Bands for 2017

eagles69

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/27/2017 at 6:14 PM, ljsawyer said:

Saw a bunch of EOTR bands at Sea Change Festival this weekend, here are my thoughts:

W. H. Lung - Absolutely superb, probably the best new band I have seen all year. Hard to believe that these guys are probably no older than 18-19 years old as there is so much complexity and so many layers to their music. Look out for the drummer as he really is the beating heart of the band and keeps it all together like a metronome.

Aldous Harding - Meh. The music is fine, but I find her freaky persona and over-exaggerated facial expressions a bit off-putting. It's not easy to take her performance seriously when she seems pretty intent on making it look like she's having a seizure on stage.

Ryley Walker - Cortezuk is right that he's undergone a bit of a transformation since his last EOTR performance, though I do remember quite a bit of jamming and noodling during that set. Not gonna complain though, as his band is phenomenal and the jammy parts were all pretty engaging.

Lowly - Really beautiful set, they were quite a bit heavier and more pulsating than they are on record. Definitely deserving of a later and longer slot than they have at EOTR.

Douglas Dare - Such a talented pianist & vocalist and sounded really amazing in Totnes church. Not sure how well it will translate to the Piano Stage, but definitely worth a look-in for those that haven't given him a listen yet.

Thank you again for this. It meant that I didn't miss two of my favourite sets of EoTR this year - W H Lung (superb and you didn't even mention the dancing!) and Lowly (sublime).

wonderful.

1 hour ago, juliadevitt said:

Thank you again for this. It meant that I didn't miss two of my favourite sets of EoTR this year - W H Lung (superb and you didn't even mention the dancing!) and Lowly (sublime).

wonderful.

No worries, glad you enjoyed it! They really were phenomenal. The frontman was considerably less animated at Sea Change Festival as they were playing on a tiny stage and he didn't have a lot of room to move around, so it was good to see him really going for it at EOTR.

On 9/13/2016 at 11:28 AM, eagles69 said:

Father John Misty 

Christine and the Queens

The National

Genghar

Car Seat Headrest

Mitski

Let's Eat Grandma

Nick Cave 

Beck

Angel Olsen

She Drew The Gun

first post re this year's line up and eagles69 didn't do too badly. 

Edited by juliadevitt
spelling

On 8/27/2017 at 6:14 PM, ljsawyer said:

Saw a bunch of EOTR bands at Sea Change Festival this weekend, here are my thoughts:

W. H. Lung - Absolutely superb, probably the best new band I have seen all year. Hard to believe that these guys are probably no older than 18-19 years old as there is so much complexity and so many layers to their music. Look out for the drummer as he really is the beating heart of the band and keeps it all together like a metronome.

Aldous Harding - Meh. The music is fine, but I find her freaky persona and over-exaggerated facial expressions a bit off-putting. It's not easy to take her performance seriously when she seems pretty intent on making it look like she's having a seizure on stage.

Ryley Walker - Cortezuk is right that he's undergone a bit of a transformation since his last EOTR performance, though I do remember quite a bit of jamming and noodling during that set. Not gonna complain though, as his band is phenomenal and the jammy parts were all pretty engaging.

Lowly - Really beautiful set, they were quite a bit heavier and more pulsating than they are on record. Definitely deserving of a later and longer slot than they have at EOTR.

Douglas Dare - Such a talented pianist & vocalist and sounded really amazing in Totnes church. Not sure how well it will translate to the Piano Stage, but definitely worth a look-in for those that haven't given him a listen yet.

How did you like Sea Change. Just looking at the line up in retrospect and wondering why we didn't go! We live about an hour's drive away. Where did  you stay?