Rope barriers instead of metal fencing at gates again?

I feel like Pablo

hi!

being an extremely anxious person I have been anxious for some time that this year they will again be replacing the metal barriers used to herd us in a sheep-like fashion through a square field in zig zag upon zig zag with rope barriers. 

it was a disaster last year at gate D with a huge scary crush and hours wasted and trapped with annoying/dangerous people not adhering to the queueing system and ducking under the ropes creating a nightmarish bottleneck... thing. and there were no security or stewards in sight while this was happening. which was literally about 2 and a half hours  

as you can see I was clearly traumatised. just wondering if anybody is working on site beforehand and would be able to inform me as to whether metal barriers or rope will be used this year? just trying to mentally prepare myself and perhaps go to a different gate.

see you all in 21 days! 

15 minutes ago, I feel like Pablo said:

hi!

being an extremely anxious person I have been anxious for some time that this year they will again be replacing the metal barriers used to herd us in a sheep-like fashion through a square field in zig zag upon zig zag with rope barriers. 

it was a disaster last year at gate D with a huge scary crush and hours wasted and trapped with annoying/dangerous people not adhering to the queueing system and ducking under the ropes creating a nightmarish bottleneck... thing. and there were no security or stewards in sight while this was happening. which was literally about 2 and a half hours  

as you can see I was clearly traumatised. just wondering if anybody is working on site beforehand and would be able to inform me as to whether metal barriers or rope will be used this year? just trying to mentally prepare myself and perhaps go to a different gate.

see you all in 21 days! 

Which gate do you plan at the moment? Which day? Are you going with friends, and is the plan to get in early to pitch tents? I'm not an 'insider' but if you're looking at gate C, let me know.

Never experienced this before. I think you have been unlucky. Unlikely you'll face a similar problem but as the others have said... if large crowds behaving unsociably affect you then perhaps stay back until the initial rush dies down. Perhaps if you are in a group you let those who can handle it go in first to get your pitch and you follow later. Its unlikely that the entry system will be changed year on year as generally the system copes well considering there are 100,000 people with a lot of bags all entering within a few hours.

I tend to rock up at 11/12 on the Wednesday and there's no queues or hassle, the roads are pretty quiet and it's a hell of a lot easier getting in and getting sorted. Ok I won't be able to camp in central areas, but I aim for top webbs ash/Michaels mead kind of area and I always get in there with my big ol tent. If I were you, I'd delay getting there, and plan on camping up on the north of the site

il be arriving at 9pm on Tuesday with a group of a few friends. we will be getting there to pitch early to get our usual spot in pennard hill but mainly we go so early to enjoy an extra night of 'festival' while in the queue.

the crowds dont generally bother me, and every year ive been (this will be the 5th) it's been fine as there have been metal barriers separating the zig zag section at the top of gate D just before you go through the gate - except for last year when they for some reason replaced them all with rope and decided to send no stewards or security to the gate. 

i wasn't so upset as I was just plain angry with the people causing a dangerous situation for everyone else and whoever didn't have the foresight to think rope MIGHT cause a problem as a 'barrier'.

i did hear last year some fence fell down at gate B and a lot of people had to be redirected and maybe that's where all the stewards and security had to go hence why there were none on gate D. 

The festival is usually very good at looking at  making improvements around the site , so hopefully will have seen that there need to be some adjustments in crowd management around this gate . although have experienced the odd chaotic queue to get in in the past due to lack of marshals / poor queuing systems .. but try to relax and look forward to whats on the other side

3 hours ago, GoonerRob said:

I was in this madness last year too... im going to hazard a guess that they will have metal fencing back up, purely because they had to put up metal fencing last year anyway after the rope got ignored by everyone.

ah! maybe we were gate where the fence 'fell down'. there was no bloody fence to begin with! 

fingers crossed for less carnage this year. 

I would definitely email the festival with your feedback. They can't see everything and if they're aware of a problem then they can hopefully put measures in place to avoid it again - especially if it's dangerous.

I've emailed them feedback before and it was gratefully received. 

It might be too late to put metal barriers instead of rope up but they might be able to arrange security/marshalls in that area if it's highlighted to them. You never know!

On 2 June 2016 at 8:24 PM, stardustjunkie said:

I would definitely email the festival with your feedback. They can't see everything and if they're aware of a problem then they can hopefully put measures in place to avoid it again - especially if it's dangerous.

I've emailed them feedback before and it was gratefully received. 

It might be too late to put metal barriers instead of rope up but they might be able to arrange security/marshalls in that area if it's highlighted to them. You never know!

thankyou! I very much enjoy a strongly worded letter, so will send an email enquiring :)