NEXT GEN CONSOLES

Guest tHomBleached

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portal 2 and From Dust are great. Portal 2 is just a joy, everything is flawless.

I'm a little underwhelmed by Deus Ex 3 so far though. The voice acting is utter shit (stupid growling Batman voice) and some of the dialogue is just bad (when the character is told he looks good with his new augmentations, he comes out with "I didn't ask for any of this" in the most clichéd typical Hollywood 'oh woe is me I'm an amazing superhero my life sucks I just want to be mediocre' manner).

Hate the perspective on the camera too, it feels like it's permanently in 'iron-sights' mode, like the characters eyes are stuck in zoom mode or his eyes are on stalks 2 feet ahead of his head, they really should just stick to fish-eye perspectives for FPS games in order to simulate peripheral vision - what they've done here does not work, I feel like I'm a cameraman rather than a human being.

It's all a bit sub-Mass Effect.

Just back from my hols in Montreal, it really is cool what the government has done with regards to the game industry over there, got chatting to a guy from EA in a bar and the industry really seems to be booming, great city too.

In other news just started the Witcher 2, loving it so far, wicked sense of humour and one of the best looking games I think I've seen.

Soundtrack announced for fifa 12, always awesome

Alex Metric & Steve Angello – 'Open Your Eyes'

All Mankind – 'Break The Spell'

Architecture In Helsinki – 'Escapee'

Bloco Bleque/Gabriel O Pensador – 'So Tem Jogador'

Chase & Status – 'No Problem'

Crystal Castles feat. Robert Smith – 'Not In Love'

CSS – 'Hits Me Like A Rock'

Cut Copy – 'Where I'm Going'

Digitalism – 'Circles'

DJ Raff – 'Latino & Proud'

El Guincho – 'Bombay (Fresh Touch Dub Mix)'

Empresarios – 'Sabor Tropical'

Foster The People – 'Call It What You Want'

Givers – 'Up Up Up'

Glasvegas – 'The World Is Yours'

Graffiti6 – 'Stare Into The Sun'

Grouplove – 'Colours (Captain Cutz Remix)'

Japanese Popstars – 'Let Go'

Kasabian – 'Switchblade Smiles'

La Vida Boheme – 'El Buen Salvaje'

Little Dragon – 'NightLight'

Macaco – 'Una Sola Voz'

Marteria/Yasha – 'Verstrahlt'

Monarchy – 'The Phoenix Alive (Kris Menace Remix)'

Pint Shot Riot – 'Twisted Soul'

Portugal. The Man – 'Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)'

Rock Mafia – 'The Big Bang'

Spank Rock – 'Energy'

The Chain Gang Of 1974 – 'Hold On'

The Hives – 'Thousand Answers'

The Medics – 'City'

The Naked & Famous – 'Punching In A Dream'

The Strokes – 'Machu Picchu'

The Ting Tings – 'Hands'

The Vaccines – 'Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra)'

Thievery Corporation – 'Stargazer'

Tittsworth & Alvin Risk/Maluca – 'La Campana'

TV On The Radio – 'Will Do'

Tying Tiffany – 'Drownin'

Finally finished gears of war 2. and whilst I found it a bit of a grind a lot of the time, the set pieces and "different sections" where very very good. had to finish it so I could move on to GoW3 today, im trading some old shite in, gamestation are doing trade ANY 2 360 games in for a tenner off. should tide me over until...

BATTLEFIELD 3 OPEN BETA BEGINS SEPT 29, UNTIL OCT 10 - ON ALL FORMATS. I.cannot.fucking.wait.

You think that's a good deal?

41800_2200308149_9526_n.jpg

Huh.

I'd honestly rather keep the games in my collection than trade in for ten pound that you'll give back to gamewhoever anyway, give them the chance to make 3x that back in profit, and further erode the balance sheets of games developers.

I traded in Brutal legend, which is worth £3, and gears 2 (£4) - so its not too bad a deal. you can also buy games from them at 99p and use them in the trade. as it happened, i traded portal2, mortal kombat and cod2, got gears3 for nowt, and came out with 18.50 on a store credit, so I'm well happy.

I also dont subscribe to the whole "game collection" ethos, loads of neatly sorted yet tattyplastic cases on a shelf are not a source of self satisfaction to me, ditto with dvds, blurays and cds. I firmly believe people only have these collections so other like minded people say "wow" or "woo" when they see it, I'd arther have a clutter free room.

I'll only keep a game if I plan on playing it again. a few weeks ago I traded in LA Noire for £20 as there was no chance I'd ever go back to it. Then again there's games like GTA IV that I may go back and play again so I'll keep it.

As for other media, I suppose it's different now thatyou can back evcerything up but when I was a teenager and needed cash (For Cider, Cigarettes etc....you know) I traded in a load of CD's becasue I went of that genre of music, a few years later I got back into it and had to buy all the CD's again. i was rather pissed off.

also forgot to add, I got 400 free mspoints with that gow3 deal too.

little review.

wow, I'm impressed.

I struggled to finish gow 1 & 2, the clichéd dialogue and macho bullshit grated on me, and the "whack a mole" mechanic of most FPS's these days, coupled with the fact that on GOW it takes over a full clip of ammo to put down the most common enemy made them both a real grind for me. and the clunky, heavy feeling controls also made it a drain.

but

gow3 feels sleeker, looks better - the colour pallet has been extended dramatically. Its not the perfect game, but its certainly the best of the gows, as it should be. there are some nice touches - such as holding LB to see where your objective is and where your squad are.

roadie running is faster, and much easier to turn left or right

the enemy go down quicker, and the lancer feels a bit more heavy duty than it has in the past. I found myself able to run into groups of enemy and take them down rather than shooting from cover most of the time, your character model actually feels a little - dare I say it?- nimble!

I'm only just into act 2, but the first act was a real blast, with only a bit of a lull where the schmaltz got a bit too heavy.

if this exact game existed in its own right, without all of the baggage that goes with a GOW game, a hell of a lot more sites would have given it 9's and 10's.

I never liked gears MP, I loved horde in 2, but its fucking rock hard here. I play it alone (which isnt the way it should be played I know) and struggled to get past wave 4 last night, more practice and maybe dropping the difficulty to easy might make it more workable for me.

all in all its an incredibly well made and feature heavy game, worthy of a lot more praise than it will ever likely get, and not really deserving of the sneers it does get.

we'll see if finishing it is a pleasure, or a grind.....

Edited by t8yman

also forgot to add, I got 400 free mspoints with that gow3 deal too.

little review.

wow, I'm impressed.

I struggled to finish gow 1 & 2, the clichéd dialogue and macho bullshit grated on me, and the "whack a mole" mechanic of most FPS's these days, coupled with the fact that on GOW it takes over a full clip of ammo to put down the most common enemy made them both a real grind for me. and the clunky, heavy feeling controls also made it a drain.

but

gow3 feels sleeker, looks better - the colour pallet has been extended dramatically. Its not the perfect game, but its certainly the best of the gows, as it should be. there are some nice touches - such as holding LB to see where your objective is and where your squad are.

roadie running is faster, and much easier to turn left or right

the enemy go down quicker, and the lancer feels a bit more heavy duty than it has in the past. I found myself able to run into groups of enemy and take them down rather than shooting from cover most of the time, your character model actually feels a little - dare I say it?- nimble!

I'm only just into act 2, but the first act was a real blast, with only a bit of a lull where the schmaltz got a bit too heavy.

if this exact game existed in its own right, without all of the baggage that goes with a GOW game, a hell of a lot more sites would have given it 9's and 10's.

I never liked gears MP, I loved horde in 2, but its fucking rock hard here. I play it alone (which isnt the way it should be played I know) and struggled to get past wave 4 last night, more practice and maybe dropping the difficulty to easy might make it more workable for me.

all in all its an incredibly well made and feature heavy game, worthy of a lot more praise than it will ever likely get, and not really deserving of the sneers it does get.

we'll see if finishing it is a pleasure, or a grind.....