Y NOT FESTIVAL 2016

MommaSoph

On 04/05/2016 at 0:56 PM, BeddingatReading said:

Can anyone recommend any smaller bands for me to check out? Apart from Kassssin Street I don't have anyone to see before 5 on any of the days! Also are we expecting someone else to close the Quarry on Sunday because on the lineup planner it says Blossoms finish at 20:45 but on the other days the headliners finish at 22:15? 

Milk Teeth is another one worth checking out.

Has anyone found a comprehensive playlist of the full line-up?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any experience of taken kids to Y Not Festival? Considering the festival with my two daughters who are 5 and 10, bit of a journey from central Scotland but line up v cost makes it worth while. This will be their 3rd festival having done Electric Fields and Belladrum so not knew to them.

As for bands before 5pm - WHITE on the Friday have a buzz about them in Glasgow/Scottish scene,  Eliza and the Bear on Saturday are good live. 

So, We were trying to plan our assault on Ynot next month and hit upon a snag.

We are but 2 of us and are needing to take stuff to the camp site from the car. 

I am aware of the Booze Rules so i emailed the info office for advice.

They have basically told me that we need to take all booze for the weekend on first trip as no more will be allowed in.

To us this means, (trying to) getting our tent and 6 x 15 strongbow to the campsite on first trip, build tent then leave said cider un guarded in our tent while popping back to the car for more kit. 

Is this not ideal picking for any under 18s that were not allowed to take booze in, but still happy to 'do what it takes' to get some??

Surely there is a better way of dealing with this? Issue 3 tickets per person and let them redeem them upon entry with one or more of the allowed items?

Any thoughts???

6 hours ago, Dazoodo07 said:

They have basically told me that we need to take all booze for the weekend on first trip as no more will be allowed in.

To us this means, (trying to) getting our tent and 6 x 15 strongbow to the campsite on first trip, build tent then leave said cider un guarded in our tent while popping back to the car for more kit. 

Is this not ideal picking for any under 18s that were not allowed to take booze in, but still happy to 'do what it takes' to get some??

Surely there is a better way of dealing with this? Issue 3 tickets per person and let them redeem them upon entry with one or more of the allowed items?

Any thoughts???

You are going to have that issue if you are thinking like that at any given time you are in the arena. You just have to trust people around you. Everyone festival is the same, everyone sees people arriving with their stock.

On 6/3/2016 at 1:56 PM, Dazoodo07 said:

Any thoughts???

Well, what are you planning on doing for the rest of the weekend?  Unless you are planning on drinking your entire stash the first night, or take it in turns going to see bands, then you are going to have to leave it "unguarded" at some point!  

You could of course take bitter instead.  The yoof don't like that stuff :-)

Seriously, you'll be fine.

Everyone is in the same boat.  I can't imagine hordes of 16/17 yr olds going on a rampage through tents looking for booze.  For one thing they will probably be off heir tits, this limit will only having served to encourage them to smuggle in large amounts of clear spirits (or worse), putting their health and general well being at much more risk that a few cans of cider would have done!

On 5/28/2016 at 4:20 PM, Cocky19 said:

Anyone have any experience of taken kids to Y Not Festival? Considering the festival with my two daughters who are 5 and 10, bit of a journey from central Scotland but line up v cost makes it worth while. This will be their 3rd festival having done Electric Fields and Belladrum so not knew to them.

As for bands before 5pm - WHITE on the Friday have a buzz about them in Glasgow/Scottish scene,  Eliza and the Bear on Saturday are good live. 

I haven't taken my children to any Festivals yet... But Y Not will be the 1st, they are 2 and 9 months, from my previous experiences of the festival it seems like a good choice for our 1st one with the kids, we have family campsite tickets so looking forward to it

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2016 at 2:52 PM, AldoTVAOF said:

Anybody know if there are many more acts to be confirmed?  Black Honey self-confirmed but have not yet been announced by the festival so assuming there is still a couple of announcements left!

Well spotted. I thought the line up was final but Ynot is definitely on the Black Honey website.

Really enjoyed them last year.  

I had a look at the clashfinder though and there arent many gaps for additional bands unless late on.

On 27/06/2016 at 0:14 PM, Ryan17 said:

so has the alcohol ban been lifted?

Thats how I read this,

"Protecting our festival-goers is our biggest priority.

Reducing the risks of underage drinking is critical to achieving this.

Over 18s are allowed to bring enough alcohol on site for themselves. Re-entry with alcohol IS permitted provided it is for you, not for distribution.

Text in – we have set up a text in number so you can let us know discretely if you spot any issues.

Empower the people – we’ve set up Campsite Safety Net, a system that encourages you to look out for your neighbours and report anything you’re unhappy about to a member of the security team.

Care team – we’ve doubled our welfare provision to improve the care and security provision in the campsites. These teams are dedicated to the safety of under U18s

Take action – where Over 18s are found supplying alcohol to under 18s, we will take action. Vulnerable young people are our priority, we take this extremely seriously and we need to do this to protect them. This may result in prosecution by the police."

21 hours ago, ciderbus said:

Well spotted. I thought the line up was final but Ynot is definitely on the Black Honey website.

Really enjoyed them last year.  

I had a look at the clashfinder though and there arent many gaps for additional bands unless late on.

Fronteers have also self-confirmed on their Facebook.  Both them and Black Honey have said they're playing the Friday.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Anyone got any experience of the VIP camping at Y Not? Not expecting it to completely justify the £50 but any ideas if it vaguely resembles the description?

As far as I'm aware the VIP is new?  I maybe wrong though.  I'm not sure about the camping field itself. But looks like the site is expanding a bit this year. 

It's basically what you get if you are press accredited. The bar at the side of stage, a gazebo above your head with sofas, and decent toilets.

The toilets and sofas maybe worth it alone! Haha 

Hey, I'm new to the festival and have a few questions. 

How far is the campsite to the main arena and how big is the main arena? Like from the main stage to the second stage. Is there any sort of site map anywhere? Looked on their website and couldn't find anything. 

How strict are the searches going into the arena? I won't be taking in anything illegal or anything like that, just want to take a can or two of beer in, unless the bar is decently priced? Oh and how bad is the queue to get in on the Friday? 

4 hours ago, craigb said:

As far as I'm aware the VIP is new?  I maybe wrong though.  I'm not sure about the camping field itself. But looks like the site is expanding a bit this year. 

It's basically what you get if you are press accredited. The bar at the side of stage, a gazebo above your head with sofas, and decent toilets.

The toilets and sofas maybe worth it alone! Haha 

Ah didn't know it was a new addition. My first time at Y Not this year. Will take my chances!

On 05/07/2016 at 8:19 PM, BeddingatReading said:

Hey, I'm new to the festival and have a few questions. 

How far is the campsite to the main arena and how big is the main arena? Like from the main stage to the second stage. Is there any sort of site map anywhere? Looked on their website and couldn't find anything. 

How strict are the searches going into the arena? I won't be taking in anything illegal or anything like that, just want to take a can or two of beer in, unless the bar is decently priced? Oh and how bad is the queue to get in on the Friday? 

The site is not massive. Most you'll walk is prob 15 mins. 

The "arena" area is normally split into two. With the main stage and most of the eating areas in one. And tent stages and night entertainment in other. 

There are stewards at both entrances. It's very much hit and miss sneaking cans in. Best time is high traffic when a band finishes on the main stage or about to start.  

But there has been a few changes this year and expecting the site to be expanded a little. Some new areas/stages. They'll release a map soon. 

The bar and food prices are average festival prices. But the beer on offer is very good. Not just tuborg shite. 

Went on Friday past year arrived early afternoon barely any queue. 

2 hours ago, craigb said:

The site is not massive. Most you'll walk is prob 15 mins. 

The "arena" area is normally split into two. With the main stage and most of the eating areas in one. And tent stages and night entertainment in other. 

There are stewards at both entrances. It's very much hit and miss sneaking cans in. Best time is high traffic when a band finishes on the main stage or about to start.  

But there has been a few changes this year and expecting the site to be expanded a little. Some new areas/stages. They'll release a map soon. 

The bar and food prices are average festival prices. But the beer on offer is very good. Not just tuborg shite. 

Went on Friday past year arrived early afternoon barely any queue. 

All sounds good to me then! What's the atmosphere like? With them having to introduce the alcohol limits (which obviously now they've ditched) it's made me worry that it's full of dodgy teenagers causing trouble which isn't really what I want, I just want to be able to chill out and not have to worry about kn0bheads causing trouble. 

While we are on question time. 

Wonder if anyone can help me.  I was wondering how far the walk will be from car park to camp site, I understand it depends on where we park and where we camp.  But a general would be nice, been to Kendal Calling passed few years and the hill is a killer, would like to be prepared if I am facing such a challenge later in the month...

Thank you.

Ps. 3 weeks today...... Roll on!!!

I have a question if anyone can answer it. I live local so I'm not camping and I want to see The Coral on Thursday do I have to get the Early entry ticket or can I just get away with my regular weekend ticket?

Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

All sounds good to me then! What's the atmosphere like? With them having to introduce the alcohol limits (which obviously now they've ditched) it's made me worry that it's full of dodgy teenagers causing trouble which isn't really what I want, I just want to be able to chill out and not have to worry about kn0bheads causing trouble. 

Don't worry about that. I've found the Y Not festival friendlier than Glasto in the past. Nothing like Reading/Leeds or V. Although they must have an underage drinking problem to introduce the limit, it's barely noticeable. And will totally depend on the acts and stages at. 

The smaller stages are really chill  

1 hour ago, Dazoodo07 said:

While we are on question time. 

Wonder if anyone can help me.  I was wondering how far the walk will be from car park to camp site, I understand it depends on where we park and where we camp.  But a general would be nice, been to Kendal Calling passed few years and the hill is a killer, would like to be prepared if I am facing such a challenge later in the month...

Thank you.

Ps. 3 weeks today...... Roll on!!!

The site is not massive

and consider Y Not capacity is about 10,000 less than kendal. It's a fairly flat site when it comes to the car park and arena. I think one of the campsites is on a slight hill. But can't help much with that, not the passes I get.