Ticket Competitions

cb4747

What do you think the part about the tickets being "non-transferrable" means - that you can't ask for another prize, or they have to go to the person who owns the phone? I'm happy to enter for someone but wouldn't want any hopes dashed!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, alibear said:

What do you think the part about the tickets being "non-transferrable" means - that you can't ask for another prize, or they have to go to the person who owns the phone? I'm happy to enter for someone but wouldn't want any hopes dashed!

That does normally mean that the prize cannot be transferred between people, i.e. it has to go to the person who entered. So I suppose you shouldn't enter on other people's behalf. But then, if they don't ask for the name until you've won, how would they know without checking with your network provider (and you having registered the number under your name), which seems fairly OTT

Just now, alibear said:

non-transferable generally covers both from what I've seen of Ts&Cs from other competitions in general. But saying that I assume if you were to win they would call you on that number and ask for the details there and then so whoever is entering on behalf of someone would need to know all the other persons info. 

17 hours ago, cb4747 said:

bit of a sour puss on Twitter not happy with the winner! (Not sure if it's showing the tweet properly)

I think she's removed it now as I've just had a look. Quite right too what a grump! I think it's great. Love his cheeky bottom:wub:

I'm off on holiday for a week starting tomorrow.  I'm nervous because I won't be able to track any competitions while I'm away.  Need to try and not think about it.  If, by some miracle there's another sale, I'll obviously miss it but look forward to hearing of any forumites who get lucky. x

Just now, danmarks said:

Just be aware that you are also signing up for oxfam notifications which will mostly be people phoning to sign you up for a monthly donation. Worthy cause etc but it can become a tad annoying after a while.

Yeah, they give you quite clear instructions for stopping the notifications/contact so if you think it might be a problem you can stop it straight away. 

I already do DD to Oxfam and others and find their pestering on doorsteps/over the phone (which costs hundreds of thousands of pounds out of their funds) irritating at best, downright unpleasant at worst. But some people might be more interested in receiving regular updates about certain campaigns/being asked for money to support specific work they're doing. 

3 minutes ago, emilyboris said:

Yeah, they give you quite clear instructions for stopping the notifications/contact so if you think it might be a problem you can stop it straight away. 

I already do DD to Oxfam and others and find their pestering on doorsteps/over the phone (which costs hundreds of thousands of pounds out of their funds) irritating at best, downright unpleasant at worst. But some people might be more interested in receiving regular updates about certain campaigns/being asked for money to support specific work they're doing. 

I intend to 'unsubscribe' after a few days.  I have a similar experience with Greenpeace, (who I have a DD with) these days.  Only prob past couple of years it's become a nuisance.  But, this is another chance to win a ticket so I've given my £5 and will await their cal  ;  )

20 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

Sadly because it's paid work I can't do DC site services as I can't do any other paid employment on top of my work contract :( still trying all of the volunteering options and competitions though. I'm still not accepting I'm not going haha! Lost hope I think!

I'm sure they offer volunteering too! That might be their waste management stuff I think

21 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I'm sure they offer volunteering too! That might be their waste management stuff I think

I think the volunteering spots all went a while ago unfortunately. They're one of those who offer both volunteering + paid work at a number of places, but obviously if you're being paid you're required to work a significantly greater number of shifts. 

Still, paid work is paid work and you still get in-I think someone on here said it wasn't actually as much work as they thought? I'd have signed up if I didn't feel guilty about giving up on my friend coming along...

29 minutes ago, AnniMB said:

I intend to 'unsubscribe' after a few days.  I have a similar experience with Greenpeace, (who I have a DD with) these days.  Only prob past couple of years it's become a nuisance.  But, this is another chance to win a ticket so I've given my £5 and will await their cal  ;  )

When they call just ask for a pair of tickets in exchange for a monthly DD ;) 

30 minutes ago, AnniMB said:

I signed one of their petitions (I haven't donated to them in a while) and they immediately started phoning me, even after I asked them to stop. Problem is it's never actually people working directly for the charity calling-it's a separate company with contract work, where the people working earn peanuts but the company takes a significant payment from the charity (and part of the money you're donating is likely to never reach the charity). 

2 minutes ago, Jennings74 said:

They can have my bank account + birth certificate if they're prepared to give me a pair of tickets...

8 minutes ago, Jennings74 said:

Thats a great idea. They didn't actually call.  They take the money from your phone account after 60 mins.  i've just had a text to say they've taken the money and Good luck in the competition.  Clever fund raising idea but it better be bloody worth it lol.  Mind you, I'd give them the price of the ticket twice if they give me a ticket.

Just now, AnniMB said:

Thats a great idea. They didn't actually call.  They take the money from your phone account after 60 mins.  i've just had a text to say they've taken the money and Good luck in the competition.  Clever fund raising idea but it better be bloody worth it lol.  Mind you, I'd give them the price of the ticket twice if they give me a ticket.

Exactly! But you can immediately opt out of donating any money, so it only charges you the standard message rate (no £5 donation), if you were struggling for cash/already give the max you can per month. They won't take any further money without an agreement, obviously, but will likely call you once every few months to ask you to donate via DD, as well as sending text updates asking you to donate further £5 'one offs'

6 minutes ago, emilyboris said:

I signed one of their petitions (I haven't donated to them in a while) and they immediately started phoning me, even after I asked them to stop. Problem is it's never actually people working directly for the charity calling-it's a separate company with contract work, where the people working earn peanuts but the company takes a significant payment from the charity (and part of the money you're donating is likely to never reach the charity). 

They can have my bank account + birth certificate if they're prepared to give me a pair of tickets...

I know.  They now declare on the phone that they're a separate company.  I just immediately tell them that I can't afford to up my monthly contribution - which is true - and that I don't like being telemarketed so can the take me off the list.  So far that's worked - not!

1 minute ago, AnniMB said:

I know.  They now declare on the phone that they're a separate company.  I just immediately tell them that I can't afford to up my monthly contribution - which is true - and that I don't like being telemarketed so can the take me off the list.  So far that's worked - not!

I wouldn't even have thought about it, except I know people who have both worked in those call centres + the door-to-door team (students trying to make any money, any time). Everyone I know who has worked for these middleman companies has quit within a few weeks, due to the nature of the work, the low pay for the work undertaken, and what they saw as an 'unfair' use of funds. 

Totally agree about the 'being taken off the list' problem. I've started using the 'block' function on my mobile phone an awful lot-if I had a landline I'd be even more irritated. 

1 hour ago, cb4747 said:

If anyone already has tickets but wants to text on my behalf please feel free, I'll pay with with a pink flamingo and a cider when I'm on site. 

I can;t do short form texts, as I'm not on a UK network. Is there a non shortform (eg proper) number to text.... and I'll happily text for you and donate... after all your hard work you truely deserve to be at the festival

1 hour ago, emilyboris said:

I wouldn't even have thought about it, except I know people who have both worked in those call centres + the door-to-door team (students trying to make any money, any time). Everyone I know who has worked for these middleman companies has quit within a few weeks, due to the nature of the work, the low pay for the work undertaken, and what they saw as an 'unfair' use of funds. 

Totally agree about the 'being taken off the list' problem. I've started using the 'block' function on my mobile phone an awful lot-if I had a landline I'd be even more irritated. 

Hadn't thought of the 'block' will use that.  Unfortunately they come through on my landline but I'm getting tougher.

4 hours ago, Katir said:

That's kind of you! :) 

Of course. It's lovely seeing people in this thread helping one another out by posting competition links etc. I very much understand the feeling of not having a ticket - I missed out in 2014 and 2015 - so this year I'm returning to Glastonbury for the first time in 3 years! 

Obviously it's very unlikely I'll win, but someone has to, and I hope it's someone on here!