Strongest and weakest sets of headliners?

VCK

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

2011 was really badly received by people, I was 19 and I remember people going on about the line up being really bad when V Festival had Eminem and The Arctic Monkeys who were both massively popular. I think that was the first year it didn't sell out quickly after a long run of doing so.

Funnily enough, from a personal point of view, I remember it as being the best line-up (probably because that's the one where I first discovered clashfinders and hence did not miss all the bands). Stupidly, I wasn't into MCR at the time and spent Saturday night between Beady Eye and Unkle. Pulp on the Sunday still stands up as one of the best gigs I have ever seen. Not into Muse but their set was really good for them, pretty much the best they'll ever be in my eyes, enjoyed it immensely. Then DFA1979, Metronomy, Warpaint, Fucked Up, Yuck, Cage The Elephant, Panic At The Disco, Jimmy Eat World. Good weekend.

i didn't go in 2011 but i remember thinking the lineup was stellar - so much stuff on there that got it just right for my personal music taste (pretty much all of what you named there plus a few more). massively regret not going

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2006 seems to be getting over looked... Franz Ferdinand were massive at that time, Muse were at their commercial peak & then there's Pearl Jam. Plus Arctic Monkeys subbed off the back of the fastest selling debut album in the UK. 

Thats two stadium bands & two of the biggest 'new' bands in the UK at that time. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

i didn't go in 2011 but i remember thinking the lineup was stellar - so much stuff on there that got it just right for my personal music taste (pretty much all of what you named there plus a few more). massively regret not going

Lot of people were well excited about The National and Interpol back to back on main, but I didn't go because I'm not indie enough to be into them.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Lot of people were well excited about The National and Interpol back to back on main, but I didn't go because I'm not indie enough to be into them.

Found Interpol to be boring as fuck, but from what I've read they were in a bad place as a band at that moment and all their shows were poor.

The National, however, I'd never listened to before seeing them at Leeds, and that performance made me fall in love with them, despite the fact hardly anyone was into it. Although they did show Fake Empire from Reading on BBC3 the night before and I remember thinking I recognised it.

And they weren't back to back, btw; Interpol were 3rd down Muse day, and The National 3rd down Strulp day.

18 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I went in 2011 but I was 14, had a shit taste in music and didn't camp. What's good about that line up is if I saw that exact line-up I'd watch an almost completely different set of acts but reckon I'd enjoy it just as much- I basically saw everyone on the main minus The National (hate myself but I did see Glassjaw so), BMTH (even then I had sense) & Interpol (I watched P!ATD don't hate me I was 14).

On 13/01/2016 at 0:47 AM, dentalplan said:

Hmm, Arctic Monkeys can only just be described as one of the biggest bands in the world so they definitely weren't in 2009, when they were perhaps entering their lowest level of popularity. Green Day were just starting to promote American Idiot when they played too, and I remember that song was massive all summer, so they definitely benefited from a resurgence before playing.

Trouble is, it's pretty difficult to look back on these and judge how strong/weak it was unless you were paying attention at the time and not thrown off by hindsight. It'd be easy to label The Darkness as a weak headliner because of how sudden it appeared and how brief they were popular but they were the biggest band in the UK at the time, and that's what they should be trying to do init.

Arctics were still a big draw back then, they had a huge crowd (even though they were shit).

True about Green Day, but bearing in mind that the line-up would have been announced around March/April of that year, before anyone would have heard American Idiot.

Good shouts on 2005 and 2008 as well. 2011 was a pretty weak one too, MCR, Pulp and The Strokes all played TITP that year and none of them headlined. In fact, The Strokes only subbed the second stage.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Arctics were still a big draw back then, they had a huge crowd (even though they were shit).

True about Green Day, but bearing in mind that the line-up would have been announced around March/April of that year, before anyone would have heard American Idiot.

Good shouts on 2005 and 2008 as well. 2011 was a pretty weak one too, MCR, Pulp and The Strokes all played TITP that year and none of them headlined. In fact, The Strokes only subbed the second stage.

Headlined the second stage but played before SHM, I think, which is pretty much equivalent to subbing main there. They were listed alongside the subs on the poster before day/stage splits, I'm sure.

15 hours ago, conroy17 said:

that T in the park 2011 was ridiculous, I can only question how they managed to afford it all.

It was fantastic and has been absolute shite ever since. I wish it had been my last one but unfortunately I bought an early bird hoping for similar the next year. What a come down culture shock that was :( They probably couldn't afford it all and are still paying.

2003 was an amazing year for Reading and Leeds lineup wise.

2008 the best year since then.

Remember so many people being pissed off about the likes of Franz and Razorlight, headlining Reading, they were not headline level, wasted spot etc.

Lots of comments about Bloc Party always coming back and ruining a good day, lots of second headliner jokes.

In my circles in Reading lots thought Biffy as a closer was very disapointing and happened too soon last time around.

Edited by siweltrebor

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2016 at 8:51 PM, siweltrebor said:

07 wasn't a stellar year but it had the best festival set I've ever seen.

Nine Inch Nails - Sunday Reading blew my mind.

Agreed, NIN were immense that year.

There was one year - 2004? - that had The Darkness headlining Saturday. Truly awful. Fiddy got bottled off, think that was the same year, oh, how we cringed for him.

There have been some shockers recently, not merely headliners, but all-round. I don't think I've been genuinely excited about the Reading line-up since what, Pearl Jam in 06? But I am a miserable old git and sooooo out of touch with new acts. :rolleyes:

I'm basing this on how it felt when announcement day came around. So I'm only basing it on when since I've been going which was 2006.

2009 felt like the strongest. Kings of Leon were on a massive roll and I was still excited about seeing them around then (although I didnt in the end what with Faith No More getting booked). Arctic Monkeys are of course huge and I had never seen them so it was pretty damn cool they were there. Then Radiohead who are of course a legendary band and for me it was at the height of my fandom for them.

2006 was a damn close second. I don't know if it was just the excitement of doing the fest but both Franz and Muse felt like huge bookings and I love both. Then Pearl Jam was just an awesome addition in that it was a band that I never dreamed of getting to see. Let alone at my first big gig.

Weakest year was 2011. The Strokes didn't feel big enough. Plus despite enjoying them I've never really got the whole hype. Pulp at the time I wasn't that familiar with. Of course I loved the hits but it took me a little while to start getting into the band properly. I loved My Chemical Romance and still do. I was chuffed they were headlining but it was hard for me to justify them headlining when they had dropped in popularity a fair bit. Unfortunately didn't see them at Reading but ah well. Then Muse didn't seem to have the same feeling as it did in 06. Was cool that they were playing Origin etc but I just wasn't as excited.

Edit: Last year was very weak also. Not bothered by Mumfords. Metallica are fantastic but I had seen them three times the year before and plenty before that. Was still chuffed they were announced. Blink I just didnt care back. So actually last year was the worst personally. Although it was a arguably a strong set of headliners size wise.

Edited by SOAD

7 minutes ago, SOAD said:

Edit: Last year was very weak also. Not bothered by Mumfords. Metallica are fantastic but I had seen them three times the year before and plenty before that. Was still chuffed they were announced. Blink I just didnt care back. So actually last year was the worst personally. Although it was a arguably a strong set of headliners size wise.

It was The Libertines, not Blink :P

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

It was The Libertines, not Blink :P

Oh crap haha... the years are starting to blend together... Ended both last year and the year before in the lockup anyway. Probably prefer Blink to Libertines so that makes last year even worse for me then.

• 3 weeks later...

Headliner wise and at the time, I remember thinking all the years from 04 - 08 had really strong headliners

04 - all 3 headliners were absolutely everywhere on radio / music channels at the time, including pop stations. American idiot, permission to land, and whatever the white stripes one was called were all massive.

05 - pixies reunion, foos on the back of in your honour, and iron maiden which was a great nostalgic booking before download became massive and had them all the damn time

06 - franz were (appallingly) really big at the time, muse had just released black holes, and getting pearl jam back was beyond awesome

07 - razor light again like franz were doing pretty well at this point but certainly the weakest I've said yet, RHCP (before the shit show) were booked on the back of stadium arcadium, and only 3 years after their acclaimed Hyde Park shows, and smashing pumpkins reunion - again, great for me. Nobody knew at the time they'd fade into nowhere again.

08 - no need to even mention, the whole damn thing was great

09 was the first year I was a bit bummed out due to the lack of variety in the headliners, but they were still massive. It's since the 10's that I've never completely understood choices but maybe that's the industry changing. Saying that, 2012 was undeniably strong, but since reunions have catapulted bands that I never even thought were that massive or cared about like blink and the strokes, it's been a bit of a shit show. Co headliners all included in this too, I understand doing it to keep new headliners in, but I think it runs the risk of not really feeling like they've headlined. Paramore and Queens especially are 2 bands that will rarely get opportunities to headline other festivals I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Best: 2013, My first year, loved all the headliners and none of them disapointed, Biffy were absolutely incredible.
Worst: 2015, all in all a good festival, but Mumford and Sons? No Thanks, The Libertines are okay, but i don't think they really deserved a headline slot, Metallica saved it from being horrific.

On 17 February 2016 at 0:43 AM, Asdaprice said:

Headliner wise and at the time, I remember thinking all the years from 04 - 08 had really strong headliners

04 - all 3 headliners were absolutely everywhere on radio / music channels at the time, including pop stations. American idiot, permission to land, and whatever the white stripes one was called were all massive.

05 - pixies reunion, foos on the back of in your honour, and iron maiden which was a great nostalgic booking before download became massive and had them all the damn time

06 - franz were (appallingly) really big at the time, muse had just released black holes, and getting pearl jam back was beyond awesome

07 - razor light again like franz were doing pretty well at this point but certainly the weakest I've said yet, RHCP (before the shit show) were booked on the back of stadium arcadium, and only 3 years after their acclaimed Hyde Park shows, and smashing pumpkins reunion - again, great for me. Nobody knew at the time they'd fade into nowhere again.

08 - no need to even mention, the whole damn thing was great

09 was the first year I was a bit bummed out due to the lack of variety in the headliners, but they were still massive. It's since the 10's that I've never completely understood choices but maybe that's the industry changing. Saying that, 2012 was undeniably strong, but since reunions have catapulted bands that I never even thought were that massive or cared about like blink and the strokes, it's been a bit of a shit show. Co headliners all included in this too, I understand doing it to keep new headliners in, but I think it runs the risk of not really feeling like they've headlined. Paramore and Queens especially are 2 bands that will rarely get opportunities to headline other festivals I think.

2009's headliners leant towards the Indie spectrum, but it was the strongest set of headliners I've seen the festival ever have. Three absolutely massive bands that could sell out any big venue they played (at the time anyway, in the case of KoL)

As mentioned 2010, despite having an immense Main Stage, had a very weak set of headliners. Axl Rose's solo project that was GnR in name only, a then unproven Arcade Fire (I still remember people wondering who they were and why they were headlining over The Libertines), and Blink 182 who arguably weren't headliner sized the first time around.

2011 had Muse who are of course one of the biggest bands in the world, and Pulp were a strong choice, but having a past-their-peak Strokes and MCR as headliners was a bit odd.

2012, again, was a very strong set. Obviously the Foos and Kasabian would headline anywhere they played and would be huge draws, but The Cure were an ambitious booking, and a bit out-of-the-box.

People didn't think 2013's headliners were strong, but Green Day and Eminem are massive. Plus Biffy by this point were more than ready to make the step-up.

Giving headline slots to Paramore and QOTSA in 2014 was a bit of a risk but by all reports they both nailed it. Arctic Monkeys were the biggest band in the world that year. Blink were an uninspiring booking but apparently better than they were in 2010.

I thought last year's headliners were pretty strong. Mumfords and Metallica are huge and it was about time that The Libertines inevitably got their headline set.

36 minutes ago, VCK said:

2009's headliners leant towards the Indie spectrum, but it was the strongest set of headliners I've seen the festival ever have. Three absolutely massive bands that could sell out any big venue they played (at the time anyway, in the case of KoL)

As mentioned 2010, despite having an immense Main Stage, had a very weak set of headliners. Axl Rose's solo project that was GnR in name only, a then unproven Arcade Fire (I still remember people wondering who they were and why they were headlining over The Libertines), and Blink 182 who arguably weren't headliner sized the first time around.

2011 had Muse who are of course one of the biggest bands in the world, and Pulp were a strong choice, but having a past-their-peak Strokes and MCR as headliners was a bit odd.

2012, again, was a very strong set. Obviously the Foos and Kasabian would headline anywhere they played and would be huge draws, but The Cure were an ambitious booking, and a bit out-of-the-box.

People didn't think 2013's headliners were strong, but Green Day and Eminem are massive. Plus Biffy by this point were more than ready to make the step-up.

Giving headline slots to Paramore and QOTSA in 2014 was a bit of a risk but by all reports they both nailed it. Arctic Monkeys were the biggest band in the world that year. Blink were an uninspiring booking but apparently better than they were in 2010.

I thought last year's headliners were pretty strong. Mumfords and Metallica are huge and it was about time that The Libertines inevitably got their headline set.

Agree on 09 - but I was used to Reading getting some variety in for those previous years and - not liking AM or KOL, I remember being a bit disappointed. But it was still an amazing year and THANK GOD for Faith No More.

Agree with everything pretty much. I guess saying 13 was strong is fair, it was the 1st time Green Day and Eminem had been back in ages and SOAD played so definitely not a bad top of the lineup 

2014, granted they both did well, but I don't believe they will necessarily headline again. Great performances but not festival headliners across the board, potentially for RnL if they want their own unique exclusives.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Metallica are not the biggest band in the world wtf

Aren't they? They're pretty close to it if not. Huge tours every summer sell out pretty much instantly, no matter what country, a constant stream of new merchandise constantly which always does well on their store. Just over three million Twitter followers (more than any of this year's headliners, take out RHCP or FB and it's more than the other four combined), and they're the seventh most liked band on Facebook (one of the six with more is The Beatles). It's impossible to define "biggest band in the world", but Metallica are pretty fucking close to it, and the majority of the other "biggest" are the likes of Little Mix and One Direction, who obviously aren't going to headline Reading And Leeds.

18 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Aren't they? They're pretty close to it if not. Huge tours every summer sell out pretty much instantly, no matter what country, a constant stream of new merchandise constantly which always does well on their store. Just over three million Twitter followers (more than any of this year's headliners, take out RHCP or FB and it's more than the other four combined), and they're the seventh most liked band on Facebook (one of the six with more is The Beatles). It's impossible to define "biggest band in the world", but Metallica are pretty fucking close to it, and the majority of the other "biggest" are the likes of Little Mix and One Direction, who obviously aren't going to headline Reading And Leeds.

The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac and other older bands are bigger.

In terms of more modern bands the likes of Coldplay, Foo Fighters and probably Muse are bigger.

But as you say it's very hard to determine.

48 minutes ago, Asdaprice said:

Agree on 09 - but I was used to Reading getting some variety in for those previous years and - not liking AM or KOL, I remember being a bit disappointed. But it was still an amazing year and THANK GOD for Faith No More.

Agree with everything pretty much. I guess saying 13 was strong is fair, it was the 1st time Green Day and Eminem had been back in ages and SOAD played so definitely not a bad top of the lineup 

2014, granted they both did well, but I don't believe they will necessarily headline again. Great performances but not festival headliners across the board, potentially for RnL if they want their own unique exclusives.

I think Paramore will definitely be back to fully headline in the next few years. QOTSA have always been more of a cult act though, but they could too if their next album does well.

• 3 weeks later...