End of the road festival 2008

Guest zahidf

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a lovely relaxed little festival, there's plenty of places to go wandering off, plenty going on. Great beer, food, facilities and especially sound. Never that hard to see - other than sometimes getting into the smallest tent.

As for a 16 year old - he'd probably need to like at least some of the music! But it would be kinda ideal in that it's an environment that just makes you feel confident and free.

I went for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. If you like Hinson and the Rev, I can only assume that you'll appreciate most of the music at the festival. Very few skinny jeans type NME bands. Lots of new and old quality bands that might get the reviews, but don't always get the hype. Think Mojo and Uncut, rather than Q and NME music wise.

It's very laid back, to the point where I actually felt refreshed for the first time after coming home from a fest. If I had to pin it down, it's like some of the best bits of The Park, The Avalon, The Left Field and the Acoustic Stage at Glastonbury rinsed of mud and 130,000 people, taken on an old-style road trip from Nashville to Portland, then returned to the gorgeous British countryside with a slightly craggier face than when it left. And they serve Leffe - which is delicious, but damaging.

For a 16 year old? I reckon it'd be a great intro to the festival world, but if he's into more mainstream stuff (which is fair enough) he might not take to it quite so much. Good idea to give him a few CDs.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. It's just a really great little festy, that's all.

thanks for the info. I'll give him a few cds to listen to and let him decide for himself. whats the after hours entertainment like at eotr? saw that the line up went on till two but was wondering what sort of stuff it was.

Hello all....

I've been looking on various message boards....just to confirm that it is Conor Oberst not 'bright eyes' who is playing end of the road. basically i think the deal is when Mike Moggis is playing, it is bright eyes, without Moggis it isn't. As Moggis isnt on the new record it will be a Conor Show. However, looking at set lists of past shows i think there has been a few 'reworked' covers....

Also keep your eyes peeled. I spoke to Sofia at last nights Young Republic show at the borderline, and it looks like there will be a new announcement of a few names in the last few days of the month...so not long to go now.

In the meantime, for those going to the great escape ( im a brighton boy, see), may i recommend:

The Young Republic (half hour acoustic lunchtime set 12.15 Horatio's Bar at the end of the pier on the 17th.

The Pack AD (at the freebutt friday and Ark saturday) 4/5 UNCUT magazine, like a female black keys

Bon Iver- whereever he is playing- Top singer songwriter, UNCUT's album of the month,

Sunset Rubdown (Spencer Krug's non-wolf parade project's first UK show

Mary Hampton - You owe it to yourself to go and see her, even if just for her cole porter cover.

That is all for now...

Ok, the official release will happen some time later today.....but as y'all waited so nicely, and came to see the YR.....(those who could)....

how about these new names for you:

Richard Hawley

Bon Iver

Congregation

Cate Le Bon

Emily Louzeau

Liz Green

Peter and the wolf (us)

Zombie Zombie

Noah and the Whale and

David Thomas Broughton ( of course!)

And there is still at least one name to come.......

so..your thoughts? Hope this pleases some people

r

Ok, the official release will happen some time later today.....but as y'all waited so nicely, and came to see the YR.....(those who could)....

how about these new names for you:

Richard Hawley

Bon Iver

Congregation

Cate Le Bon

Emily Louzeau

Liz Green

Peter and the wolf (us)

Zombie Zombie

Noah and the Whale and

David Thomas Broughton ( of course!)

And there is still at least one name to come.......

so..your thoughts? Hope this pleases some people

r

Edited by Swindlebiscuit