Camping coffee/espresso maker - recommendations?

Janaka

Reviews like this are worth a thousand Google-search results, where you don't know whether its genuine or some advertising-in-disguise.  Which gives me a problem: I love space-saving camping gadgets, and I like coffee, so although my Aeropress is actually the perfect tool for the job, it's now only a matter of time before I crack and order one...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, BluePaul said:

As promised, reporting back on the minipresso, which took about five days to arrive.  First impressions are it is a very well put together piece of kit, it feels like it could cope with festival knocks and scrapes no problem.  I ran it through once with boiling water only to prime it/warm it up, then made cup number one with some old Illy espresso grounds (not the freshest by a long shot).

Filling with coffee and water is a breeze, and the pump action is smooth - probably not a one-handed operation but easy enough with two to keep steady over the cup and get the coffee to go where it wants.  The coffee produced had a very respectable crema and - allowing for the age of the grounds - a very acceptable taste.  Produces pretty much a double shot with a full water reservoir.  Probably 5 mins from start to finish - not that much faff at all.

Actually made up with it - it's a yes for me, Clive.

Off to give it another try...

*starts bouncing off walls*

IMG_0015.JPG

What's it like to clean afterwards? 

On 10/06/2016 at 8:32 AM, majormajormajor said:

How is the V2? Been meaning to buy one to try it out. Can you give me some measurements, ie. bean and water weights? Might go buy one.

On 10/06/2016 at 10:18 AM, morph100 said:

How does this work, sounds interesting....do you just make the strongest coffee you can, let it cool and put it in a plastic bottle?

Sorry, been away...

I don't grind my own, buy fresh ground from Hasbean.  For the V2, a grind a bit finer than the usual filter grind works a bit better, in terms of extraction, but not as fine as espresso grind.  I use "about a scoop" of coffee for one cup, and about 1 1/2 for anything else up to about 4 cups.  I seem to be able to maintain the extraction / strength by keeping the flow rate low (i.e. putting a little bit of water in the filter at a time).  I would say you are giving up a bit of quality for ease / flexibility.

For cold concentrate, you use a cold extraction.  Basically, mix ground coffee and cold water, and leave for 12-48 hours in the fridge, then filter to remove the grinds.  You need to add a lot of coffee for this - I go for about 8:1 water to coffee. 

TK Max has a fine selection of espresso percolators bought the 9 cup one only £7.99 today and have tested a number of times (probably why I'm still awake)

need to buy some decent coffee but have tested lidls excellent value espresso coffee the 9 cups translate to an excellent mug full which with a dash of sugar and a splash of milk is near to perfection and will have me on the go nice and early through the festival.....

its the future i tell you and surprisingly quick