UK Politics

kalifire

48 minutes ago, LJS said:

I think you'll find that's how coalitions generally work.

Coalitions generally work by the tail wagging the dog.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

exactly this.

This place let's an anti labour narrative run and won't allow criticisms of the Tory like attacks.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

I think you'll find that's how coalitions generally work.

Of course it is. I'm just pointing out that the Greens drop prinicples and change policy to gain power just like Labour have to do now. The Greens are being presented as a pure alternative for people that don't like the grubby compromises necessary to win.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Of course it is. I'm just pointing out that the Greens drop prinicples and change policy to gain power just like Labour have to do now. The Greens are being presented as a pure alternative for people that don't like the grubby compromises necessary to win.

people also don't like the grubby compromises required to form a coalition, just see the libdems in 2010 - i think proponents of PR  are in for a big shock if it ever happens. the posters in this topic tend to not be fans of political reality.

Edited by Neil

13 hours ago, lazyred said:

Bad headlines based on lies have screwed Labour in the past. The Tories had already started saying Labour will cost you thousands in childcare. In an election year they have to neutralise that attack. Even a proposed review would be used against Labour.  The Greens don't alway mean what they say, they accepted stuff they had campaigned against to go into coalition in Scotland.

I am amazed people still do not understand how coalition works - comprises on all sides. Both the Tories and Lib Dems did it in 2010 and it is done all the time in Scotland due to their system and also done in Wales.

Coalition means compromise and yet many seem to not understand this. Often in votes the party that disagrees in the coalition does not vote rather than vote for policy they disagree with.

53 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I am amazed people still do not understand how coalition works - comprises on all sides. Both the Tories and Lib Dems did it in 2010 and it is done all the time in Scotland due to their system and also done in Wales.

Coalition means compromise and yet many seem to not understand this. Often in votes the party that disagrees in the coalition does not vote rather than vote for policy they disagree with.

I understand perfectly how coalitions work. I don't condemn parties for adjusting policy to win power. You don't seem to like this happening before an election but are ok if it happens after. 

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

I understand perfectly how coalitions work. I don't condemn parties for adjusting policy to win power. You don't seem to like this happening before an election but are ok if it happens after. 

Where on earth have I said I am happy with a party in government changing policies they had in their manifesto or are you using the fact I support coalition type government as your 'proof'.

One thing on this forum, as soon as you criticise Labour the attacks come in from all sides. It is almost like you are not allowed to point out things they do or say that are wrong.

What is wrong with me or anyone pointing out that within 7 days they cancelled a review they said they would have and changed to simply carrying on Tory Policy, one that is not working according to the experts (and they do not posy in here).................... maybe this Labour parties supporters like Tory policy - I don't.

As for coalition and you understanding how it works - your post was critisising parties for doing what has to be done in coalitions hence my comments about it.

Anyway, I look forward to the next L:abour U Turn and the blind following of the party by many here regardless of how far to the right the party has moved.

39 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Where on earth have I said I am happy with a party in government changing policies they had in their manifesto or are you using the fact I support coalition type government as your 'proof'.

One thing on this forum, as soon as you criticise Labour the attacks come in from all sides. It is almost like you are not allowed to point out things they do or say that are wrong.

What is wrong with me or anyone pointing out that within 7 days they cancelled a review they said they would have and changed to simply carrying on Tory Policy, one that is not working according to the experts (and they do not posy in here).................... maybe this Labour parties supporters like Tory policy - I don't.

As for coalition and you understanding how it works - your post was critisising parties for doing what has to be done in coalitions hence my comments about it.

Anyway, I look forward to the next L:abour U Turn and the blind following of the party by many here regardless of how far to the right the party has moved.

Look forward to you endlessly criticising labour and then getting upset when someone disagrees.

48 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

No I was criticising you for applying different standards to different parties.

i think the Greens were right to go into coalition, having power lets them implement some things they want at an acceptable cost of some things they don't like. I also understand why Labour accepted the childcare policy despite its flaws because the Tory attack on them was aimed at working families who are a target group for Labour

Edited by lazyred
typo

50 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Its not about being happy with the changes. Its understanding that the reasons might be nothing to do with the merit of the actual policy.  I'm not happy with the Labour U turms but I can see why are done. So far for me I can still support them. If they go too far for me, maybe I'll vote for someone else. They won't mind losing me as long as they still win.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Look forward to you endlessly criticising labour and then getting upset when someone disagrees.

If posting that Labour have uturned (and I have done so for the Lib Dems, Reform, Tories and Green then yes I criticise.

Selective reading is common place on here as has been pointed out by me and many others before.

Have a nice day

50 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Its not about being happy with the changes. Its understanding that the reasons might be nothing to do with the merit of the actual policy.  I'm not happy with the Labour U turms but I can see why are done. So far for me I can still support them. If they go too far for me, maybe I'll vote for someone else. They won't mind losing me as long as they still win.

Which was my position too and the last straw for me was the £28 billion green policy...... I wrote about that back tracking lots and despite me being  a Green supporter there was a small chance of me voting Labour til they scrapped that one but it does not matter cos Labour will come third where I am and Greens 4th or 5th.

So in theory we are both the same in how we think only I have already decided I cannot support a party that is not doing the main thing I want done................... but maybe I am reading this wrong. Who knows.

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

No I was criticising you for applying different standards to different parties.

i think the Greens were right to go into coalition, having power lets them implement some things they want at an acceptable cost of some things they don't like. I also understand why Labour accepted the childcare policy despite its flaws because the Tory attack on them was aimed at working families who are a target group for Labour

What different standards? I have criticised loads of parties for back tracking - see my reply to Stevie.

If you have a policy that you believe in then stick to it regardless of bad headlines - as if you act on bad headlines and another party can guide those headlines you end up being more like that other party than yourselves.

30 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If posting that Labour have uturned (and I have done so for the Lib Dems, Reform, Tories and Green then yes I criticise.

Selective reading is common place on here as has been pointed out by me and many others before.

Have a nice day

uturns aren't necessarily a bad thing.

28 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

What different standards? I have criticised loads of parties for back tracking - see my reply to Stevie.

If you have a policy that you believe in then stick to it regardless of bad headlines - as if you act on bad headlines and another party can guide those headlines you end up being more like that other party than yourselves.

you do realise how politics works, right?

It's why May uturned on that new tax to pay for social care in 2017. They had to calculate whether damage from uturning was worse than damage from keeping policy. 

42 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which was my position too and the last straw for me was the £28 billion green policy...... I wrote about that back tracking lots and despite me being  a Green supporter there was a small chance of me voting Labour til they scrapped that one but it does not matter cos Labour will come third where I am and Greens 4th or 5th.

Voting Lib Dem then?

5 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yeez I really hope not - I can see the faults Labour has and often post to say how they are backtracking.................. soi not sure how you thought that.

You can't see the faults the greens have!

39 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So in theory we are both the same in how we think only I have already decided I cannot support a party that is not doing the main thing I want done................... but maybe I am reading this wrong. Who knows.

Thats fair enough. Everyone has different red lines. For me this time its kicking out the tories. If I lived in your area knowing that Labour will win overall I coud vote Labour, you could vote Green, we'd have a Tory or Lib Dem MP and a Labour Govt. If it was closer nationally I'd be more inclined to vote tactically to ensure the Tory lost. Each time and place is different.