Books

Guest chappiepunk

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, when I worked there I tried to get American Psycho onto the 'staff recommend' cards that get dotted around. Strangely, it wasn't quite what they were looking for.

Currently; Charlie Brookers Dawn of the Dumb and Glamorama

Last Book; Music of the Primes (masters dissertation)

Favourite author; Kerouac

Favourite book; Catch 22

Can't read; anything too fantasy based. Or quite a few of the 'classics'.

Currently reading: A Crack in the Edge of the world. About the San Francisco earthquake. Bit heavy on the science, but still readable

Last Book: Paddling the Pacific by Paul Theroux. Big fan of his travel writing, not so much his fiction

Author: John Irving

Favourite Book. Impossible to choose

Cant read: Tolkein. Just awful

Catch 22 is an awesome book and is also one of my favourites. Have you read any other Heller? I tried to read Closing Time but couldn't get into it.

I would also have to agree about Kerouac. Given that we appear to have similar tastes can you recommend any other authors? I reckon you would like Charles Bukowski and John Fante

I tried, and I did enjoy it at the start....I just got a bit fed up of all the boys school talk. It's my own fault really, I'd wanted to learn more of his bi-polar, and hadn't realised Moab was an autobiography only of his first 20 years. Perhaps now I know what it's about I'll read it another time.
Edited by worm

Comedy, wit, linguistic magic and philosophy. That's what that book's about. His own life is just a superficial context really. It's all about his insights. Someone who can actually tell anecdotes without being an illiterate nobody with a crap ghost writer.

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or are 'classics' generally shite, or over-rated at the very least?

The Wasp Factory - I worked out the ending :angry:

The Catcher in The Rye - If you're going to write a book about someone having some sort of nervous break down, can you please actually make it feel like that's what it is?!

Please please please can someone recommend me a DECENT classic?

I'm currently reading The Red Room by Nikki French.

Is it just me or are 'classics' generally shite, or over-rated at the very least?

The Wasp Factory - I worked out the ending :angry:

The Catcher in The Rye - If you're going to write a book about someone having some sort of nervous break down, can you please actually make it feel like that's what it is?!

Please please please can someone recommend me a DECENT classic?

I'm currently reading The Red Room by Nikki French.

Edited by The Nal