Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Travelling to Bestival 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
217 replies to this topic

#141 Dog Burger

Dog Burger

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Damn, I dont have any clubcard points. I have points from Valued Opinions, which I can turn into Tesco voucher cards in multiples of £10, but it sounds as if they won't be any use in this case. Balls.

#142 glasto_mongrel_2008

glasto_mongrel_2008

As the days get longer the festivals get closer!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Booked my flights just now from Glasgow - Southampton, cost £100 all in.

Flying down Wednesday morning, staying at Waverley Campsite overnight.

And then back to Waverley on the Monday afternoon, then fly back home Tuesday afternoon.

:)

Naomi and I shall be joining you at Waverley both before and after the festival. Probably get the train same as last year, direct train, nice and easy :)

#143 Paul

Paul

lives in a field

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Naomi and I shall be joining you at Waverley both before and after the festival. Probably get the train same as last year, direct train, nice and easy :)

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:D

#144 glasto_mongrel_2008

glasto_mongrel_2008

As the days get longer the festivals get closer!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:D

I'd imagine we'll find some way to go to Alchemy too, so we could do same drill as last year, hopefully that beer festival will be on the same dates again :D

#145 Paul

Paul

lives in a field

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Problem is that Alchemy isn't the week directly after Bestival this year, it's 2 weeks after! haha

#146 adequate8

adequate8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

can anyone give any info on the big green coach? Looking at that from Manchester...

#147 mattrik3

mattrik3

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Without even checking these forums I managed to book the exact same flights from Glasgow as you lot...went for the cheapest yes? lol

I was gonna get a cheap hotel for the night before and night after but will just crash the party at the campsite if you lot don't mind? :)

How much were the flights? which airline did u use?

#148 Dog Burger

Dog Burger

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

can anyone give any info on the big green coach? Looking at that from Manchester...

Having looked it up, travelling from Bristol, it's a big Green rip-off. £75 per person for a 100-mile journey!

#149 DJL

DJL

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

Repeat post

Edited by DJL, 24 March 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#150 DJL

DJL

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Read the entire thread but still not certain - only coming from west london. I'm volunteering for oxfam so going down on the wednesday but back on monday... so my main aim is to avoid ferry chaos that day. Would be nice to take car at least part of the way so i can take more luggage/beer. Happy to leave early on monday but doubt i'll be able to drive first thing. So thinking about leaving the car near a ferry terminal to try and get the best of both worlds...
A couple of people have spoken about parking near ferry terminals - anyone else done this?

#151 mikeandgent

mikeandgent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

I've just booked tickets last night with my fiance, really looking forward to it :) The only thing is we need to get a move on coming home to Manchester as we're watching the 20/20. We've booked the 730AM ferry off the island and was aiming to be in our car for 6 or just after, has anyone does this or similar? Will we need to allow more time, or do you think 6AM will be OK to leave the site? thanks in advance for any replies!

#152 tjamest

tjamest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I've just booked tickets last night with my fiance, really looking forward to it :) The only thing is we need to get a move on coming home to Manchester as we're watching the 20/20. We've booked the 730AM ferry off the island and was aiming to be in our car for 6 or just after, has anyone does this or similar? Will we need to allow more time, or do you think 6AM will be OK to leave the site? thanks in advance for any replies!

That should be fine - at that time you should be able to just drive off the site and it shouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes the ferry. Even if you do miss that one they will let you on the next

#153 Yoghurt on a Stick

Yoghurt on a Stick

lives in a field

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've driven from Birmingham to Bestival twice now via Lymington and never had a hold up, except when approaching the festival site itself. Maybe I was just lucky. Going again this year so could do with an unbroken run of good luck.

#154 snowdragon

snowdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I live right opposite the Isle of Wight I never thought but wondered if I could charge for people to use my spare rooms to make some ££ for those who come to Bestival and stay before it starts.

I want to go to Bestival but don't know if to Camp possibly using Tangerine Fields or simply commute each day as The ferry terminal is close to me.

Edited by snowdragon, 09 April 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#155 kaosmark2

kaosmark2

Elitist hipster supervillian

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I live right opposite the Isle of Wight I never thought but wondered if I could charge for people to use my spare rooms to make some ££ for those who come to Bestival and stay before it starts.

I want to go to Bestival but don't know if to Camp possibly using Tangerine Fields or simply commute each day as The ferry terminal is close to me.

Camping at Bestival is much more civilised than it is at many other festivals. Given that there's stuff going on right through the night and bands don't finish in the big top until 3 or so I'd camp.

#156 snowdragon

snowdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Camping at Bestival is much more civilised than it is at many other festivals. Given that there's stuff going on right through the night and bands don't finish in the big top until 3 or so I'd camp.

Thanks! I dont know if to pack a tent or just a bag and travel light and hire a tent at Tangerine Fields. Never been to Bestival but have found out that because I am disabled I get a free partner ticket so it's really good value pay for one ticket get one free. Now need to find someone who wants to go as well.

#157 loosechange

loosechange

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Finally got around to booking ferry tickets, £42 each way with Wightlink - in other words, in total less than a one way crossing with Red Funnel back on the Tuesday previously - can't help thinking I've messed up the booking somehow! :huh:

#158 De Coverley

De Coverley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hello!

After a lot of umming and ahhhing it looks like I will be coming be Bestival! Just need to figure out travel from Bristol now. And get the time off work. And buy a ticket. Details, details...

I will be training it down I expect so like the look of the Waverley campsite on the Wednesday/Monday night to avoid the rush and break the journey up a bit. And see everyone before the festival starts properly. Am I right in thinking I don't need to book the campsite? Won't take long to get from Bristol to Soton so would be good to meet up with people before the ferry if possible.

Anyway, big whoops all round! Will try and pop my head into the forums a bit more often to keep up to date.

#159 coma girl

coma girl

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Am I right in thinking I don't need to book the campsite? Won't take long to get from Bristol to Soton so would be good to meet up with people before the ferry if possible.

I'm also doing the waverly on Wednesday and Monday as I'm travelling a long way. They don't accept bookings for those dates so I rang up to find out as I was concerned about there not being room but the lady I spoke to said that they have never ran out of space so we'll be fine just turning up on the day :)

#160 CallumMc

CallumMc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hmmm. Looking at train/ferry/shuttle. Seems the cheapest I can do ferry for is £40 for a return, train will be around £30/£40, and then the shuttle bus on top of that.

Therefore it looks like the Big green bus for £79 is my best bet.. is this right? Am I missing something?