Alternative To iTunes

Guest mrtourette

Alll this guff about the new U2 record has got me thinking about alternatives to iTunes. Is there one?

Obviously I know there are other mp3 players other than Apple products, and that podcasts and purchases can be downloaded onto an mp3 players as if it were an external drive. But is there another alternative in the sense of having the interface that lists all music and podcasts that can be put onto a player or where you can create playlists, view artwork and burn discs rather than just moving files between boxes on a laptop?

I'm not sure what you're asking?

Most media players can do all of those things. iTunes (from using it on others', I refuse to install it) doesn't really have any special features apart from syncing better with iPods, iPads and all other iProducts that iPeople obsessively buy.

I hadn't really considered a standard media player for all that in one. Basically I want to know if I can be lazy and ditch iTunes without creating any extra work and everything being as easy as it is now or whether I'd need a variety of different things (as Neil mentioned).

I hadn't really considered a standard media player for all that in one. Basically I want to know if I can be lazy and ditch iTunes without creating any extra work and everything being as easy as it is now or whether I'd need a variety of different things (as Neil mentioned).

I use foobar, it doesn't have album artwork in it (at least by default, I think you can download a mod for it), but it's very easy to use and customise. Making and saving playlists is a piece of piss, but rip+burn is a hassle.

Generally, I reckon the best setup involves a dedicated rip-burn program for CDs and then a media player. Windows media player is pretty comparable to iTunes in that it can do all of it without being too awkward but is kinda shit and a bit slow. Most others now have gone for doing one or the other though.

a variety of different things (as Neil mentioned).

I'm trying to be far too clever for my own good, I'm probably best ignored. :P

I have two* full copies of my music library, one on my office server and one one a shared network disk. The network disk has a media server which is then used to stream the music to devices or to copy to devices.

(*actually, four. It's all backed-up to 2 of the efests servers as well).

Any 'work' I do with the music files - adding, deleting, moving, re-tagging - is done on the office server, and then the new/changed files are mirrored to the network disk along with the relevant deletions.

For a variety of reasons it's easier for me to create playlists against my working copy - and then from a saved playlist, I can create playlists to work from the media server or to be used from a phone/tablet.

It's all a bit madly over-complicated and unnecessary, but some of it was very useful for me to create when I re-ripped all my music at 320kbps a few years back and often ended up with slightly different directory &/or filenames that then had to be changed within playlists. Having created these things I've built on them.

I quite like WMP, its not really worse than Itunes that isn't better I guess :P

Mostly I use Spotify now, and just use local search for stuff that I have thats not on it :P

I guess it depends if you have iDevices or not really? Do you need the store to?

Winamp is still downloadable from various places, seems Radionomy actually brought it when AOL when closed it down and before spotify was my go to media app but to get it as you want, you will need to download a few skins. So not sure what the official latest version would be like.

I do have an iPod but I'm happy to buy a different mp3 player, I think the only thing I've ever bought form the store was the Sound City film when it was only available there so I could probably live without it.

Plus my wife will probably still use iTunes so if I decide there's something worth abandoning my principles for she can buy it :P

I use foobar, it doesn't have album artwork in it (at least by default, I think you can download a mod for it), but it's very easy to use and customise. Making and saving playlists is a piece of piss, but rip+burn is a hassle.

Generally, I reckon the best setup involves a dedicated rip-burn program for CDs and then a media player. Windows media player is pretty comparable to iTunes in that it can do all of it without being too awkward but is kinda shit and a bit slow. Most others now have gone for doing one or the other though.

Yeah that's what I thought, I used to use different programmes for everything but as annoying as it is iTunes is pretty convenient and user-friendly. I guess I'll just have to do some work in figuring what pieces to bring together to cover all the bases. I'll definitely check foobar out though.

you might as well get yourself any new-ish phone.

only if you're not bothered about how much music you want available, and if you're not worried about your phone needing to be charged 2 or 3 times a day

Yeah that's what I thought, I used to use different programmes for everything but as annoying as it is iTunes is pretty convenient and user-friendly. I guess I'll just have to do some work in figuring what pieces to bring together to cover all the bases. I'll definitely check foobar out though.

I really like foobar. Supposedly it can sync with iProducts as well, but I don't have one so can't guarantee that.

I use itunes but only because I've got an ipod. I've never bought anything off itunes, so dont really see a problem using it. Am I missing something??

Basically it's really hard to get rid of, it uses more RAM than most other music programs, and it's generally inefficient. It's not a terrible program, but it is incredibly annoying if you ever decide you want to use something else instead.

I use itunes but only because I've got an ipod. I've never bought anything off itunes, so dont really see a problem using it. Am I missing something??

Only you can decide that. If you don't see an issue then by your standards/values there probably isn't one.

I used media monkey for a bit, it even handles ipods apparently, but it just wasnt as intuitive. I think if you want a really simple media management system - itunes is fairly good. I know all the apple bashers will hoot from the hills at me for that, but I dont care. It has certain restrictions and drawbacks, but once you know it and understand what you can and can't do - its fine.

I have itunes on my work PC that I use because I run my ipod classic every day for podcasts etc. I also have itunes with a fairly similar library at home, but most of our home music is now spotified through the sonos system, so I dont really have the need any more on the home PC.

I'm not an Apple-basher, I just find some of the ways they operate to be distasteful and I'd rather not be part of it. It won't change anything but I might feel more at ease with myself. Same reason why I don't use google, which is annoying as it's become clear to me through not using it that it's probably the best search engine out there, or buy from Amazon, which can be frustrating as if there's something out there that I need/want you can be sure as shit that if nowhere else sells it then at least Amazon does. If we need anything and Amazon is the best place I make my better half get it, which means the whole explanation of why I don't use Amazon again and the 'you're a fucking idiot' look I get afterwards.

Anyway as tayman says iTunes (as with google and Amazon) is very good at what it does, I'm just looking for the next best thing I guess.

Edited by mrtourette