Books

Guest chappiepunk

I've been reading The Stand by Stephen King for a while now... it is 1400 odd pages and small print and I was IN LOVE with it and the characters in it - SK is my favourite writer - he may be popcorn but his characters are always so real (the ones that aren't demons and such!)

Was getting into the last 200 pages but decided to slow down for my flight to england today - had a real facepalm moment when I realised I'd left it on the desk in my house... d'oh! Going to be trawling the charity shops tomorrow...

Would recommend it though for anyone wanting an epic read!

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might give that a go - the only SK book I have read is Rose Madder and I thought it was mediocre - but it was years ago, and I can still remember the bit where one of the characters gets hung off a door knob by her eye socket. So I guess he must be doing something right!

What other SK would you recommend, (not Cujo though)?

Just finished reading Things the grandchildren should know, Mark Everett's autobiography, brilliant read and funny in parts... but i'm a big fan of the eels anyay and it's good to read about his early life and how he got to where he is now

1st time posting in this thread and totally because of this morning.

getting ready to leave for work realised i had nothing new to read on the tube - so i reached to my favourite shelf (all my faves are on one shelf for just such emergencies) and just picked the 1st book that came to hand.

20 mins and 30 pages into my journey and people on the tube are looking at me as if im a weirdo - all im doing is laughing out loud!!

just how genius is Catch 22??

The Stand is a brilliant book as long as the 1400 pages doesn't put you off. It's one of my favorite books and I'm considering a re-read (which I never do).

Other SK books to try, stating the obvious: IT and The Shining (both miles better than the films) or Salems Lot.

If you want something less scary/horror-like then you could try his short story books: Different Seasons (its a collection of 4 stories: Shawshank Redempton, Apt Pupil, The Body (which was turned into the film Stand By Me) and Breathing Method.

Or the Bachman Books is also a very good read with 4 short stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen King...

Writes half a FABULOUS book then ends it with "god did it"

Apart from Misery of course...

but generally if you want a really unsatisfying ending to a long and enoyable read.. Go for Steve.

Just finished "Last And First Men" by Olaf Stapeldon, which is one of the best books I have ever read. Its a future history of the human race, spanning billions of years in to the future. There's no characters or dialogue, but I was gripped from start to finish.

The first few chapters seem slightly dated as it was written in 1930 and he gets the rest of the 20th Century spectacularly wrong, though there are some gems of insight, like America trying to take over the entire world. Once you get past the "First Men", the book really takes off.

well after banging on about the Millenium Trilogy a coupla pages ago I am almost finished with the first book "the girl with the dragon tattoo" and its absolutely fantastic when it gets going. Its a longish book at 560 pages, but well worth the read.

I am actually looking forward to the film as well.

well after banging on about the Millenium Trilogy a coupla pages ago I am almost finished with the first book "the girl with the dragon tattoo" and its absolutely fantastic when it gets going. Its a longish book at 560 pages, but well worth the read.

I am actually looking forward to the film as well.