they'd still probably want to have images of what they're aiming at.

Yeah I admit it's probably just a peeve of mine rather than a problem others would have with it. Just with the features its talking up added to the ticket prices it seems a bit cocksure, tho obviously to people that don't sit around on a festival forum it might actually instil confidence instead of taking it away. :lol:

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I admit it's probably just a peeve of mine rather than a problem others would have with it. Just with the features its talking up added to the ticket prices it seems a bit cocksure, tho obviously to people that don't sit around on a festival forum it might actually instil confidence instead of taking it away. :lol:

I think the events look a bit too gimmicky for me. I don't fancy sitting on a table 500 ft in the air.

However, I think the matter that is much more pressing for them is getting some more bands on the lineup.

I've had a little info overnight.

So I hear, Kilimanjaro *are* doing the bookings, which is good. They have clout that a random geezer wouldn't have, which means the festival will get better access to acts than it might otherwise do. I suspect tho, that as a new fest trying to be big, agents will still be somewhat wary of it.

I also hear that the guys running it have their own wedge to finance it, rather than it relying on investors who might for some reason lose confidence along the way - another good thing.

On the less good front - I presume it's true, tho I don't know with certainty - I've heard the licence application has been retracted, and there's currently no licence application. However, if that's right, it's not necessarily anything bad, as putting in a suitable application that's right for the event is a better thing than one that isn't. The fact they did submit one in the first place shows these things are in hand and being dealt with, and it's withdrawal again suggests a decent amount of thinking about the whole event. I presume an amended licence application will be submitted in the near-ish future.

when i downloaded the application from Northumberland councils website a month or so back there was a hand written note at the very top of the first page saying "Last date 02/03/17"

any idea what that would mean? it ties in with the application being retracted.

10 minutes ago, liambarton said:

when i downloaded the application from Northumberland councils website a month or so back there was a hand written note at the very top of the first page saying "Last date 02/03/17"

any idea what that would mean? it ties in with the application being retracted.

I'm not sure. 

I do know that licence docs tend to be an evolving thing, tho, so that might be a reference to the latest update to it, rather than a date of retraction.

I've been told it's been withdrawn by someone who claims to know (and who I know has the contacts to know more of nitty gritty than me), but I can't guarantee that's correct - and it's not meant to imply anything, other than the organisers wanting to change something of the licence application. The way it was told to me suggests a new/updated application will be made.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure. 

I do know that licence docs tend to be an evolving thing, tho, so that might be a reference to the latest update to it, rather than a date of retraction.

I've been told it's been withdrawn by someone who claims to know (and who I know has the contacts to know more of nitty gritty than me), but I can't guarantee that's correct - and it's not meant to imply anything, other than the organisers wanting to change something of the licence application. The way it was told to me suggests a new/updated application will be made.

To be fair that's probably a good thing. Maybe they can reposition themselves as a ten to twenty thousand event because forty thousand always seemed wildly ambitious. 

In your opinion do you think it will be a success as such? Its obvious this area is in need of something along the lines of what they are trying to achieve and with good backing and sensible people in charge an event up here could do well. But do you think this is the event or the right people involved to do it?

27 minutes ago, liambarton said:

In your opinion do you think it will be a success as such? Its obvious this area is in need of something along the lines of what they are trying to achieve and with good backing and sensible people in charge an event up here could do well. But do you think this is the event or the right people involved to do it?

It's a hard call.

Nearly every festival has started small and built itself up, but there's a few exceptions which show that it can be done in the way these guys appear to be going at it.

I'd have greater confidence if they had a solid background in festivals, but i've been led to believe that their festival background is mostly to do with subcontracting security staff to festivals.

Just to demonstrate, I reckon I know I lot about festivals, having attended them for 35 years, and having spent the last 20 years writing about them - but i feel I'd be HUGELY out of my depth if I tried to put one on myself, because I've got some idea of everything which has to be done while knowing almost nothing about the detail of those things.

Added to that is me not having the finances to 'buy in' the professional services I'd need in order to do it, which means that if I tried to do one myself i'd end up as a bit part and it wouldn't end up as being much of 'my' festival at the end of it. I've of course thought of doing one many times over the years, but i always come back to that and realise it wouldn't be the smartest move.

It's possibly the case that they might have a greater grasp of those finer details than me, because they've at least been involved in one aspect of running a fest - which is one more than me.

And, as I understand it, they have the dosh to back what they're doing, which puts them in control (which I wouldn't be).

Even so, plenty get into it thinking it's easier than it is, and thinking it's a bigger cash cow than it is. If they're going to pull it off, they'll need to really REALLY want to pull it off.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's a hard call.

Nearly every festival has started small and built itself up, but there's a few exceptions which show that it can be done in the way these guys appear to be going at it.

I'd have greater confidence if they had a solid background in festivals, but i've been led to believe that their festival background is mostly to do with subcontracting security staff to festivals.

Just to demonstrate, I reckon I know I lot about festivals, having attended them for 35 years, and having spent the last 20 years writing about them - but i feel I'd be HUGELY out of my depth if I tried to put one on myself, because I've got some idea of everything which has to be done while knowing almost nothing about the detail of those things.

Added to that is me not having the finances to 'buy in' the professional services I'd need in order to do it, which means that if I tried to do one myself i'd end up as a bit part and it wouldn't end up as being much of 'my' festival at the end of it. I've of course thought of doing one many times over the years, but i always come back to that and realise it wouldn't be the smartest move.

It's possibly the case that they might have a greater grasp of those finer details than me, because they've at least been involved in one aspect of running a fest - which is one more than me.

And, as I understand it, they have the dosh to back what they're doing, which puts them in control (which I wouldn't be).

Even so, plenty get into it thinking it's easier than it is, and thinking it's a bigger cash cow than it is. If they're going to pull it off, they'll need to really REALLY want to pull it off.

I really do hope they do pull it off like, to have a festival so close to home would be fantastic, especially for those Monday morning hangovers I'm sure you all know only too well about, followed by a massive journey home.  To be home within the hour would be superb for me.  And hopefully, as time goes on, and more details are released about the camping aspects and further bands, a clearer picture as to what it's gonna look like will become apparent.  I mean the lack of bands currently on offer is not a new thing is, a lot of festivals announce in stages, so that's not a major problem at this stage I don't think.  But I do think that the lack of info on the in house camping options, whilst tickets are apparently selling out fast, is a real issue for me personally, as staying in a pre-pitched tent is something I want to do, but I'm not buying a ticket till I know the prices of those options.  Why they can't just release that info now bothers me.

But as for everything else, I think it sounds like it could be a pretty good festival.

Edited by glendvd

54 minutes ago, glendvd said:

I really do hope they do pull it off like, to have a festival so close to home would be fantastic, especially for those Monday morning hangovers I'm sure you all know only too well about, followed by a massive journey home.  To be home within the hour would be superb for me.  And hopefully, as time goes on, and more details are released about the camping aspects and further bands, a clearer picture as to what it's gonna look like will become apparent.  I mean the lack of bands currently on offer is not a new thing is, a lot of festivals announce in stages, so that's not a major problem at this stage I don't think.  But I do think that the lack of info on the in house camping options, whilst tickets are apparently selling out fast, is a real issue for me personally, as staying in a pre-pitched tent is something I want to do, but I'm not buying a ticket till I know the prices of those options.  Why they can't just release that info now bothers me.

But as for everything else, I think it sounds like it could be a pretty good festival.

Given the lack of Facebook activity and the fact that they have already gone to day tickets i wouldn't take their claim that tickets are selling fast too seriously. Give it a coutlets of months and see how it pans out.

I'd be a bit worried about getting a refund if it does get cancelled.

Edited by stuart hall

1 hour ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

it appears that they are still in the SOFT announcement phase also ..........Which is very strange !

24 minutes ago, stuart hall said:

Given the lack of Facebook activity and the fact that they have already gone to day tickets i wouldn't take their claim that tickets are selling fast too seriously. Give it a coutlets of months and see how it pans out.

As well as the organisers not having much experience with festivals/events, the press team they've gone with are in the same boat it would seem. 

They have gone with a local pr company. Great keeping things local, but festivals and events not promoted right fall flat on their face. 

33 minutes ago, stuart hall said:

Yeah I'll certainly not be buying at the moment.  There's far too little concrete information for my liking to commit to it yet.  And what else is concerning me is that there seems to be little or no movement whatsoever from them.  No saying when they're going to announce further information, just "coming soon".  I await with baited breath.

Edited by glendvd

• 2 weeks later...

I seen the story in the Evening Chronicle about them not having a license, someone asked about it on their fb page and their response was...

"This is not an unusual process for events of this nature and we are looking forward to announcing some great acts in the coming weeks! Northumberland County Council are very supportive of the festival and once we are in a position to supply all of the line-up info, we can complete the licensing process. We can’t wait to put on a great festival for you all this August! If you have any further concerns please do drop us an email on info@festivalonthewall.com and we will be happy to help."

3 minutes ago, jamj said:

I seen the story in the Evening Chronicle about them not having a license, someone asked about it on their fb page and their response was...

To be fair to them, sorting a licence is always something which comes somewhere down the line in the 'putting it together' process, and there's plenty of time to sort it.

But from the other direction, having a licence sorted is one of the things which help build trust in those who might buy tickets, so it would be much better if it were sorted swiftly.

Yeah, I've already got weekend tickets for this so really want to see it going ahead, but I know lots who wanted day tickets, and now that they've released them, wont buy because they've heard the story and are waiting on more concrete info as they fear it's not happening.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, stuart hall said:

I just made a comment on their Facebook page asking about the next lineup announcement and why there hadn't been any Facebook or Twitter activity in a week and a half and my post was immediately deleted. I WOULD TREAT THIS FESTIVAL WITH DEEP SUSPSCION!!

that's probably a harsh angle to take on it.

They're not the first facebook user to delete a comment they feel is negative from a platform they're trying to use to present what they're doing in a positive way.

They may or may not be having difficulties, but I don't think what you experienced can be used as an indicator for that.